Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Need help diagnosing Turbo Fault Code P029900

Views : 2197

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 21st, 2022, 12:10   #1
seamusmcginley

Exclamation Need help diagnosing Turbo Fault Code P029900

Hi,

2013 S60 II 2.0 D5204T3 5-cyl 2.0 163BHP

I've gotten the Engine System Service Required message on my S60. The fault code when when I plug into it is Turbo Charger Underboost P02990. When I view live data, the actual boost is always about 1000kpa below the desired boost figure.

I had a faulty vacuum turbo control solenoid recently however I replaced that with the genuine one to get rid of a different fault code however this one has persisted.

Any advise on what to check next? Would it be a sensor issue?

Thanks
Old Feb 22nd, 2022, 17:20   #2
FreshAir

Boost hose leak? I've just had the intercooler exit to engine one replaced as it split/leaked right by the intercooler exit (nearside), like many others have.

You should hear some whistling or whooshing from the leak under boost if it is that. I could see some fluid in the area of the leak as well as a small tell tail of hose reinforcement poking out of the hose. Couldn't see any actual split.
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2022, 11:09   #3
seamusmcginley

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusmcginley View Post
Hi,

2013 S60 II 2.0 D5204T3 5-cyl 2.0 163BHP

I've gotten the Engine System Service Required message on my S60. The fault code when when I plug into it is Turbo Charger Underboost P02990. When I view live data, the actual boost is always about 1000kpa below the desired boost figure.

I had a faulty vacuum turbo control solenoid recently however I replaced that with the genuine one to get rid of a different fault code however this one has persisted.

Any advise on what to check next? Would it be a sensor issue?

Thanks

Ended up getting a Bosch Boost Sensor from eBay for €40 (OEM was ~€180) and swapping it out for curiosity. Turns out it fixed my problem. All fault codes cleared and live data shows “demanded boost” and “actual boost” very close with eachother unlike the 700kpa underboost difference I had with the old sensor.

Tags
boost, maf, map, turbo, underboost