Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What do you own?

Views : 3480

Replies : 42

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: Which do you own and use?
854 7 6.67%
855 30 28.57%
S70 Ph1 8 7.62%
V70 Ph1 49 46.67%
C70 Ph1 19 18.10%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Old Feb 14th, 2015, 18:34   #11
Richard_TD
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue 8 View Post
I'd like to add a 854 in turquoise 20v to mine, maybe in time.
That's almost what mine is, diesel engine though.
Richard_TD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Richard_TD For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 14th, 2015, 19:20   #12
BunkaFas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldmember View Post
Rydell , my V70 R AWD .. Discovering new faults every week but love it and would hate to get rid of him.
I think our generation of x70s are the nicest and 1 of the most recognisable Volvos
How is that AWD treating you chap? Im cautious of the AWD .. heard so many horror stories
BunkaFas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2015, 21:23   #13
ajm
Master Member

One of the (currently) two S70s in the poll is mine... but sadly only for the next day or two after 7 years of very safe, very comfortable and completely effortless driving.

I had just resolved last Saturday to put it through another MOT and see what they found over and above what I knew needed doing when this week the lambda light came on, the very day I was going to book the MOT. (Codes revealed the rear lambda sensor to be the problem but as they're both original and done nearly 170k miles they should both really be changed.)

That was the final straw... it did the same thing last year just around the MOT and caused me a tiring month of messing about with turbo control valves, catalytic converters, vacuum lines and eventually the MAF sensor (the primary culprit all along despite the absence of fault codes suggesting so.)

This year I knew it was going to need at least one wishbone, timing belt & associated bits, new exhaust from the cat back, probably new dampers on the front... oh, and the blue smoke after a minute or so of idling... adding both lambda sensors to the list was just too much for me to consider facing at this particular point and so the casual eye open for a replacement turned into a full blown hunt.

I have now paid the deposit on a 2005 V70 - just the 2.4 140 which is going to be a bit of a comedown from the effortless torque and 193BHP of the 2.5T but I'm working up a little bit of enthusiasm for the idea of a newer car. The S70 is going as trade in, covering the cost of transporting the new car up from the depths of Englandshire. I'll be very sorry to see it go though, I dare say it'll end up scrapped which is a real shame as it's completely solid and really much too good for that.

You don't see many S70s about now and this one still looks and goes very well, it doesn't seem 17 years old... but I was equally sentimental about my previous '93 850 and the S70 actually turned out to be a slightly better car in the end I think. I hope my scepticism of the quality of the P2 cars is likewise proven unfounded...
ajm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ajm For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 14th, 2015, 22:31   #14
huron
Master Member

Thumbs up

Two V70 Tdi's, a manual and an auto.
Old Feb 15th, 2015, 00:49   #15
Goldmember
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunkaFas View Post
How is that AWD treating you chap? Im cautious of the AWD .. heard so many horror stories
Hi BunkaFas,
The AWD is a terrific . I agree ..the AWD problems are well documented and do put people off. In the last few months of bad weather the system has been great getting the power down when I wanted it ..to me that means everything! When I had my V40 T4 nothing was more frustrating when every time it was damp and you planted the foot in 2nd or 3rd gear you got wheelspin and then the juddering of the TC kicking in.. in this car it just goes! Yes you can feel the car is weighty but it feels solid and the assurance of the AWD is there .
If ( or should I say when) I get problems with the prop , if it's too costly to repair at the time I believe it's possible to remove it and run with 2WD .
So far ( touch wood ) I've just been hit with stupid but annoying niggles and costs really, mainly 2 good front tyres , new battery , and age related problems...the infamous tailgate rattle, dodgy contacts in the doors, the undertray is missing which has taken its toll letting damp getting into the engine bay causing seized bolts in various places, bad contacts/corrosion of the starter motor, gearbox oil dipstick rusted solid and broke, but all these are small potatoes in the grand scheme of things , and ironically , not AWD related.
Dont be put off. Yes it has dearer running costs with things like lower mpg, changing 2 tyres on the same axle at a time to keep the diffs happy , and the prop related issues can happen , and I know there are other technical differences, but any model of these T5/Rs can throw a big bill .
Suppose it's how they have been maintained at the end of the day.
Anyway.. Sorry for rambling on !
Cheers,
Steve
MegaBob - ‘04 XC90 D5 Spanish! ShedBob - ‘01 Moondust T5 V70, FilthyBob - '04 Silver 2.4 D5 SE V70, Rydell - '99 Silver R AWD V70, SagaBob - '98 Ruby Red 2.5T V70
Goldmember is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Goldmember For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 15th, 2015, 03:07   #16
red boxer

Default v70 ph1

V70 phase 1
red boxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15th, 2015, 09:22   #17
dt4

C70 2.4t p1
dt4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15th, 2015, 10:45   #18
colwyn
Resident Ejit

So is the P80 just the estate?

ABS controller problems, give me a shout
colwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15th, 2015, 21:37   #19
sixaparrat
Ex-Muckshifter

C70 2.3 T5 coupe.
Old Feb 15th, 2015, 22:14   #20
scvolvo
Premier Member

This should be interesting from my database it's around 20% 854 and 80% 855 in the t5rs and 850rs I have listed.
scvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote