Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

HIDs Fitted

Views : 7223

Replies : 119

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 2nd, 2011, 19:42   #111
GaryS40
VOC Member

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1tch1987 View Post
Ah ok, thats fine then, I think I will just find some decent halogen units like the Osram nightbreakers or something, im pretty sure Halogen/Xenon headlights have come on a long way since when I had my classic mini

Just checked a few reviews on the standard halogen bulbs, seems that the Osram 'cool blue' seems to come out on top, they seem to be about £20 a set, will have to see how long they last for.
I used halogen Xenon bulbs on my Avensis (which had projector type dipped beams)and they gave out less light than the standard bulbs.

Swapped back within a fortnight, as my eyes were straining to see at night.

That was just over a year ago, too.

Gary
Mod's so far: Orpheus alloys, 10.1" android multimedia head unit, Nappa leather rebuilt, wood trimmed m/function steering wheel, Polestar blue and black calipers, Pipe Dynamics custom turbo back stainless steel exhaust, with 200 cell sports cat, R engine and injector rail covers, tinted rear windows.
Previous cars:
1982 760 GLE saloon
1989 740 GLE estate
1991 440 S
2003 S40 S - Gone but not forgotten. ☹
16 non Volvos.
GaryS40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2nd, 2011, 19:45   #112
andy_d
Premier Member

dont bother with "blue tint" lights

osram nightbreakers or the phillips ones give you far better light to see by at night,

FYI
the More blue tint in the light, the Less visable light it throws out onto the roads.
you can get a "white" light with less "lumens" than a "blue" yet you will see a Lot more and clearer with the white light than the "blue".

despite the chav's loving the blue tint lights, they do not provide as much light as the proper white colour does. not that it matters much to them on mcd'd carpark...
The Following User Says Thank You to andy_d For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 2nd, 2011, 20:21   #113
GaryS40
VOC Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_d View Post
dont bother with "blue tint" lights

osram nightbreakers or the phillips ones give you far better light to see by at night,

FYI
the More blue tint in the light, the Less visable light it throws out onto the roads.
you can get a "white" light with less "lumens" than a "blue" yet you will see a Lot more and clearer with the white light than the "blue".

despite the chav's loving the blue tint lights, they do not provide as much light as the proper white colour does. not that it matters much to them on mcd'd carpark...
The Xenon bulbs I had were pure white, but the light output was poor.

I put it down to cheaply made bulbs, from China / Japan.

Better using quality bulbs for the headlights, even though they are more expensive.

That extra few metres of usable light could save your life!

Gary
Mod's so far: Orpheus alloys, 10.1" android multimedia head unit, Nappa leather rebuilt, wood trimmed m/function steering wheel, Polestar blue and black calipers, Pipe Dynamics custom turbo back stainless steel exhaust, with 200 cell sports cat, R engine and injector rail covers, tinted rear windows.
Previous cars:
1982 760 GLE saloon
1989 740 GLE estate
1991 440 S
16 non Volvos.
Old Jun 2nd, 2011, 20:24   #114
andy_d
Premier Member

sod that, i want it to save the paintwork from scratches "!" i know how long ive spent getting it to look 1/2 decent last thing i want to do is rub a hedge the wrong way , or splatter a moose all over it
Old Jun 2nd, 2011, 20:27   #115
m1tch1987
Premier Member

Yeah I know the higher up the 'heat' rating, the closer to blue/purple it gets, the lower the output, I believe that the Osram lights are something like 4000k colour.

I have had 1 bulb blow on the way back from picking the car up, swapped over the high beam on one side so I can dipped on both, never really use high beam etc.

I fitted HIDs to my other car aaaages back and it did make a massive difference, however I can't fit HIDs to my car, so will have to go for a good Halogen set, I guess a set of £20 Osrams for the dipped beam, standard Volvo high beams and LED DRLs should be sufficient. I mean the cheap HID kits are like £25 now, they were about £50 when I bought them waaay back, but then I would have to fit them by cutting the rear seals and then wiring in the ballast etc, its pretty cramped on the passenger side as it is lol.

Im not going to know some of the bulbs that come out from China/Japan and I would NEVER buy 'blue tint' bulbs, don't look very good either. There are some mass produced bulbs that are cheap and good, just need to find the right sort, but will probably get some Osrams.
m1tch1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2nd, 2011, 20:33   #116
Volvon
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_d View Post
sod that, i want it to save the paintwork from scratches "!" i know how long ive spent getting it to look 1/2 decent last thing i want to do is rub a hedge the wrong way , or splatter a moose all over it
The car would be splattered all over the moose more like..I just walked 20 metres past one going out to the car it was in the woods next to the house..sh1t myself..2 metres tall - at the shoulder!

Volvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2nd, 2011, 20:35   #117
andy_d
Premier Member

so the moose would make more of a mess of ME / the car so worrying about me paintwork wouldnt be needed.....

i might get hung for it,, but

i fitted a set of halfrauds own brand "extreme brilliance" bulbs to my 940, (if you think p1 40 lights are bad , try 18y/o 940 ones,,) they lasted nearly 3 years.
fitted the H7 version to the s40 when i got it ,, nearly 3 years ago now, and so far they havent needed replacing. I do have "DRL" turned OFF in the spring/summer and part of autum.

Last edited by andy_d; Jun 2nd, 2011 at 20:39.
andy_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2nd, 2011, 20:43   #118
GaryS40
VOC Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1tch1987 View Post
Yeah I know the higher up the 'heat' rating, the closer to blue/purple it gets, the lower the output, I believe that the Osram lights are something like 4000k colour.

I have had 1 bulb blow on the way back from picking the car up, swapped over the high beam on one side so I can dipped on both, never really use high beam etc.

I fitted HIDs to my other car aaaages back and it did make a massive difference, however I can't fit HIDs to my car, so will have to go for a good Halogen set, I guess a set of £20 Osrams for the dipped beam, standard Volvo high beams and LED DRLs should be sufficient. I mean the cheap HID kits are like £25 now, they were about £50 when I bought them waaay back, but then I would have to fit them by cutting the rear seals and then wiring in the ballast etc, its pretty cramped on the passenger side as it is lol.

Im not going to know some of the bulbs that come out from China/Japan and I would NEVER buy 'blue tint' bulbs, don't look very good either. There are some mass produced bulbs that are cheap and good, just need to find the right sort, but will probably get some Osrams.
I would stick with Osram, or Phillips.

They seem to be the halogen of choice.

Just found out that the reflective caps are not available fof the HID lights, as a separate item, so scrappy trawling will have to begin. :-(

Gary
Previous cars:
1982 760 GLE saloon
1989 740 GLE estate
1991 440 S
16 non Volvos.
Old Jun 2nd, 2011, 20:55   #119
Dandle
Master Member

I used Osram Silverstars when I had my S40 they were much better performance/light wise and didn't blow too quickly. I was on my second set when the car was sold after I'd had it 5 years. I tried Philips Bluevision I think it was and they blew pretty quickly, I know the Nightbreakers don't last long either.
Dandle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dandle For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 2nd, 2011, 21:10   #120
m1tch1987
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandle View Post
I used Osram Silverstars when I had my S40 they were much better performance/light wise and didn't blow too quickly. I was on my second set when the car was sold after I'd had it 5 years. I tried Philips Bluevision I think it was and they blew pretty quickly, I know the Nightbreakers don't last long either.
Thanks for that, I will have a look for the Silverstars then
m1tch1987 is offline   Reply With Quote