Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How to turn on a phone's Wi-Fi hotspot automatically

Views : 2332

Replies : 27

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 22nd, 2016, 10:49   #1
Lexman8
Premier Member

Default How to turn on a phone's Wi-Fi hotspot automatically

This post describes how to automatically link your car to the internet using your Android phone's Wi-Fi hotspot without having to enable/disable the hotspot every time you use the car.

The Automate app essentially allows you to write a small program (or subroutine) by drawing a flowchart of the required actions. The app is potentially very powerful so if you're unfamiliar with the concepts involved I'd advise caution.

Before you start ensure that the car and phone have already been paired via Bluetooth.
  1. Install the main Automate app from the Google Play store.
  2. Run the app and tap the + (plus) icon top right. The first screen below will appear.
  3. Tap the toolbox icon top left and a menu list will appear.
  4. Tap 'Connectivity' to open a sub-menu (screen 2) then drag and drop 'Bluetooth device connected?' onto the flowchart so that it looks like screen 3.
  5. Link the 2 boxes by a long press on the blue 'OK' button and draw a line down to the box below.
  6. Tap the box you have just added and screen 4 will appear. Tap 'Pick device...' and select the car (usually My Volvo Car). The other fields will fill in automatically. Tap the 'DONE' button to finish this step.
  7. Tap the Toolbox icon and under 'Connectivity' select 'Wi-Fi hotspot set state'. Drag and drop this onto the flowchart as shown in screen 5. Repeat this action so that there are 2 instances of this box as shown.
  8. For each of these last 2 boxes, tap on it and select on or off as the outcome of the logical 'Yes' or 'No' from the Bluetooth box.
  9. Link all the boxes exactly as shown in screen 5 by a long tap and drag on the various coloured buttons.
  10. Tap the 'tick' button top right to save the flowchart.
  11. The next screen will will show the Flow as <Untitled>. Tap this and give it a name.
  12. Tap the 'Start' button and that's it. Also on this screen, if you want the app to run automatically when you turn on the phone, tap the 3-dot menu button top right, select 'Settings' and tick 'Run on system startup'. (I have this set.)
At some point(s) you may be asked for Permissions to: Modify system settings, Pair with Bluetooth devices and Connect and disconnect from Wi-Fi. These are all permissible. Depending upon you phone model and version of Android, there may be other slight differences to the steps above.

EDIT: I should've said that when you first drag the boxes onto the flow the text in them will be different as screen 5 is a snapshot of my flow already set up.
_
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20160922-084539.jpg (36.0 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20160922-084632.jpg (120.1 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20160922-085017.jpg (45.8 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20160922-085335.jpg (96.9 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20160922-085542.jpg (64.5 KB, 60 views)

Last edited by Lexman8; Sep 22nd, 2016 at 10:58. Reason: Additional info
Lexman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Lexman8 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 22nd, 2016, 12:59   #2
BTXC90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexman8 View Post
This post describes how to automatically link your car to the internet using your Android phone's Wi-Fi hotspot without having to enable/disable the hotspot every time you use the car.

The Automate app essentially allows you to write a small program (or subroutine) by drawing a flowchart of the required actions. The app is potentially very powerful so if you're unfamiliar with the concepts involved I'd advise caution.

Before you start ensure that the car and phone have already been paired via Bluetooth.
  1. Install the main Automate app from the Google Play store.
  2. Run the app and tap the + (plus) icon top right. The first screen below will appear.
  3. Tap the toolbox icon top left and a menu list will appear.
  4. Tap 'Connectivity' to open a sub-menu (screen 2) then drag and drop 'Bluetooth device connected?' onto the flowchart so that it looks like screen 3.
  5. Link the 2 boxes by a long press on the blue 'OK' button and draw a line down to the box below.
  6. Tap the box you have just added and screen 4 will appear. Tap 'Pick device...' and select the car (usually My Volvo Car). The other fields will fill in automatically. Tap the 'DONE' button to finish this step.
  7. Tap the Toolbox icon and under 'Connectivity' select 'Wi-Fi hotspot set state'. Drag and drop this onto the flowchart as shown in screen 5. Repeat this action so that there are 2 instances of this box as shown.
  8. For each of these last 2 boxes, tap on it and select on or off as the outcome of the logical 'Yes' or 'No' from the Bluetooth box.
  9. Link all the boxes exactly as shown in screen 5 by a long tap and drag on the various coloured buttons.
  10. Tap the 'tick' button top right to save the flowchart.
  11. The next screen will will show the Flow as <Untitled>. Tap this and give it a name.
  12. Tap the 'Start' button and that's it. Also on this screen, if you want the app to run automatically when you turn on the phone, tap the 3-dot menu button top right, select 'Settings' and tick 'Run on system startup'. (I have this set.)
At some point(s) you may be asked for Permissions to: Modify system settings, Pair with Bluetooth devices and Connect and disconnect from Wi-Fi. These are all permissible. Depending upon you phone model and version of Android, there may be other slight differences to the steps above.

EDIT: I should've said that when you first drag the boxes onto the flow the text in them will be different as screen 5 is a snapshot of my flow already set up.
_
Thanks Lexman8. Will try this out tonight
Old Sep 22nd, 2016, 19:15   #3
acb5

Excellent post. Really well explained. Thanks
Old Sep 22nd, 2016, 21:26   #4
neon
Premier Member

Thanks Lexman, I will give it a go.
Old Sep 23rd, 2016, 00:15   #5
BTXC90

Quote:
Originally Posted by acb5 View Post
Excellent post. Really well explained. Thanks
your signature for fuelly is really cool.

Is it automated for your T8? or do you have to enter everytime you fill the tank?
Old Sep 23rd, 2016, 08:44   #6
Lexman8
Premier Member

I should've added that for those who can't (or don't want to) use Wi-Fi to connect the car to the net, Bluetooth tethering is just as good for most car uses and doesn't have to be enabled each time you use the car.
Old Sep 23rd, 2016, 08:55   #7
neon
Premier Member

Not sure if there is a practical answer to this but. anyone have a rough guide on how much data is being used for the basics on the satnav. Trying to understand if I am going to have to upgrade my data plan.

Last edited by neon; Sep 23rd, 2016 at 09:02.
neon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23rd, 2016, 10:08   #8
Lexman8
Premier Member

Since I installed Automate a few days ago and therefore have RTTI and the Weather app online all the time, I've used a total of about 20MB of data on the phone. Some of this is other use (emails, etc). I've probably driven the car for a total of 2 hours during this time so it looks like data consumption for RTTI plus the Weather is fairly trivial. I'm going to keep monitoring it over the next month.

Obviously, TuneIn or Spotify would whack up data use considerably.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lexman8 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 23rd, 2016, 11:14   #9
yeoman
Master Member

Quote:
I should've added that for those who can't (or don't want to) use Wi-Fi to connect the car to the net, Bluetooth tethering is just as good for most car uses and doesn't have to be enabled each time you use the car.

Isn't there a problem that you cannot make or receive calls via Bluetooth whilst using Bluetooth tethering ?
yeoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23rd, 2016, 11:23   #10
neon
Premier Member

Quote:
Since I installed Automate a few days ago and therefore have RTTI and the Weather app online all the time, I've used a total of about 20MB of data on the phone. Some of this is other use (emails, etc). I've probably driven the car for a total of 2 hours during this time so it looks like data consumption for RTTI plus the Weather is fairly trivial. I'm going to keep monitoring it over the next month.

Obviously, TuneIn or Spotify would whack up data use considerably.
Great, that was the answer I was looking for, I will see how it goes and monitor usage.