Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Squeaking Brakes at all times

Views : 1474

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 17th, 2011, 14:51   #1
Daim
Brit in Germany

Thumbs down Squeaking Brakes at all times

Hi!

I upgraded my brakes against some EBC discs and pads a few days ago and the rear pads/discs squeak when braking carefully and gently. Okay, I haven't made any mistakes fitting them - as dumb as that my sound.

Reason I can say that, is because my rear brakes ALWAYS squeaked. Sometimes more sometimes less. But that is really annoying and I think a "premium range" car shouldn't do that...

Anyone have some suggestions what to do against it?

I used some ceramic paste (for brakes) to lubricate the pad seats (the areas which hold the pads in the calipers). The Volvo pads didn't have any kind of "lubrication" or "anti squeak paste" on the rear (carrier) sides...

Ideas what to do?

2010 V70 (Type 135) D5 (D5244T10) Automatic (TF-80SC)
Daim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th, 2011, 17:08   #2
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Daim,

All I can suggest is to lube the slides and pads on the rear then re-seat and see if that helps. If everything is able to slide back and forth correctly then all should be well.

The pads and discs you've bought are pretty good so I wouldn't have thought that they would be a major factor especially as you say you had a similar thing with OEM parts (although not as constant). Therefore the only constant is your calipers? Any suspected issues with them??

SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SonyVaio For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 17th, 2011, 17:14   #3
Daim
Brit in Germany

Well, I see it the same. Like said, the fronts: no worry what so ever. Only the rears (you can tell by direction the noise comes from).

I was thinking of putting some of the ceramic paste on the carrying plates of the pads. Might be, that that could help...?

The fronts are totally fine! Really strange...

But like said, all the time the rears - even with the original Volvo parts...

I'll take them apart - yet again

The Following User Says Thank You to Daim For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 17th, 2011, 17:45   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Squeaking brakes is certainly not a trend on C30/S40/V50 etc , If you fit new volvo rear discs and pads you will be ok ... how are the rear brakes improved when fitting these non genuine ones? under hard use they hardly do any work ..
Old Dec 17th, 2011, 19:59   #5
Daim
Brit in Germany

My old brakes (original first set from Volvo) used to squeal a lot when wet/damp.

These work nicely. You see that - even though I've only driven something like 200 km or so - that work nicely. So they are working very well. I get a full lock (with ABS juddering) when stamping on the pedal thrus the handbrake works after the second notch with a nice hold. On fist "click" it will hold the car in place...

Old Dec 17th, 2011, 22:40   #6
7050man
Master Member

My experience of fitting non oem brakes is that they may be cheaper, but certainly squeak.

I assume that copper slip has been splashed all over so to speak. This will minimise squeak but may not get rid of it.
7050man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th, 2011, 09:11   #7
Metblackrat

DO NOT USE COPPERSLIP ON BRAKES!.

It is a bodgers trick and can cause the seals to swell. Use a quality brake paste or red rubber grease sparingly.
Metblackrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th, 2011, 11:07   #8
Clan
Experienced Member

in my 40 year experience , all grease does is in time cause dirt to stick to the caliper in the very area you dont want it to and it jams the pads in their holders ,It looks nice and certainly makes the pads nice and free initialy but it doesnt last long with all the muck that gets thrown up , a slightly sloppy fit of the pad in it's holder is preferable . As said above standard volvo brakes dont squeak they have been engineered not to , thats what those weights are for cast into the calipers .
Old Dec 18th, 2011, 11:29   #9
Daim
Brit in Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
in my 40 year experience , all grease does is in time cause dirt to stick to the caliper in the very area you dont want it to and it jams the pads in their holders ,It looks nice and certainly makes the pads nice and free initialy but it doesnt last long with all the muck that gets thrown up , a slightly sloppy fit of the pad in it's holder is preferable . As said above standard volvo brakes dont squeak they have been engineered not to , thats what those weights are for cast into the calipers .
Why did my original brakes squeak? The factory brakes always squeaked - as do the new ones.

BUT the fronts don't - the old Volvo ones did front AND back.

The noise also let off last night. Might just be, that the "brake in" (haha) phase has ended...

Like said, the original brakes (factory fitted in Gent!) sqeaked all the time, front and rear... I haven't touched the brakes before... At the same time, a lot of people on German Volvo boards have complained about squeaking brakes in a P1x Volvo. As calipers and pads are the same throughout the P1x range (just brake disc varying) it can only be something to do with the calipers - that is what is said here too...

Old Dec 18th, 2011, 11:30   #10
Daim
Brit in Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metblackrat View Post
DO NOT USE COPPERSLIP ON BRAKES!.

It is a bodgers trick and can cause the seals to swell. Use a quality brake paste or red rubber grease sparingly.
I used ceramic paste from Liqui Moly, made for brake systems