Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Replace HU850

Views : 1664

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 5th, 2014, 20:05   #1
Teranova

Default Replace HU850

Dear all,

Can somebody tell me. Can I replace HU850? Do I need any software upgrade?
My car is volvo s60 2007.
A HU850 unit taken from V70 2006.

Whay I need? Because, my center speaker does not working.

Last edited by Teranova; Jul 5th, 2014 at 21:30.
Teranova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5th, 2014, 21:01   #2
strbryan
I've Been Banned

What stereo have you got fitted at the moment?
strbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5th, 2014, 21:29   #3
Teranova

I have got same, HU850, but center speaker does not working.

That's why I would like replace stereo unit.

In the scrap yard is volvo v70 2006 it has hu850...
Old Jul 6th, 2014, 19:29   #4
Yorkie200

I may be wrong, but aren't all the electrical items hard coded to the car?
Yorkie200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th, 2014, 22:16   #5
fluff110
Just a member...

The units aren't coded to the car as such, but there are various age ranges of head unit. If the range of the head unit matches the car everything will be fine. If not, the display on the hu won't light up and the steering wheel controls won't work. I fitted a 2005 MY 850 in a 2006 MY V70 that originally had a HU-650 and it works perfectly.

As your car is pretty close age wise and you already have the same model HU you have a fairly good chance of it working fine.

There is a small daughter card in the back of the HU that is part of the centre speaker amp. If thats blown you could swap it out from the scrap yard unit and you won't get any problems. Also having a spare HU would be handy for when the CD changer inevitably fails!
Old Jul 6th, 2014, 22:38   #6
Yorkie200

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluff110 View Post
The units aren't coded to the car as such, but there are various age ranges of head unit. If the range of the head unit matches the car everything will be fine. If not, the display on the hu won't light up and the steering wheel controls won't work. I fitted a 2005 MY 850 in a 2006 MY V70 that originally had a HU-650 and it works perfectly.

As your car is pretty close age wise and you already have the same model HU you have a fairly good chance of it working fine.

There is a small daughter card in the back of the HU that is part of the centre speaker amp. If thats blown you could swap it out from the scrap yard unit and you won't get any problems. Also having a spare HU would be handy for when the CD changer inevitably fails!
Thats interesting, my cd has given up the ghost and i was told it was programmed to the car so i couldnt swap it out.

I have a parrot kit ftted but still use ce so the centre speakers work properly
Yorkie200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th, 2014, 22:57   #7
fluff110
Just a member...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkie200 View Post
Thats interesting, my cd has given up the ghost and i was told it was programmed to the car so i couldnt swap it out.

I have a parrot kit ftted but still use ce so the centre speakers work properly
The car knows if you change the HU and will store a diagnostic code as a result, but its hardly the end of the world so you don't get a notification about it. Mine has three or four that keep coming back because the audio is completely different to what it should be, but it doesn't cause any problems. I suppose the assumption that parts are coded helps reduce the risk of them being stolen, and it doesn't do Volvo and harm either

The CD changer unit itself is a pretty generic Mitsubishi one and replacements can be had on eBay or Alibaba/AliExpress (sorry, can't find the part number) for less than the cost of a replacement HU.
The Following User Says Thank You to fluff110 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 7th, 2014, 21:15   #8
Teranova

Quote:

Thank you for respond.

Could you please tell me where is about a small daughter card in the back of the HU that is part of the center speaker amp?
Old Jul 7th, 2014, 21:41   #9
fluff110
Just a member...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teranova View Post
Thank you for respond.

Could you please tell me where is about a small daughter card in the back of the HU that is part of the center speaker amp?
I don't have a HU to hand at the moment (just moved house) but I'll have a look in the next couple of days and get back to you with more info.
Old Jul 8th, 2014, 22:19   #10
Teranova

Quote:
I don't have a HU to hand at the moment (just moved house) but I'll have a look in the next couple of days and get back to you with more info.

Thank you.