Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Sensus POIs?

Views : 352

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 18th, 2023, 15:39   #1
1981George

Default Sensus POIs?

Hello,
Is there any wy to manually add a point of interest to the Sensus navigation unit?
When I got it I thought I'd be able to save my home location, or when I got to a location I'd be able to save my location as a favourite etc.
I can't seem to find a way. The only thing I can find is about loading POIs from a memory stick which I've not tried yet but is a bit clunkier than I'd like.
Thanks
George
1981George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th, 2023, 18:29   #2
apersson850
Premier Member

Yes, you can save a location in any of the Sensus systems. Loading a list of POIs, like ice cream dealers or speed cameras is best supported by the system in model year 2012-2013. The system can read a GPX file with positions and a bitmap (you can make one with Paint in Windows) that's displayed on the map screen where such a POI is located.
Model years 2014-2016 can handle camera positions in the map data, but aren't supporting separate lists as well.
apersson850 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to apersson850 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 18th, 2023, 18:49   #3
Tatsfield
Premier Member

On Sensus, are you using memorised journeys? If you navigate to your home it will be one of the memorised destinations that you can select wherever you are regardless of how you originally navigated there. And if you use it routinely it will remain in the memorised list.v Also, IIRC, having completed a journey you can opt for the return route which will take you home if you set out from home.
Old Dec 18th, 2023, 21:35   #4
1981George

Quote:
Originally Posted by apersson850 View Post
Yes, you can save a location in any of the Sensus systems. Loading a list of POIs, like ice cream dealers or speed cameras is best supported by the system in model year 2012-2013. The system can read a GPX file with positions and a bitmap (you can make one with Paint in Windows) that's displayed on the map screen where such a POI is located.
Model years 2014-2016 can handle camera positions in the map data, but aren't supporting separate lists as well.
How can you save them? I've gone through all the options and can't seem to find a way to save a location. I'll be heading to France in the summer for a holiday and from living there for ~4 years found the best way to find a location was to get it's coordinates from google maps first and then load them into a satnav. I only really want to do that once so would like to be able to save them from the car rather than faff about with POIs. I've got a 2014 V70.
Old Dec 18th, 2023, 21:36   #5
apersson850
Premier Member

The feature that the car can remember a route is dependent on that you go from the same A to the same B at least three times, and each time you take a route that's not what the GPS will calculate. Then it will remember your choice and use that instead of what the map data indicates.
But this feature is only in the systems used 2012-2013. The one from 2014 is different. It lacks some of the features from the older system and adds other.

With the newer system you can locate a destination on your phone and send it to the car.

Both systems will, as you write, allow you to return to where you started from.
Old Dec 19th, 2023, 10:00   #6
1981George

I've found how to store locations. I'll have to get more practiced but I think when you put the location in by which ever method, address, post code, coordinates etc. you can then view it on the map. From the map screen you can then save it as a location.
I'm pretty sure my Garmin portable unit was like this too. You had to view it on the map and then you could save it.
Old Dec 19th, 2023, 10:32   #7
Tatsfield
Premier Member

I'm not sure if saving routes is the same as saving destinations. My 2012 Sensus saves destinations to a "Previous Destinations" list to which it adds the latest destination to the top and removes the last one from the bottom of the list which contains about a dozen or more locations. Saving routes seems to be more subtle, as said, in that if you continuously insist on a route different from the one the map system offers, the system adopts your route for future journeys. However these routes are not listed differently from standard routes when listed in the previous destinations list.

The major problem with my 2012 Sensus is that it is now unsupported by Volvo and will not be able to show any future new roads or traffic systems which is disgraceful for a company like Volvo!
Old Dec 20th, 2023, 11:21   #8
apersson850
Premier Member

There is a different confusion here too, if you compare different systems. The 2012 can save destinations visible to the user, and save "learned" routes invisible to the user.

The 2016 system can save a route you've driven, export to USB stick and load that into another car with the same system, so they can replicate a route you took earlier. That's a different way of saving a route.