Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

I Have Returned...

Views : 13304

Replies : 99

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 23rd, 2020, 12:57   #81
griston64
Premier Member

On double checking it would appear they are preset to 0.7. I must've really wedged that feeler in

https://www.ngkpartfinder.co.uk/car_...a.php?id=19599
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 23rd, 2020, 13:34   #82
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by griston64 View Post
On double checking it would appear they are preset to 0.7. I must've really wedged that feeler in

https://www.ngkpartfinder.co.uk/car_...a.php?id=19599
No, they would have been 0.9mm as i suggested Mark. If you check the Rover 3500 3.5 82-86 EFi version, the same plugs (BPR6E stock code 6464) are recommended and the gap is 0.9mm :

Recommended BPR6E 6464 - 0.9mm

That's the car manufacturers recommended setting, NOT what NGK set them to. I can't find it at the moment but i did somewhere find in NGKs literature (thought i had bookmarked it but still can't find it just now) a statement to the effect the default gap was 0.9mm unless otherwise specified such as by the part number e.g. BCPR6E-11 which is a BCPR6E with a 1.1mm preset gap.

As both of mine take BPR6E plugs or a derivative thereof, i usually buy 12 at a time and twist my local parts shop for a discount on them so normally get them for about £18 for the 12 of them. One set gets gapped to 0.7mm for the Volvo and the other set gets set at 1.1mm for the Rover.

They are all set at 0.9mm from the factory though.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 23rd, 2020, 16:51   #83
Foeux

Quote:
Originally Posted by griston64 View Post
Green book states 0.7-0.8 for my B230FK. I fitted new NGK plugs last year and when checked with feeler they were all a tight 0.8 so I didn't adjust and they have been fine.

The one nearest the distributor is a bit of a pain but using Dave's excellent hose pipe trick made it a lot easier
What is the hosepipe trick?

I just sat the socket on it, undid with a spanner and then wound it out by hand.

Cheers,

F

Last edited by Foeux; Apr 23rd, 2020 at 16:53.
Foeux is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Foeux For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 23rd, 2020, 16:58   #84
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foeux View Post
What is the hosepipe trick?

I just sat the socket on it, undid with a spanner and then wound it out by hand.

Cheers,

F
A piece of 6mm fuel hose fits just snugly on the pip on the end of the plug or a piece of 10mm bore fits on the ceramic insulator - i think some garden hoses are similar internal diameter so any of the above can be used, it grips just tight enough to turn the plug on the way in but will slip if you happen to cross thread it (easily done and a nightmare on an alloy head to put right) giving you a chance to undo it and as you feel the threads drop into place as you're turning it countr-clockwise, you can then start turning clockwise in the correct thread.

Saves a lot of dropped plugs, cross threads and even more cross owners when they realise they've just cross threaded the plug!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Apr 23rd, 2020, 17:26   #85
Foeux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
A piece of 6mm fuel hose fits just snugly on the pip on the end of the plug or a piece of 10mm bore fits on the ceramic insulator - i think some garden hoses are similar internal diameter so any of the above can be used, it grips just tight enough to turn the plug on the way in but will slip if you happen to cross thread it (easily done and a nightmare on an alloy head to put right) giving you a chance to undo it and as you feel the threads drop into place as you're turning it countr-clockwise, you can then start turning clockwise in the correct thread.

Saves a lot of dropped plugs, cross threads and even more cross owners when they realise they've just cross threaded the plug!
I was very careful not to crossthread. Strarted each one manually.

I can't imagine what a pig a crossed thread would be.
Old Apr 23rd, 2020, 18:10   #86
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foeux View Post
I was very careful not to crossthread. Strarted each one manually.

I can't imagine what a pig a crossed thread would be.
Using a bit of hose just makes life easier. I have on old ~2 Pozidriv screwdriver that i slide the 6mm fuel hose onto, gives a conveneint handle for the hose. Also gives a little more reach which is useful for me on my other beast, 90 degree V6 tranverse mounted so pots 1, 2 & 3 are close to the bulkhead.

The Volvo, although also a 90 degree V6 has the plugs mounted on the inboard side of the heads so is much easier to get to. Also on the Rover (my other car) the plugs are very deep inside the head so the extra length from the dead screwdriver is helpful.

It also helps a lot on the redbocks as well, particularly #4 near the bulkhead with the brake servo etc in the way of easy access.

Old Apr 23rd, 2020, 20:46   #87
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Ah yes .... red block #4. To remove and to slightly tighten, a 3/8 drive swivel head ratchet does it ok. But. I start inserting the plugs and especially #4 with just a plug socket in my fingertips.

Previous workers might not have been careful and engineers charge money for restoring plug threads.

Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stephen Edwin For This Useful Post:
Old May 23rd, 2020, 16:45   #88
Foeux

Dear Pals,

I have sourced and installed a lovely roof rack - a galvanised 'trade' one made by S.D.V. It is lovely. It fits over the factory roof rails, doesn't howl and whistle,doesn't touch anything it shouldn't. Doesnt vibrate.

I hope it proves useful as time progresses and lockdown lifts.

Best wishes,

F.
Old May 23rd, 2020, 19:41   #89
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

With an SDV Trade Rack you can carry an ocean liner with ease.

Kushti.

Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen Edwin For This Useful Post:
Old May 23rd, 2020, 20:30   #90
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Edwin View Post
With an SDV Trade Rack you can carry an ocean liner with ease.

Kushti.

I'll have £50 you couldn't get Symphony of the Seas on a 940 with an SDV trade rack
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:

Tags
940, estate, moth, project, volvo