Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Comfortable wheels for V60

Views : 776

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 12th, 2022, 11:27   #1
Hwalker1

Smile Comfortable wheels for V60

I own a basic v60. It's fitted with winter tyres which are not the most comfortable wheels to drive on. The car is registered 02-01-2017. If I fit normal tyres will it be a softer ride?
Currently on original basic 16 inch alloys
It's reached the stage that my family refuses to travel with me. They are used to my BMW 7 SERIES which is a bit more comfortable. If so what tyres should I fit?
Hwalker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th, 2022, 16:18   #2
Easington
Master Member

Presume everyone thinks it's too firm?

Which I'd be surprised at considering the 16" wheels are the smallest fitment available and therefore the tallest sidewall tyre.

Perhaps try a summer tyre but can't see it making a massive difference being honest. Fitting bigger sized wheels would make it worse
Old Oct 12th, 2022, 16:41   #3
Ulrikas PA
Master Member

I find my V60 too stiff and too crashy on 17" wheels on broken roads. It's ok elsewhere. I

I actually put a post on about ideas on better front shocks (Bilstein/Koni?) But got zero replies, so assumed it was ' just me' or V60 owners aren't into that sort of thing.

Playing with the tyre pressures made no difference either...

I did wonder about fitting 18 inch cross country wheels with 55 profile tyres (mine are 45), but that could be an expensive gamble.

Last edited by Ulrikas PA; Oct 12th, 2022 at 16:44.
Ulrikas PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2022, 13:08   #4
Sotosound
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hwalker1 View Post
I own a basic v60. It's fitted with winter tyres which are not the most comfortable wheels to drive on. The car is registered 02-01-2017. If I fit normal tyres will it be a softer ride?
Currently on original basic 16 inch alloys
It's reached the stage that my family refuses to travel with me. They are used to my BMW 7 SERIES which is a bit more comfortable. If so what tyres should I fit?
Strange.

My wife has a V60 D3 R-Design with sports suspension and 18" wheels but no-one has ever complained about the ride quality. To be honest, Volvo seats normally act as an additional shock absorber, so this doesn't sound right to me at all.

If it were a CD player or washing machine, I'd be wondering whether or not the transit bolts had accidentally been left in place.

How long have you owned your V60? Is it new to you?

Last edited by Sotosound; Oct 13th, 2022 at 15:55.
Sotosound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2022, 17:25   #5
Swedishtimemachine

I have a S60 SE Lux and have moved form 18" to 17". The ride has improved but round town its a little bumpy, not crashing as if the suspension was too stiff but as if the dampers are not doing there job. Its a little annoying but once on a faster moving A road you tend to forget.
Swedishtimemachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2022, 20:23   #6
dhr90

How old is your 7 series? I’d be surprised if you could make the V60 as comfortable as a 7. They’re just designed to different markets and different budgets really. Whilst I would say the V60 seats are far superior to the seats in my dads 5 series, the ride in the bmw is far superior everywhere.
Old Oct 13th, 2022, 20:28   #7
Ulrikas PA
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedishtimemachine View Post
I have a S60 SE Lux and have moved form 18" to 17". The ride has improved but round town its a little bumpy, not crashing as if the suspension was too stiff but as if the dampers are not doing there job. Its a little annoying but once on a faster moving A road you tend to forget.
That's exactly what I feel with the diesel hybrid on 17s. I put a post on as I think different front shocks might help, but will have to scour the Dutch forums as it drew a blank on here
Ulrikas PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2022, 20:55   #8
Swedishtimemachine

Its a little annoying but probably not sufficiently annoying that I am forced to do something about. I fear that if I chase a solution other than a relatively low cost option of swapping wheels, it becomes expensive compared to the value of the car. Granted a v60 d6 is worth more than my car.
Swedishtimemachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14th, 2022, 08:22   #9
Sotosound
Premier Member

@Hwalker1

Has anything that we've posted helped in any way?
Sotosound is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tyres; comfort;