Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Suicide pedestrian?? Me?!?

Views : 1321

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 28th, 2003, 12:22   #11
morsing
Premier Member

Default RE: Suicide pedestrian?? Me?!?

Roses! And I'll be sure to leave you any spare Volvos I have Nige, just contact my lawyer after I'm gone.

Okay, let's not get carried away here. I clearly said that I wasn't stepping out in front of cars. In the two incidents I described, the cars where stationary on the main road until I was half way through, THEN they started to turn and try to hit me.

In the cases where the cars have come from the side road I have in all cases made sure they had seen me and plenty of room to stop. The only reason I have been in danger in these situations is because they have let go of the brake to scare me.

I'm not saying I'm stepping out when the car is 20 ft away (dep. on speed). I still think I'm being pretty fair here.

Cheers
'70 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu
'95 Saab 9000 CSE 2.0 Turbo Auto
morsing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2003, 12:30   #12
Mav_UK

Still stepping out when there is plenty of room to stop is stepping out in front of a car. Crossing where you can get to the other side before the car reaches you is what you should be looking at. Quite a few Dutch people I know think like this and the thought of what may happen when they go to the UK terrifies me!

With the stationary cars on the main road, fine they are stopped when you cross, but do you check that they are not likely to start to move, again if they have been waiting for a gap in the traffic they may not have seen you step out (motorist fault for not looking, but that brings us back to crying cars).

The problem exists in Holland with cyclists too, as they have are never responsible, can be the cause but are never responsible in court, they seem to think they are invincible and can sue any driver that gets near them. They forget that sue you have to be breathing.

Just let common sense, and a bit of forward planning do the thinking. Can I cross without causing anyone to alter thier course? Yes then cross, no then wait.

Sorry to rant a bit but carelessness on roads (drivers , motorbike riders, cyclists, skaters or pedestrians) is a pet hate of mine, it can cause so much agro for absolutely no reason.

Stu

PS Great thread though!
Old Apr 28th, 2003, 14:10   #13
cootuk
Premier Member

I thought the highway code stated that you give way to pedestrians who are already crossing if you are turning into a side road.
Pedestrians should look both ways before crossing to ensure it is safe to cross.

But here in Bradford you're lucky if some people will even stop at a zebra crossing when you're on it,........some people seem to think it's a good place to overtake too.
cootuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2003, 15:19   #14
morsing
Premier Member

I suppose the problem is I come from a country with cyclists. I DK the "road" consists of lanes for cars in the middle, then a bike lane on each side (you won't find a road without them) and then the pavement.

If you don't stop before the whole road you'll be hit by a bike and your car will cry. Well, you'll definately cry because the cycslist will beat you up real good.

No matter that you don't have bikes over here, I still think that you should stop BEFORE the road incl. pavement!! Why is it so difficult to stop 4ft earlier?? You can still see the road.

Cheers
'70 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu
'95 Saab 9000 CSE 2.0 Turbo Auto
morsing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2003, 16:16   #15
migrator
Aye - him again

UK Highway Code Rule 146 states that any vehicle turning from a major road into a minor road must give priority to any pedestrians ALREADY crossing the junction.

What is not clear from the Highway Code are the rules for priority when a pedestrian is crossing a junction and a vehicle is emerging or intending to emerge from the minor road to the major road.

My own opinion (and this is probably in keeping with many others) will vary depending on whether I am driving or walking.
migrator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29th, 2003, 06:33   #16
Mav_UK

Actually most roads I know of in Leicester you can hardly see the road when you stop at the road, let alone 4 foot earlier. Plus if you get rid of all give way signs and make every junction a 'stop' can you imagine the congestion this would cause? Why can't you simply wait for the car to pass? I am not saying this a only a driver, in Holland it's very difficult to be only a driver, I walk, cycle, ride a motorbike and drive a car. And it still seems like the best option to me - less hassle all around and what UK children are (were?) taught froma very young age - simple rule, the car is much stronger than you and will cause you much more damage so treat with respect. The same should go for drivers of course, the car is a very dangerous machine, and should be treated as such.

As for the situation you describe with the cycle lanes, if the car if having to cross the cycle lane then it should be treated the same as crossing anyother junction. If there is a cycle coming down the road / cycle lane and you have to give way then that's exactly what you should do. And I maintain that I have still yet to see a car cry after an accident (I don't know, maybe in Leicester cars are just emotionally stunted :) ).

Stu