Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Wheel Alignment

Views : 996

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 5th, 2009, 19:23   #1
NI_Volvo_Nut
Volvologist

Default Wheel Alignment

IS there soemthing difficult about doing alignment on the S70's, so far its been done 5 times in the space of 6 months and it still aint right, its going back again tomorrow. Modern tyre service in Strabane done it about 6 months ago, and took them 3 goes to get it right, and it still wasnt right, but drove straight so i lived with it, then i discovered a tyre worn on the edge again, but i found a ball joint away, so that explained that, fitted a new ball joint at the end of nov, and got the alignment done again, this time same francise (sp) but different centre, they said the alignment was massively out and get a re check, they have state of the art lazer equiment and made a good job of the 405, so i thought give'em the Volvo, set it up, didnt feel great and got gradually worse to the point i didnt like driving it, so got back today with it for its re-check, no surprise it was out again, it hasnt done big miles either, about 1000 miles since 1st done last month. Driving home tonight i thought, that wheel isnt straight, got a straight bit of road and guess what, i was right, back again tomorrow AGGGRRRRHHHH

Rant Over

What's the matter with the car I'm driving?
Can't you tell that it's out of style?
Should I get a set of white wall tires?
Are you gonna cruise the miracle mile?
NI_Volvo_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 20:00   #2
stuartvolvo
Trader

Default tracking

sorry to hear of your troubles. I just cant understand why they cant seem to track it. When i ran a friends garage, when ever it was quiet i tracked my own vehicles, with no problem. The volvo is a strange one to track though. It is just as easy to do as other cars, although it is the tracking settings, that are quite different from most cars if i remember correctly. Unfortunatley i can not remember what they are though. If you do a search you should be able to find out what they are.
regards
stuart

Volvo V70 T5 Estate - Strut Brace, Pollen Filter, Polly Mounts, Tinted Windows, Upgraded Discs, 17in Wheels, Stainless exhaust, Overhaulled turbo & wast gate, ecu remap, k&n filter, white injectors = 380+ bhp.
stuartvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 20:21   #3
Clan
Experienced Member

which setting exactly keeps altering? Are they using the correct figures ? Volvo update them every now and then , the dealer will have the latest correct figures ...
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 20:27   #4
NI_Volvo_Nut
Volvologist

I'm not oufea witht e technical jargon, toe setting's? Altered by the trackrod ends. No tsure what they are setting it at, but the equipment is nothing i've ever seen before, its infa-red, all dont by computer, £60k worth of kit, but as any computer its only as good as the guy using it, but it is linked online and is kept up to date, according to the manager of the shop anyway. Honestly couldnt fault the 405, it was perfect. Hopefully i'll get a chance to go back tomorrow and hopefully that will be it.

Old Jan 5th, 2009, 20:53   #5
cam
Premier Member

Smile

just been on ebay and found this 250350476841 i dont know how to do links, anybody know if their any good,aa approved apparantly,i would be interested in buying one of these if they work,anybody advise ,cam.
cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 20:57   #6
NI_Volvo_Nut
Volvologist

Linky : http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...841%26_fvi%3D1

We've and electrical version of that in work as part of the brake tester, not a good job tbh, slightest thing upsets the readings.

Old Jan 5th, 2009, 21:15   #7
cam
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NI_Volvo_Nut View Post
Linky : http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...841%26_fvi%3D1

We've and electrical version of that in work as part of the brake tester, not a good job tbh, slightest thing upsets the readings.
cheers mate i thought it might be a bit whats the word (no good) ,cam.
cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 09:04   #8
peter9000uk

Did they do all 4 wheels? I had a similar problem on my 850. The same place did it 3 times and it never felt right and wore the tyres. Took it to a new place new where I live and he checked all 4 and the rears were miles out. No problems since and the steering wheel is nice and straight when you drive now!
peter9000uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 09:42   #9
NI_Volvo_Nut
Volvologist

Aye, its the latest equipment, i think the gimps just cant use it ffs

Old Jan 7th, 2009, 20:12   #10
Juzzaman

Ok well after my wheel alignment last week, i wasnt satisfied. Steering still pulled slightly and wheel was not straight (this maybe nothing to do with tracking though). On nearly full lock either way the car seemed to jump over itself to turn.

Took it back and got it rechecked today and they redid it no questions asked and the young tech said it was only 1mm out! Now i dont know to much about the science, but it seems perfect now. So 1mm does matter!!

Regards
Justin

Juzzaman is offline   Reply With Quote