Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo V70 engine mount issues

Views : 9818

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 1st, 2012, 23:09   #1
zak and carter

Default Volvo V70 engine mount issues

Hi

I need some advice once again, when im decelerating in my v70 there is a vibration/grinding noise coming from the engine bay, note that only when decelerating, and goes when clutch is pressed down, at first i thought it was a gearbox issue but that has been checked and is fine,

i looked the other day and noticed that the top engine mount the one which goes to the cross bar is torn and there is some movement, i was wondering would this cause the noise as the engine would be under torque.

i read on a forum that someone else has had this issue but there was no replies to it.

so could it be a mount issue or something mount, share your ideas please also any advice where to get a replacement mount from??

thanks

Last edited by zak and carter; Jan 1st, 2012 at 23:12.
zak and carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 2012, 00:05   #2
SonyVaio
VOC Member

If you have the noise when decelerating and then the noise goes when you dip the clutch then this would actually indicate that it is indeed a some sort of clutch or box problem. My buest guess at this point would be that you have a noisy/failing clutch bearing. What year is your V70? If you have a DMF then this could also be a possibility.

SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 2012, 00:17   #3
zak and carter

its a 2001 y reg 2.4 manual petrol done 117k, im just looking for help as im stumped now and have no idea, i done a gearbox fluid change over day and it done nothing to the noise, the car drives fine other than this noise, there is no clutch judder just this noise when decelerating. no other time

Last edited by zak and carter; Jan 2nd, 2012 at 00:25.
Old Jan 2nd, 2012, 05:15   #4
ade555

I would go to gearbox center to check for dmf problem, also they may say something about the actual gearbox mount it self, before you do any work check with at least 2 garages.
ade555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 2012, 09:19   #5
Brendan W
Premier Member

Check the alternator freewheel pulley if fitted - long shot but worth eliminating.The tensioner may be jumping around a bit at idle and won't be happy decelerating.
Brendan W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 2012, 14:28   #6
Jim314
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zak and carter View Post
. . .
I looked the other day and noticed that the top engine mount the one which goes to the cross bar is torn and there is some movement, I was wondering would this cause the noise as the engine would be under torque. . . .
That upper mount is sometimes called the 'torque control' mount. If you were slowing down with engine braking, I can well imagine that if this mount were perished, then the engine could twist to an extent that it should not. There is also a lower torque control mount connecting the gear box to the body which lasts longer than the upper one, but also can be expected to fail, probably before 70,000 miles, but certainly in the lifetime of the car.

The original round bushing in this mount is not long lived because the mount is soft to isolate the body of the car from high frequency engine vibrations. If you search this topic, you will find an extensive thread or threads on the replacement of upper and lower torque control mounts.

A lot of people, including me, put in supposedly longer lasting polyurethane bushings in the OE round upper mount. The poly bushings available are so stiff that excessive vibration is transmitted to the passenger compartment and, in my case, engine vibration tore it to pieces in a shorter time than lifetime of the OE bushing. I then put in the new style square bushing assembly and I have been well satisfied. All this with less than 45,000 miles on a V70 which is not driven hard. The square bushing has been in less than 10,000 miles so I don't know how long it will last.

If you have the round aluminium frame for the upper bushing, you can install a new OE style round bushing without removing the frame from the head. The procedure is explained in threads. But it is not that much more trouble to remove the frame and install a new frame/bushing assembly. You can do this without removing the heavy steel crossbar.

Remove center bolt throught the bushing, remove the plastic cover to get access to the leftmost bolts holding the base of the frame to the head (short torx driver needed), remove the frame and bushing, insert new frame with bushing, bolt to head (don't over tighten steel bolts into aluminium head), reinsert center bolt through bushing and tighten securely.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim314 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 2nd, 2012, 23:53   #7
zak and carter

Thanks Jim i will have a look during the week, hopefully i can find the problem

thanks
Old Jan 3rd, 2012, 13:26   #8
Jim314
Premier Member

Below are some links on changing the lower 'torque rod' connecting the gearbox and the frame. At the age of your car is would probably make sense to change both the upper and the lower, but I'd change the upper one first. It could be that you should get two new bolts for the connection to the gearbox. At the frame end the bolts are pressed into the bushing frame.

Do a search on changing the upper mount.

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=142151

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=131953
Old Jan 3rd, 2012, 14:15   #9
mrc1501
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zak and carter View Post
i looked the other day and noticed that the top engine mount the one which goes to the cross bar is torn and there is some movement, i was wondering would this cause the noise as the engine would be under torque.
I think that this is most possibly the cause of your problem. Get it done and see if it has made any difference. Only after this, then look at clutch or gearbox issues if the problem persists.

My previous car. Happy days......
V70R 1997 Gone
V70 XC 2.4 T AWD 2002 Gone
2013 XC60 R design Lux Nav 2.4 D4 AWD Polestar optimised in Rebel Blue Gone
mrc1501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd, 2012, 15:45   #10
terrorcrane

+1 for the top mount and the alternator freewheel.

I had exactly the same problem, also double check the exhaust, I also had a broken bracket.
terrorcrane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine mount