Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Cruise Control knocking off

Views : 1822

Replies : 27

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 31st, 2011, 14:50   #21
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfed View Post
Right, this problem has happened twice again since I last posted, but not when the cruise was on, the engine cuts for a split second and and the orange i light comes on, again for a split second. Now that I know it's not directly linked to the cruise control will it still be the same clutch sensor or does it point to something else?

Two days ago my car wouldn't start and had to have Volvo assistance take my car to my nearest Volvo dealership. The cause was a faulty ignition switch which I believe is a common fault, cost £271. Now, could the problem with the engine cut off/splutter be linked to this ignition switch or are the completely unrelated?

Thanks guys
Elfed, as you say this has now happened twice and cruise control NOT even on then I wouldn't think that this problem is related to Cruise in any way shape or form. The problem you are experiencing is just obviously causing the CC to cut off if indeed it is on at the time.

The problem does very much sound ignition related and I would take the car back to the Volvo Dealer and explain your issues, highlighting more on the fact that the car cuts out for a slight second evey now and then and that you started noticing this due the fact that it cut CC off, making sure you also highlight that it is happening even when CC is not on so cannot be related.

With a bit of luck there will be some form of code stored.

SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SonyVaio For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 31st, 2011, 15:01   #22
Elfed

Hi, the car was serviced at the dealership three weeks ago and there yesterday having the ignition switch replaced, so I'm presuming that if there were any codes present, they would have shown up?

It would be great if the problem was caused by the ignition switch as two problems would be solved. I'll just have to drive it and wait for something to happen.

Thanks
Elfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31st, 2011, 15:27   #23
Elfed

Quote:
Originally Posted by t5_monkey View Post
CC issue could still be the clutch.

Also.... when my FPS started to go, my CC knocked off.

Are you on the T5 model ? Fuel pressure sensor is a known issue on these cars.
It's a 2.0d
Old Jan 1st, 2012, 23:30   #24
Elfed

It happened again tonight, cruise was off and it did it whilst I went over a bump in the road. My son said all the dash lights went off for a split second and the orange i light flashed quickly.

I'll have to book it in to the Volvo dealers for investigation work but I'll hang on for a bit so I've got more info on what happens and under what circumstances.
Old Jan 2nd, 2012, 00:12   #25
SonyVaio
VOC Member

When a service is conducted and the pollen filter replaced, wires leading to the CIM can be dislodged if man handled (space is pretty tight).

My advice would be to check all connection are on correctly and tight, even remove and re-seat the connections to ensure they are indeed seated correctly. You can then take the car for a drive over a bumpy road or cobbled street (if any in your area) to see if you can replicate the problem or not.

It certainly sounds like you have a dodgy connection somewhere. There may never have been a problem with the ignition after all if it does turn out to be a dodgy connection elsewhere.

Last edited by SonyVaio; Jan 2nd, 2012 at 00:14.
Old Jan 2nd, 2012, 22:41   #26
Elfed

Hi, I'm sort of convinced that they're both separate issues, but I'm no mechanic.

Here's another twist to the story, I've just done the same 530 mile round trip to Wiltshire today and no problems at all, weird. The car ran like a Swiss watch, and I must admit that even though they're prone to the odd electrical gremlins, they're bloody good cars.
Old Jan 2nd, 2012, 23:09   #27
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfed View Post
Hi, I'm sort of convinced that they're both separate issues, but I'm no mechanic.

Here's another twist to the story, I've just done the same 530 mile round trip to Wiltshire today and no problems at all, weird. The car ran like a Swiss watch, and I must admit that even though they're prone to the odd electrical gremlins, they're bloody good cars.
I agree, very good cars.

I don't think you have 2 issues, only 1. It just so happens when that when the one issue occurs and you have cruise on (at times) it knocks cruise off.

Maybe you will be able to pin point the cause over a period of time but my money is now on some dodgy or loose connection.

Old Jan 3rd, 2012, 07:44   #28
Elfed

Hi, I totally agree with you regarding there not being two issues, I meant it being separate from the ignition switch issue I had last week.

Thanks