Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Any Advice, Part 2!

Views : 46650

Replies : 671

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 2nd, 2020, 09:34   #101
Chris152

Thanks both - resolves the doubt I had in my mind about why the connector is horizontal on the pump, Bugjam.

Alan - I drove to a local garage this morning thinking maybe that's the way to go, save any faffing and more buying, but forgot my mask so couldn't go in! Driving home I decided this is silly, we're supposed to be learning all we can, the boy agreed so I'm ordering the pullers now, delivery tomorrow (I went with Amazon for that reason, still only £15).

One thing I'm not clear about - the bolt Haynes says to insert in order to pull the pully against is 3/8 inch x 2-3/4 inch - are all the bolts in the car imperial, or is that just for the American audience? Am I looking for M10? We have a good bolt supplier nearby so I can go fetch it whenever.

Also, Haynes says to attach the arms of the puller under the centre boss - that's the small diameter flange at centre, right?! Sorry, ever so basic, I know...
Chris152 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chris152 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 2nd, 2020, 10:15   #102
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris152 View Post
Thanks both - resolves the doubt I had in my mind about why the connector is horizontal on the pump, Bugjam.

Alan - I drove to a local garage this morning thinking maybe that's the way to go, save any faffing and more buying, but forgot my mask so couldn't go in! Driving home I decided this is silly, we're supposed to be learning all we can, the boy agreed so I'm ordering the pullers now, delivery tomorrow (I went with Amazon for that reason, still only £15).

One thing I'm not clear about - the bolt Haynes says to insert in order to pull the pully against is 3/8 inch x 2-3/4 inch - are all the bolts in the car imperial, or is that just for the American audience? Am I looking for M10? We have a good bolt supplier nearby so I can go fetch it whenever.

Also, Haynes says to attach the arms of the puller under the centre boss - that's the small diameter flange at centre, right?! Sorry, ever so basic, I know...
Hi Chris,
I think that is the right thing: do jobs yourself so you can fix it again in the future. You will need a puller anyway (every man needs a bearing puller), and £15 is not too much.

I can't find anything about 3/8" bolts in my BofH, it just says take the nut off and pull off the pulley. Looking at the drawing:

... that looks right. It seems to be just a tapered shaft with a keyway to locate the pulley.

I think there might be a few imperial bolts here and there on older Volvos - but they are mostly metric cars.

Alan
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 2nd, 2020, 10:31   #103
Chris152

Thanks Alan - can you write the title and any specific (brief) details of the Manual you're using? We have 4 all the same (one bought in error, and two came with the car) and none have that kind of detail - I think we might have thought about overhaul if I'd seen a description. Dave tried hard to link me to the one I wanted but I still ended up getting the wrong one, repeatedly!
Old Oct 2nd, 2020, 10:49   #104
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Thanks Alan - can you write the title and any specific (brief) details of the Manual you're using? We have 4 all the same (one bought in error, and two came with the car) and none have that kind of detail - I think we might have thought about overhaul if I'd seen a description. Dave tried hard to link me to the one I wanted but I still ended up getting the wrong one, repeatedly!
Of course Chris,

Here is a photo of the front cover:

... and here is the ISBN:

... 1 85010 282 1

I've just read the piece about overhauling the pump on pp182, there is nothing too demanding in there, it is just held together with some circlips.

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Oct 2nd, 2020 at 11:43. Reason: Spelling error.
Old Oct 2nd, 2020, 11:02   #105
Chris152

Thank you Alan, sorry for being so demanding, we really appreciate your efforts. Attached is a pic of the titles we have, all exactly the same (except some page layout and very minor phrasing, none with the diagram that you posted and the most clear difference is that your diagram is on Section 11; in all four of ours, suspension and steering are in Section 10. Yet the title of our top copy is the same as yours, except the years covered.
I've a feeling there's a better version out there that we can't find! We'll keep hunting.

I called the local bolt supplier and he has what we need (3/8 x 2-3/4UNC, collecting later - and the hose just arrived. Maybe a Sunday job by the time the pullers arrive, if we don't get blown away in this wind!
The Following User Says Thank You to Chris152 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 2nd, 2020, 11:04   #106
Chris152

Forgot the attachment!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20201002_105055.jpg (273.8 KB, 10 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to Chris152 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 2nd, 2020, 11:26   #107
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:
Forgot the attachment!
Chris. "The Devil is in the detail". I think your books omit the 1974 to 1986 version. See Othen's picture posted above.

The diagram Othen posted is on page 182.

That edition of "The Haynes Book of Lies" (olde forum joke) has a lot of detail. It is also useful for ownes of newer 240s.

I hope that helps.

Last edited by Stephen Edwin; Oct 2nd, 2020 at 11:37.
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen Edwin For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 2nd, 2020, 11:32   #108
Chris152

Thanks Stephen - eyes will now be peeled for that edition of the book!

Edit to add - just bought a copy on the Bay for £4.95, including postage. Once I have the full set no doubt it'll be worth something to collectors... :-)

Last edited by Chris152; Oct 2nd, 2020 at 11:36.
Old Oct 2nd, 2020, 11:42   #109
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Thanks Stephen - eyes will now be peeled for that edition of the book!

Edit to add - just bought a copy on the Bay for £4.95, including postage. Once I have the full set no doubt it'll be worth something to collectors... :-)
All's well that ends well Chris. £4.95 is certainly a bargain for a BofH, and as you say, you will be able to sell the complete collection to an investor one day!

:-)
Old Oct 3rd, 2020, 08:30   #110
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

First rule of Haynes manuals: ALWAYS check the ISBN. If someone quotes an ISBN in a post it's usually because they know that the topic is covered reasonably well by that version of the book.

I find the earlier ones are often more detailed, as they assume the owner will be willing/able to undertake more involved jobs as compared to the later ones, which will often "refer to a dealer" because "detailed information was not available at the time of going to press". This applies to the M90 box in 940s and to some of the late emissions control stuff on the last 240s.

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post: