Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > AWD Discussion
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

AWD Discussion A forum dedicated to the AWD systems fitted to Volvo cars.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Transfer box woes

Views : 2189

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 22nd, 2014, 14:54   #1
keithC70

Default Transfer box woes

My '53 XC90 G'tronic transfer box started making a whining noise so I took it off and I don't think it's original.

The end of the propshaft was waggling about and the output shaft bearing is badly worn. I took it off and the propshaft, so currently in 2WD and getting great mpg - showing 62 on a gentle run on the motorway!

All looks fine inside the box with no broken bits/wear on the gears so I'm going to replace the worn bearings and re-fit the box.

However I don't think it's the original box and I would like to know if the numbers on the casing can be used to identify what it's off/what year it is?

On the casing on the side nearest the gearbox are;
0712, 18198, 34359 by vent, 4, and then SWEDEN above 30713660 above VOLVO

On the other half nearest the driver's side ;

1023875 and B03EA

Anyone know the identity/year/what it's off from these numbers?

Cheers,

Keith
Old Aug 1st, 2014, 00:01   #2
keithC70

Default Transfer box update

Well today I had the box rebuilt after fitting new bearings on the output shaft.

For those local to me in South Wales who need to do a similar job I'd heartily recommend these two companies in Swansea. It's rarely that you find people like this who really know their business.

I bought the bearings from Bearing Suppliers (Clydach) Ltd. on 01792 843837 and the two bearings and the seal cost £46. The other bearings on the main shaft were good. Also the bevel gear and crown gear were showing no sign of wear, so I was lucky to catch it in time.

I then went to a great garage and engineering workshop, just round the corner on the old market site, JD Autos 01792 844979 who removed the old bearings, pressed on the new, and re-assembled the box, and also removed the seized, chewed-up filler plug and machined and welded a new nut on all for £120.

John, the owner, said he'd welcome any forum members with Volvo 4WDs in to do similar work and will do the whole job; removal, overhaul, re-assemble etc. as required.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to keithC70 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 3rd, 2014, 11:07   #3
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

Thumbs up excellent news

Thanks Keith, thats great info. The AWD system is the only bit that I am a bit concerned about stripping down and repairing myself. Looks like I should be able to drop the car off with them if/when the time comes - I'll just have to time it with visiting the family And if that coincides with a decent WRU international then all the better

BTW I'm ex Gorseinon, albeit a long long time ago lol

Last edited by RollingThunder; Aug 3rd, 2014 at 11:12.
RollingThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6th, 2014, 22:05   #4
jgjones095
Master Member

Thats good to know. Only 15min away!

Pop in to parts deot at frf swansea and see if they can help on the part nos

2.4t V70XC Auto 2001 165k
D5 185 XC70 M66 2006 202k

Last edited by jgjones095; Aug 6th, 2014 at 22:08.
jgjones095 is offline   Reply With Quote