Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What's Your Mpg?

Views : 11094

Replies : 152

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 5th, 2008, 16:20   #21
AndysR
VOC Member

Volvo 854R auto with a/c on is getting an indicated 25.7 mpg which is mostly town driving with a few longer stretches here and there. Recently on my way to get the car Rica'd I did a 100 mile trip and averaged 29.8 mpg which I didn't think was bad, got 27 on the way back but it was post rica with a few little "blips" here and there! But my nick name is Grandad and that was as a result of my driving style so I am sure it would be worse in the hands of someone who likes to make progress on the roads!

Last edited by AndysR; Jan 5th, 2008 at 16:21. Reason: Spelling
AndysR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5th, 2008, 16:33   #22
S80 Volvic

Smile

S80 D5 manual

I have done 3000miles since last zeroing the computer, do most of my miles around town and have a very light right foot. Average mileage is currently showing 46.5mpg.
My previous car was a 850 estate with a 2L 20valve engine. It averaged 30mpg, again mostly around town.
S80 Volvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5th, 2008, 16:42   #23
Paul240480
Ovlovnut

480 Turbo Auto with 137k (Wifeys car & she has got a leaded boot!) 27.8 commuting about 300 miles a week.

240GL Estate (B200E) 180K about 30 average

Not had a decent long 'blat' in either recently
http://moncopainmonchien.jimdo.com/
Paul240480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5th, 2008, 18:00   #24
Timbo_1975

The only one on the road at the moment is the '97 S70 2.5 10 man and is on 30.8mpg having not been reset for some time. This was 32 odd mpg before the cold weather came.

That's mixed A and B road runs.

Tim..
Timbo_1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5th, 2008, 18:46   #25
milster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper_7 View Post
Us D5 owners are always going to win this one!

Volvo S60 2.4 D5 163BHP

45 ish MPG on average.

On a long run motorway only then easily 60+

BTW the Prius is not as economical as you might think!
You will get more MPG around town - as your mainly on electrical power
but on a run it's just a normal petrol burner and not "that" efficient compared to some.
The batteries also contain lead making it a bit of a pig to create and to recycle environmentally they also suffer from memory so they become less and less efficient over time.

Secondly as they can't be charged from the mains ( which is very poor anyway from the original coal burning power station to electrical back to chemical) only by the kinetic to chemical energy conversion under braking, when your in town that momentum is low anyway - due to being in town, so you quite often find the batteries are pretty much flat - unless you go on a run. Yes the petrol engine also charges the batteries but again you lose loads of energy again converting it several times over.

Electrical cars "clean" my backside!
http://www.batterycouncil.org/recycling.html seems like they can be recycled and everything re used, not all batteries suffer massively over time as it depends on the design of it as well as the materials used. The loss from conversion is bad but from what I remember reading it still works out more efficient because power stations are relative to a cars petrol engine , it is bad there is no plug in prius but isn't that changing with the newer model?

my mpg isn't great but only recently changed the thermostat and coolant temperature sensor, I average 29.2 mpg 50 / 50 motorway.
milster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5th, 2008, 19:15   #26
JIM C
Forum Support Team

My Amazon B20 A does approx 25/27 mpg on shorter runs and over 30 on a longer run. No overdrive fitted yet. No heavy right foot work.
Old Jan 5th, 2008, 21:37   #27
Muscas
Master Member

Smile

V70R AWD, 24MPG

VW Polo Blue Motion, 70MPG
1994 Volvo 480ES 2.0i (In and out of Roadworthiness)
2017 Toyota Land Cruiser, daily car
Muscas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5th, 2008, 21:58   #28
STE-MAL
You Can't Beat A Swede

Wink

1998 V70 R, I didn't buy the car to save money, I bought the car because it's great fun, looks great and no one else round hear has one thats such a silly colour.

She costs me the world in fuel, maximum of 25 mpg day to day, more like 22 the way I drive her, but she returns the favour with smile factor.

I don't want to sound rude, but if you want fuel figures better than 28 mpg then I would buy a smaller car and buy a diesel.
2017 V40 T-3 Inscription Auto
STE-MAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2008, 16:49   #29
scrumper

Default D5 wins again

2006 S60 2.4D 163 (really a D5)

Currently computer shows 48.3 - probably a bit optimistic.

In the summer it creeps up to about 51ish. Engine heats up quicker, better traffic conditions and less heated seats.
scrumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2008, 17:09   #30
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by STE-MAL View Post
1998 V70 R, I didn't buy the car to save money, I bought the car because it's great fun, looks great and no one else round hear has one thats such a silly colour.

She costs me the world in fuel, maximum of 25 mpg day to day, more like 22 the way I drive her, but she returns the favour with smile factor.

I don't want to sound rude, but if you want fuel figures better than 28 mpg then I would buy a smaller car and buy a diesel.
How true you are..
I bought my V90 because I knew it was a very comfortable car. Smooth engine and drive.
Great for long distance cruising and with a great enjoyment factor.
It is B-I-G (bigger than the 800/70 equivalent) so would be able to carry most anything I ever needed to get in the back (Beer from Germany!!) again, in total comfort.
And in almost complete safety...

I knew I would be getting a pretty deplorable mpg from the car, but then I know I can buy one hell of a load of petrol for the £5K I saved buying it over a WWD 70 that was newer or a D5...
If I was that worried about mpg I'd be in bl00dy Smart!!!
If people were that worried about their mpg they would likely not be driving Volvos or other big cars!!! Which begs the question: What the f*** are you doing driving a Volvo??!!

Every time I see these "What MPG do you get" topics (there have been 3 or 4) I can only compare it to those people who rush out and buy a new car to be better than their neighbours style one-upmanship mentality.....

Get yourselves a life please...
/rant off...

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote