Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Cold Weather Driving

Views : 1341

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 5th, 2009, 16:56   #1
green-e

Smile Cold Weather Driving

Hi everyone,
Really sorry if this has been brought up before, but I'm struggling to find any information, even from Volvo dealerships. I've got a 2003 V70 D5, it's going to be pointed towards the Alps next weekend for a weeks skiing. I'm wondering if there's anything i need to add to the fuel to stop any fuelling/running/starting problems. The Car Park company have mentioned Alpine Diesel.

Any help would much appreciated
green-e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2009, 21:13   #2
Bernard333
Premier Member

I wouldnt worry about it , just put in whatever diesel you find at the filling station , I think most diesel sold in France/Italy is now good for low temperatures , I have driven through the alps ( leaving from St Helens ) loads of times , got stuck a couple of times in the snow but never due to the diesel freezing up , last time I saw that happen was around 1980/81 on the M8 in Scotland when trucks had to build a log fire underneath the fuel tank to get the vehicle mobile again , have not seen anything similar since then . Got stuck around Bolzano ( I think ) in Italy , couldnt even see the road , just snow , just had to wait for a snow plough to clear the way which was about five hours later but at least we were able to keep the engine running .
Bernard333 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bernard333 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 5th, 2009, 21:40   #3
4 forty
VOC Member

Default winter fuel

the oil companies have put an additive in diesel now for quite a few years to eliminate "waxing", the united kingdom is up to below minus 10 i think, colder climates in europe will have a lower threshold
4 forty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 4 forty For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 5th, 2009, 21:59   #4
volvo145
Premier Member

I dont know if driving in canada is relevant but i didn't have any problems at
-30+ in a 3.2 diesel v70,great motor.
What you will need is plenty of window wash with plenty of additives.
volvo145 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvo145 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 6th, 2009, 03:18   #5
Ben Hur

Useful information for you:

Diesel fuel supplied in winter have additives to increase viscosity at lower temperatures. There is a term known as Cold Filter Plugging Point (CFPP) this is the temperature at which fuel will fail to pass through a 45 micron wire mesh filter.

The CFPP for BS EN 590 Standard Diesel are: Summer -5 C and Winter -15 C.
The CFPP for Shell V-Power Diesel are: Summer -6 C and Winter -20 C.

In summary regular Winter Diesel in the UK will fail to flow at around -15 C and Shell V-Power Diesel will fail to flow at around -20 C. I can't comment on fuel suppled in mainland Europe, however I would stick to using Shell V-Power Diesel.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ben Hur For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 6th, 2009, 08:48   #6
Rossi-fan
Premier Member

Years ago my boss used to throw in a small amount of 4 star petrol to try and stop the diesel from freezing up. Cant remember him having much trouble. On the odd occasion he had to run a flame along the small exposed pipes between the fuel tank and the engine bay. Once it fired up though, it was ok for the rest of the day
Rossi-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rossi-fan For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 6th, 2009, 11:12   #7
volvo145
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Hur View Post
Useful information for you:

Diesel fuel supplied in winter have additives to increase viscosity at lower temperatures. There is a term known as Cold Filter Plugging Point (CFPP) this is the temperature at which fuel will fail to pass through a 45 micron wire mesh filter.

The CFPP for BS EN 590 Standard Diesel are: Summer -5 C and Winter -15 C.
The CFPP for Shell V-Power Diesel are: Summer -6 C and Winter -20 C.

In summary regular Winter Diesel in the UK will fail to flow at around -15 C and Shell V-Power Diesel will fail to flow at around -20 C. I can't comment on fuel suppled in mainland Europe, however I would stick to using Shell V-Power Diesel.
Sorry i should have explained better.
What i was getting at if he was going to another country surely he would be using there fuel with the correct additives without any problems.
Its not like the old days in this country when you had to heat the tank/pipes at the side of the road as everything froze.
volvo145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2009, 19:41   #8
green-e

Default Cheers

Thanks all for your help. My mind is at ease now. I'll brim it at a motorway services before we hit big climbs. Touch wood there's plenty of snow.
Thanks again
green-e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12th, 2009, 16:31   #9
dolphian

Don't worry stay calm. In this period most of the petrol company add special substances in the fuel. You need to buy winter cloths for your safety
dolphian is offline   Reply With Quote