Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

850 TDI with a broken camshaft

Views : 920

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 8th, 2005, 20:11   #1
crazeyhorse-uk

Hello can any one help, i have a 1996 850 TDI estate and the cam belt has just broke at low speed. I have removed the rocker cover to find the camshaft has broken in to 3 pieces. First brake just past no 1 cylinder and second brake just past no 2 cylinder. The journals the camshaft sit in did not break {thank god} but there is a little scoring to the first journal the cam sits in pulley end{might clean up not that bad} 2 or 3 of the buckets that fit over the valves that are depressed by the cam have been what looks like pushed up a bit from the inside out. So they are not flat but domed up a bit but not broken or chipped any of them. Has this happened to any one else, would i get away with new buckets a new camshaft and belt kit etc. Or has it done more damage {is this common on the 850 TDI } Or has any one got either a complete head or engine for sale. Best regards Carl
Old Oct 8th, 2005, 20:28   #2
sholtby
Premier Member

Default RE: 850 TDI with a broken camshaft

Bad luck mate! You'll have bent some valves for sure as the pistons hit the valves and valves hit the camshaft breaking it. I think you would be best looking for a complete new head (£600+vat from eurocarparts!). Also renew the water pump+cambelt.
Waterpump and cambelt needs to be replaced every 60k miles on your engine. When was yours last done?

Simon
sholtby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 2005, 20:53   #3
crazeyhorse-uk

Hello Simon thanks for your reply, i am about to look throgh the service history to find out when the cam belt was last changed. Not had the car long was told it had been done and was not due another one yet. Volvo them selves fitted a new belt at only 30,000 miles when the car was 3 years old according to a sticker under the bonnet{ seams rather low mileage to be changed} The car has done 112,000 now. I will let you know if i find an invoice for a cambelt. i got a few other cars to fall back on including a 760 turbo diesel with 268,000 on it and she has started to smoke a bit so better look at her soon. And neither of these volvos have been used as a taxi so thats a first i reckon. Oh do you reckon its clipped the pistons or bent a con rod on the 850 or shall i strip it with the view to change just the head. Thanks Carl
Old Oct 8th, 2005, 21:37   #4
sholtby
Premier Member

I keep repeating myself on this forum but when you buy a car you must fit a new cambelt/waterpump asap as history cant always be trusted.
Conrods and pistons should be OK.
www.partsgateway.com is the best 2nd hand source

Simon
sholtby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2005, 19:12   #5
crazeyhorse-uk

Hello Simon i have checked the service history and the car had a new belt and tensioners fitted at 79,000 miles in september 2002 by M R KING a main volvo dealer. So i am surprised the belt has gone that quick its only done 33,000 miles since they fitted the new belt etc. And i have looked at the top cam belt cover and you can see where the cam belt has been rubbing on the caseing causing the belt to eat through the case. And in my opinion this is why the belt has failed. I wonder what M R KING will make of it if i was to contact them over it. I bet they will find a way to get away with it. Regards Carl
Old Oct 9th, 2005, 19:17   #6
masv70

The service schedule for the v70 tdi says inspect t/belt every 20K miles. Is the 850 the same ?