Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

fuel magnets. powermag

Views : 2893

Replies : 41

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 2nd, 2014, 22:59   #11
t+m

If you hold your hand over a cigarette lighter flame at the closest distance you can comfortably sustain then get someone to slide the fuelmagnet up against the lighter the flame immediatey gets much hotter and you have to pull your hand back, even though the flame didnt get any bigger. I fitted an ecoflow magnet 15yrs ago and move it car to car. You can strap one to the boiler gas pipe as well just before the gas valve.
now I cant quantify what , if any, benefit there may be, just that the flame on the above demo got much more intense. My radiators in the house get hot enough to peel your skin even though the 30yr old boiler is tiny for the house size. And im tight so its not on a timer, I just run it manually for an hour at a time.
And if you have an achey jnt a magnet will often improve it a lot. Ive seen large magnets in custom made harnesses in stables to help artheritic horses.
I dont know what the mechanism is but they seem to have a beneficial effect.
so if youre gonna fit them to the car they need t o go as close to the injectors as possible. My ecoflow is so big it just sits on the incoming metal fuel rail on the rocker cover.
t+m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3rd, 2014, 00:36   #12
byootox
Premier Member

If you hold your hand over a cigarette lighter flame at the closest distance you can comfortably sustain then get someone to slide the fuelmagnet up against the lighter the flame immediatey gets much hotter and you have to pull your hand back, even though the flame didnt get any bigger.

All that really proves is hydrogen molecules of the flame are affected by a magnetic field.
This doesn't explain how the magnetic field can actually reduce the quantity of fuel consumed.
Nor can it to any MEANINGFUL LEVEL...
byootox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3rd, 2014, 02:09   #13
volvorocks
Rodney

Ref these types of magnets - there has indeed been positive results when used in a 'medical way'..ie for arthritis etc etc etc.....so no harm in trying them in a 'mechanical way'. Nowt to lose really - apart from the cost of the magnets.

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3rd, 2014, 11:19   #14
DaveRP

Oh wow. Just when I thought this place was sane and sensible...

Advice like "I've got no idea what it does, but give it a whirl" doesn't really help anyone!
DaveRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3rd, 2014, 22:19   #15
t+m

So if the fuel burns hotter , ie more efficiently, with the magnet then more energy must be getting released and therefore in theory at least, less fuel would be required to do the same amount of work as was needed before without the magnet.
but as the car weighs in at a ton and a half rather than the 1 ounce of the lighter used in the demo, I doubt that any increase could be quantified.
If you put the magnet on the pipe from a propane bottle youd never tell if the roaring flame was any hotter or not.but nonetheless there is an effect.you just cant measure it in everyday use.
but magnets are very effective on sore joints and muscle strains,
t+m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3rd, 2014, 23:04   #16
JamesV70R
Forum Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by t+m View Post
but magnets are very effective on sore joints and muscle strains,
No, they aren't. Its all a placebo.

http://gizmodo.com/5723577/powerbala...nds-are-a-scam
http://www.health24.com/Fitness/Exer...veled-20120721

Also on the list of hoaxes are those "intake fans" that go in your intake pipework, are just computer cooling fans, and "hho" kits.

Save your money, put it towards your fuel bill.

James
JamesV70R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3rd, 2014, 23:35   #17
John97Tdi
Master Member

Sorry t+m,I disagree

The claims for fuel saver devices such as magnets ( and they are still advertising on ebay) frequently cites 'scientific' tests that 'prove' a 10,15 or even 20% fuel saving - something that should be very easily quantifiable in day to day experience.
I can guarantee that no truly independent scientific or engineering review of these products has ever found evidence that supports the claims that are made for them by their retailers or manufacturers.
As for your personal experience, there is a recognized phenomena of 'observer effect' where the beliefs and background of the observer can colour their subjective observations of an event therefore producing apparent results that an objective analysis cannot replicate.
As to the power of magnets to relieve pain I suggest you google 'placebo effect' because this is another area where peoples firm belief in the efficacy of a technique/treatment which is unsupported by scientific analysis is a very well recognized situation which is exploited by all manner of 'snake oil salesmen'

Reading this back it sounds a little harsh, but please believe me no offence is intended.

John
John97Tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3rd, 2014, 23:50   #18
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesV70R View Post
No, they aren't. Its all a placebo.

http://gizmodo.com/5723577/powerbala...nds-are-a-scam
http://www.health24.com/Fitness/Exer...veled-20120721

Also on the list of hoaxes are those "intake fans"

James
The thing is there has never really been major research to say one way or the other, and the general thought process is that they do not work for health. Maybe for the people they do appear to work for, it could be the placebo effect,on the other hand it may not.

Test have been done saying it is just a placebo effect, other tests say not a placebo effect and there is merit in the suggestion magnets work. Since research has not been exhaustive, the thought on whether they work or not in health is divided into the 'yes' and the 'no' camp - even some doctors believe they work, whilst others think they are nonsense.

When people say magnets are a con, as per your links, it is more so down to the fact the companies claim they work - when in fact they have no idea whether they do or not, and they should not be advertising the claims they are.

Probably like E cigs - there has been no 'real' or 'exhaustive' research to suggest whether E cigs are harmful or not,maybe they are, maybe they are not - although it seems that at least they are better than real cigarettes.

And again with E Cigs, it cannot be claimed they are an effective stop smoking aid - nor can they be advertised as such - yet they do help people quit.

Regards
Old Jun 3rd, 2014, 23:56   #19
billyboggins

placebo effect or not , i can tell you that my Jack Russells arthritis is much improved since we put a magnetic collar on him, it isn't as if he knows there are magnets in it but it has definately improved his condition.....doesn't stop him barking tho'
billyboggins is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to billyboggins For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 4th, 2014, 00:04   #20
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyboggins View Post
placebo effect or not , i can tell you that my Jack Russells arthritis is much improved since we put a magnetic collar on him, it isn't as if he knows there are magnets in it but it has definately improved his condition.....doesn't stop him barking tho'
Yes, interesting that as it dismisses the placebo effect theory

Regards