Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Engine System Service Required

Views : 4812

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 13th, 2014, 08:57   #1
cbrown1360

Default Engine System Service Required

I have a 2007 V70 D5 with 109k miles. I drive for economy rather performance but on the rare occasion that I do accelerate hard I experience a loss of power at the top end and I get a warning message "Engine System Sevice Required". The warning message disappears after a couple of days. I am also now hearing what can best be described as a whirring noise as I accelerate. Any thoughts / suggestions as to cause would be appreciated.
cbrown1360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13th, 2014, 09:02   #2
Rossi-fan
Premier Member

Sounds very much like a fuel filter. Stick a new one in as a matter of course.
Rossi-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13th, 2014, 09:23   #3
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi-fan View Post
Sounds very much like a fuel filter. Stick a new one in as a matter of course.

+1. Exactly the same symptoms as my friend had with his D5 185 and it was the fuel filter.

Full Volvo service history and this filter had obviously been in the car from new. It was FILTHY!

As Rossi say's if you fit a new filter ( best do it yourself and you know it's been done ) then you have lost nothing even if it turns out to be something else.

Also check that the arm to the swirl valve flap is still attached. Very common problem and will also give that message.

You will find it on the front, left hand side of the cylinder head once you lift the engine cover.

It is an easy fix, I used a small nut and bolt through the centre of the ball and socket that had broken and 50K later it is still holding together

I also incorporated a home made STOP on mine as this arm breaks due to it being forced to far forward by the small electric motor that it is attached to
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Swirl Arm 028.JPG (378.3 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg volvo 013.jpg (50.9 KB, 108 views)

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic

Last edited by S60D5-185; Jul 13th, 2014 at 09:36.
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to S60D5-185 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 13th, 2014, 12:20   #4
cheshired5
Premier Member

Another cheap job is to give the MAF a clean, as if it hasn't been done before, it'll be pretty rammy on your mileage.
CRC MAF cleaner is £9.99 on eBay, although another member has had good results recently, using isopropyl from Maplins.
Never use carb cleaner.
The Following User Says Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 13th, 2014, 21:15   #5
nathlegend

Default Volvo S60 2.4 D5 HELP!

Sorry to jump on your post i have no idea what i am doing, this forum is very confusing, anyways I have just bought a 2.4 D5 S60 2004 , it emits a huge amount of smoke but still pulls very well, yet i have the message of engine service required, if i give it some stick it wont let me put any throttle on and says urgent system service required but no eml light ? has anyone any idea i will keep checking this post but if someone could Pm me id be over the moon kind regards nathan
nathlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13th, 2014, 23:07   #6
jnmonaghan

Read the sticky- ECM 6805--green writing at the start of this section.

Jude
jnmonaghan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 2014, 09:05   #7
cbrown1360

The arm to the swirl valve flap has indeed come adrift. The male socket at the engine end is worn so i'll have to adopt your nut and bolt suggestion or shell out nearly £7 for a roofing nail and washer from Volvo. Drilling the hole in the male socket could be tricky though - any suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by S60D5-185 View Post
+1. Exactly the same symptoms as my friend had with his D5 185 and it was the fuel filter.

Full Volvo service history and this filter had obviously been in the car from new. It was FILTHY!

As Rossi say's if you fit a new filter ( best do it yourself and you know it's been done ) then you have lost nothing even if it turns out to be something else.

Also check that the arm to the swirl valve flap is still attached. Very common problem and will also give that message.

You will find it on the front, left hand side of the cylinder head once you lift the engine cover.

It is an easy fix, I used a small nut and bolt through the centre of the ball and socket that had broken and 50K later it is still holding together

I also incorporated a home made STOP on mine as this arm breaks due to it being forced to far forward by the small electric motor that it is attached to
Old Jul 14th, 2014, 13:52   #8
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrown1360 View Post
The arm to the swirl valve flap has indeed come adrift. The male socket at the engine end is worn so i'll have to adopt your nut and bolt suggestion or shell out nearly £7 for a roofing nail and washer from Volvo. Drilling the hole in the male socket could be tricky though - any suggestions?

Certainly have:-

First remove the arm at both ends and find a bolt the right size and thickness to use to attach the two halves of the defective ball joint together again.

Drill a small hole same size as bolt through the very centre of the end of the swirl arm ball joint .

Get a small nail the same diameter as the bolt that you are going to use and hold it in a set of pliers across the jaws at 90 degrees whilst you heat the pointed end with a blowlamp until cherry red.

Now introduce the red hot end of the nail through the VERY CENTRE of the defective female hollow socket on the swirl FLAP ensuring it remains at 90 degrees .

Once you have made a mark on the internal socket part of the Swirl Flap joint you can continue heating the nail until you have burnt a hole through the actual swirl flap. This will not take long.

Once you have burnt all the way through you can introduce the bolt from the back of the swirl flap then slide the predrilled arm over it and assemble the bolt.

This method works very well in the confined space available and mine has needed no further attention since fitted in 2010 50 k miles ago.

One further point, i used a dremel to gently grind a little metal off the cylinder head between the back of the swirl flap. This ensures that the head of the newly installed bolt never scrubs or sticks .

Once sorted make up a STOP like mine and fit it to prevent the same happening again.

Hope this helps.

Darryl

Last edited by S60D5-185; Jul 14th, 2014 at 16:36.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to S60D5-185 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 15th, 2014, 13:09   #9
cbrown1360

Will attempt the fix as advised by S60D5-185 (thank you) when I have assembled the correct tools etc. In the meantime can anyone advise what position I should leave the flap valve arm in to avoid excessive fuel consumption?
Old Jul 15th, 2014, 16:31   #10
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Now that i don't know. Why don't you PM Clan as he will certainly know.

In all honesty, i had completed that fix in under 20 mins once i had borrowed a plumbers Gas blowtorch. Probably best to get it sorted ASAP.

No need to reset codes either as it will sort itself out and the messages will self clear once it has been functioning correctly for a while.