Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Maverick Drivers

Views : 11423

Replies : 175

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 18th, 2009, 18:13   #1
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Default Maverick Drivers

Does anyone else get as annoyed as I do when i come up behind an HGV who has decided to straddle 2 lanes when comeing up towards roadworks or reduction of 2 lanes into one when there is a traffic queue? There is also the case where 2 drivers sit beside each other to stop anyone getting past them.

They seem to have the notion that it reduces the traffic jam - it certainly does in front of them, however it means that it all starts behind them! I was stuck behind 2 of these idiots today in a 3 mile tail back that was actually a lot less than that because we were only using one lane for most of the tailback due to there ignorance.

This seems to be becoming more prevalent and I don't know why these people thing that they have the right to implement a rolling road block.

Anyone feel the same, or am I alone in my frusration and anger at these people?
wimorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wimorrison For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 18th, 2009, 19:10   #2
stompingbinkie

Ive noticed that round my way too. Mostly HGV drivers doing it, but the odd taxi gives it a whirl too. Can still squeeze through on my bike though!
Old Nov 18th, 2009, 19:18   #3
gillberry
VOC Member

Noticed this over the years but where they are trying to stop people getting passed because they have sat in queue all that time they would actually get thru quicker if evryone merged one after the other into the single lane .

1968 Amazon estate (Gracie).
2003 Vauxhall astra estate (her car)
2009 XC90 (Jo) .
Not forgetting 1967 Cheltenham Nyala (caravan)
gillberry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gillberry For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 18th, 2009, 19:30   #4
andy_d
Premier Member

seen this so many times
i Guess its down to the "me first" mentality ?
They have sat in the queue for That long, filtered in good time, then some Cheeky person whizzes down the empty land and shoves in at the last moment, which does annoy folks, (unless its them doing it of course) and hgv /taxi/car drivers think they Can stop it by blocking the other lane, They want to be first ,not the so called cheeky driver nips down the empty carridgeway.

It does seem to just not occur to either of those types that if Everyone just went with the flow, at sensible speed For the flow/jam , remained calm then everyone would get past the whatever caused it quicker and with less stress.

Both annoy me, the "ill block the road" and the "ill zoom down the outside and shove in" types, but there welcome to carry on as they please, ill try and stay calm relaxed and with luck they will disapear soon and have any accidents they are planning to on there own well away from me.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to andy_d For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 18th, 2009, 21:17   #5
tt82
Forum Support Team

Gets ready to duck

My dad is a HGV driver and he does this, i also occasionly do it myself. If people filtered into the correct lanes as soon as they see the signs then traffic flow would be smoother, instead some idiot drives right upto the front and cuts in front of someone and makes them brake to avoid a collision. The effect of this is that 10-15 cars back traffic comes to a complete stop. Instead of everyone reducing their speed on the approach to the roadworks we have the scenario where you have to come to a complete stop before accelerating upto the stated temporary speed limit again.

Those who ignore/fail to see the signs and carry on till they are at the cones are the people who show the generally poor driving ability and inmpatient selfish driving attitudes that infest this country. I will never let these people in the queue at the cones if they arrive at the same time as me.

I would also like to point out these are most likely the same people who cut across 3 lanes of traffic to take the slip road off the motorway after passing the 100 yd marker or travel to the end of the slip road before forcing a way on the motorway when traffic is slow moving or stationary instead of puling onto the motorway at the earliest available opportunity.

I'm all for making progress when possible but the above is just a selfish, ignorant attitude.

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to tt82 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 18th, 2009, 21:44   #6
Goldmember
Master Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt82 View Post
Gets ready to duck

My dad is a HGV driver and he does this, i also occasionly do it myself. If people filtered into the correct lanes as soon as they see the signs then traffic flow would be smoother, instead some idiot drives right upto the front and cuts in front of someone and makes them brake to avoid a collision. The effect of this is that 10-15 cars back traffic comes to a complete stop. Instead of everyone reducing their speed on the approach to the roadworks we have the scenario where you have to come to a complete stop before accelerating upto the stated temporary speed limit again.

Those who ignore/fail to see the signs and carry on till they are at the cones are the people who show the generally poor driving ability and inmpatient selfish driving attitudes that infest this country. I will never let these people in the queue at the cones if they arrive at the same time as me.

I would also like to point out these are most likely the same people who cut across 3 lanes of traffic to take the slip road off the motorway after passing the 100 yd marker or travel to the end of the slip road before forcing a way on the motorway when traffic is slow moving or stationary instead of puling onto the motorway at the earliest available opportunity.

I'm all for making progress when possible but the above is just a selfish, ignorant attitude.

Well said that man .. couldn't agree more.

Steve
MegaBob - ‘04 XC90 D5 Spanish! ShedBob - ‘01 Moondust T5 V70, FilthyBob - '04 Silver 2.4 D5 SE V70, Rydell - '99 Silver R AWD V70, SagaBob - '98 Ruby Red 2.5T V70
Goldmember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2009, 21:46   #7
DuncVolvoTurbo
Yes....I'm Back!

I'm with you on this one too TT82, I have been known to do it in my Volvo (not HGV).
'05 XC90, '97 945, '94 854, '92 964, '93 944, '93 945, '89 244, '92 440
DuncVolvoTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2009, 21:47   #8
andy_d
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt82 View Post
Gets ready to duck

ill send the duck ala orange if i can keep the chicken/cashewnuts/beansprouts and bamboo shoots ?
Old Nov 18th, 2009, 22:14   #9
940SportsEdition
From sweden with love

I do it too all the time in a coach and in my car, those who think the signs do not apply to them can sit in the outside lane, and it is not the me first mentality at all, it is the I have paid attention to the signs filtered in correctly and why should some t*t think he has the right to barge in. Same as the ones who lane jump in traffic jams gets them nowhere. So I supose what the original poster is also saying is, that when he sees a que of people waiting patiently he just goes to the front and has no idea why people complain, same thing in the end. So if that means me first attitude, then yes.
940 Sports Edition, Graphite galaxy's, turbo plus kit, roof bars, dog guard, load cover, load tray, seven seats.
940SportsEdition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2009, 22:47   #10
davew

In these situations I sometimes wonder if they would barge in front of you with their trolley at the tills in Asda, because in my eyes its the same. I would be willing to be my house they wouldnt.

I think thats why it winds me up even more, they are like telephone (or internet) hardmen.

I have only ever got proper road rage once, and that was because I was having an especially bad day anyway. I came to a road narrowing at the same time as a car coming the other way. I had priority and started to go through and he just speed up and tried to force me to reverse. For the only time in my life I lost it and got out of the car, and walk purposfuly towards his car. His agressive face and hands motions soon stopped and he started panicing hit reverse and went back about 20 meters. I just thought to myself "thats about right" got back in the car and carried on.

I totaly agree with the let the traffic flow method, although sometimes it is really difficult just becuase of peoples attitude. Everyday on my commute there are 2 situations where I need to merge into a lane of slow moving traffic. I am amazed how many agressive drivers there are who just will not let you in, sitting on the bumper of the car in front making it clear their intentions.

Why would they do that? wow they have saved one car lenght of there journey. It grips me...