Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Low boost pressure & engine service urgent message

Views : 1863

Replies : 33

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 13th, 2023, 21:00   #31
Thassos
GoldMember

Smile Any idea what this does?

Hi Dave, thanks.. im getting 1-3psi revving no load, abs max 7-8psi under full load.. so nothing like normal !

Todays update- Had a re-look at the turbo actuator, and found that its actually moves on ign to pos 2, def saw it move so i think it must be working ok..

Was having a poke around in the throttle boday & egr area, and..

Found this vacuum operated linkage, is under the throttle body on a Euro4 D5/185 engine, and seems to be vacuum operated .. part of EGR? maybe, a spindle (stuck solid on mine),,it operates something on a shaft that goes into the egr or throttle body area..(see 2nd pic, actuator in green, linkage - far blue) the very hard to get at as its under the TB, had to use a mirror to even see it !

Any idea what it does, is it operating a valve or flap in the EGR assy maybe? and could this be a contributor to my engine woes?

3rd pic of an egr off car, you can clearly see the linkage
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1170751.JPG (287.7 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg P1170746.JPG (280.2 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg EGR removed.jpg (3.0 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by Thassos; Nov 13th, 2023 at 22:51.
Thassos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2023, 21:48   #32
camturbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thassos View Post
Hi Dave, thanks.. im getting 1-3psi revving no load, abs max 7-8psi under full load.. so nothing like normal !

Todays update- Had a re-look at the turbo actuator, and found that its actually moves on ign to pos 2, def saw it move so i think it must be working ok..

Was having a pole around in the throttle boday & egr area, and..

Found this vacuum operated linkage, is under the throttle body on a Euro4 D5/185 engine, and seems to be vacuum operated .. part of EGR? maybe, a spindle (stuck solid on mine),,it operates something on a shaft that goes into the egr or throttle body area..(see 2nd pic, actuator in green, linkage - far blue) the very hard to get at as its under the TB, had to use a mirror to even see it !

Any idea what it does, is it operating a valve or flap in the EGR assy maybe? and could this be a contributor to my engine woes?
Had a look for the info where I got my actuator from but cant find the info so thats not much help though it was around £200. Mine still moved slightly even though it was knacked. If the cogs are damaged or electric issues within the actuator it wont give you full boost. Proper codes would help think I had ecm 1507 and another one,cant find it though. Not sure if any vac pipes go to the egr but they go to engine mounts. You may have to ask someone kindly on here to see if they can read the codes using vida. Volvo main dealer did mine but was expensive. These cars are so fickle lol keep us updated
Old Nov 13th, 2023, 22:04   #33
camturbo

Think the egr could effect it sone way but dont know much about it. Keep at it you will find the issue
Old Nov 26th, 2023, 17:34   #34
Thassos
GoldMember

Smile Did eventually find it...

Well.. thought ild post an update since i found the source of my troubles...

I needed to get the codes read, and Amber Garage came to the rescue, although not that local to me, i limped the car there in torrential rain (hoping it didnt conk out on route..).. They found several fault codes, listed below:

DPF temp sensor error and O2 sensor (P2A00) range error,
some older codes (i think) relating to glow plugs and a familiar brake pressure sensor one (that seems to come and go)..

So next day i got under the car to locate said temp sensor, its upstream of the dpf and a 2 wire (must be resistive) sensor, theres a 2 pin plug near the sensor, so removed this and checked the resistance, (expecting open circuit, but read 206ohms..also checked the resistance of the other temp sensor just after the turbo and this measured a similar resistance, so confirmed it looked ok), so i then traced the fairly long cable running up behind the engine, and it seemed to take a bit of a non direct path, so im looking with my torch and i see a frayed wire and some burned cable wrap, (cant believe it.. looks like this is a simple broken/damaged wire,..) so repaired and slightly shortened the cable with several heatshrink layers on top, then checked the connection back to the ECU on the airbox.. once reconnected and got the expected 206ohms so all looking good..) put everything back and took it for a run, cautiously.. seemed to be running better, and more like its normal performance,, about 5 miles down the road the 'soot filter full' message came up (expected as it had done probably 100miles in limp mode prior).. stopped in a layby and as i pulled away an enormous sooty cloud exits !.. that must def be the DPF regen... ) took it for another 30-40 mile run, and added some liquid moly dpf cleaner, so to assist with any dpf issues. Next day i had to do a 500mile round journey but getting it fixed just in time i was chuffed !.. car ran superbly def had its mojo back.. added some fuel system cleaner also.

So the moral to the story is, check those sensors first if you dont have any way to see the actual values being sent..

So in the end, it wasnt any of the forum favourites, and turned out to be a nice easy one to fix.. ive since been monitoring some other parameters using the torque pro app, and the pro version seems to open up quite a few new parameters that the free version didnt, such as fuel rail pressure, fuel flow rate, egr %age etc, fuel rail pressure (5000 psi@tickover) and fuel flow switches to 0 when you're coasting downhill etc, if your having limp mode problems is def worth measuring the 2 temp sensors on the exhaust, the code relating to the O2 sensor seems to persist, so i replaced it with a bosch one who appear to be the oe supplier, since then you can see the voltage flipping between 0.5 to 4v range, where the old one seemed stuck at around 0.3v, so it think its working now, but the O2 sensor code seems to be there despite a fault code clear with torque.. The EGR seems to change between about 40 and 100% and then often at 95.9%, so not sure if this means its working as expected..egr error seems to show some random figures between + and - 100% so im not sure thats correct or a real value?
Thassos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
low boost, maf, vnt