Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

oh woe is me

Views : 745

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 11th, 2014, 17:10   #1
madmuffet

Default oh woe is me

MOT time again,
failed on excess play in steering (again)
Last MOT I had a new rack fitted, the guy at the mot place reckons the bits that are protected behind the rubber boot COULD be a separate part and therefore to blame.
Before I go swinging a lead pipe at the mechanic who did the rack last year, I wondered if there's a breakdown diagram/parts list for the rack to see.

The actual words on the MOT refusal paper are
"Nearside Steering system has excessive free play detected at the steering wheel (steering rack fitted) [2.2.A.1b]

It's a 2006 ex plod V70.

oh, and has anyone near Chorley got DICE/VIDA and the willingness to remove the DIM SRS fault (cos I unplugged the heater controls to fit a dvd player) without robbing me blind?

Cheers folks,
Gary
madmuffet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2014, 09:29   #2
100K+
Premier Member

My V70 T5 has had the trackrods replaced a couple of MOT's ago, without having the rack replaced. As you suggest they were behind the rubber boots at the end of the rack.
IIRC there are two different makes/type and you obviously need to get the correct ones. However, if I was replacing the rack( and with the miles a Plod will have) I would have thought they would have changed the track rods too.

Replacement is a DIY job, BUT if nuts cannot be slacken cos they are too tight/corroded it becomes a PIA especially if you are working on a drive way.

Cheers

Bob
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 100K+ For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 12th, 2014, 10:47   #3
madmuffet

Thanks Bob, I'm hoping it's something like that.
Replaced the bearings, the bottom ball joints before they did the rack last year, all that's left is the ends of the rack tie bars.
Spoke to the garage who'll have a look on tues for me... watch this space ;-)

Just the 2 tyres and SRS DIM warning to sort now....
madmuffet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2014, 12:12   #4
cheshired5
Premier Member

If it is the inner tie rods, the comment on the mot is normally specific to them.
I had a specific advisory for tie rod play, so have just done mine on the drive the other day, using a dedicated tie rod removal tool and it was very easy.
On S60, it's an SMI rack up to 2003 (shorter tie rods+longer track rod ends) and ZF thereafter so definitely check if V70 follows suit.
Halfords quote for both sides was £320.
Doing it myself cost £44 and one hour of my time.
The Following User Says Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 12th, 2014, 12:26   #5
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

Hello, Could you post a link to a tool catalog showing that dedicated tool?
Also, is the ZF or SMI name/trademark how you tell the difference? Kira
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2014, 13:52   #6
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgeandkira View Post
Hello, Could you post a link to a tool catalog showing that dedicated tool?
Also, is the ZF or SMI name/trademark how you tell the difference? Kira
Hi Kira.
My gaiters were original and had SMI stamped on them and my car was manufactured way the before the changeover so it was an easy assumption.
A decent parts supplier should know though from your reg./chassis number.
Eurocarparts over here also have a specification box so you can confirm compatibility (see pics).
The link to my tool is here http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1312286865...84.m1497.l2649
For some, £28 may sound a lot for a one off (or once every 10 year) tool but it makes the job so quick and easy it was a simple decision for me and the saving I made doing the job myself paid for the tool many times over.
I'll post a dedicated thread for tie rod removal shortly which will include a video I made to show how simple a job this is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG3298.jpg (76.0 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG3306.jpg (111.4 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG3305.jpg (114.2 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2014-07-12-13-25-27_1.jpg (227.9 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2014-07-12-13-25-46_1.jpg (207.6 KB, 15 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 15th, 2014, 22:31   #7
Night rider

I can recommend a good volvo Indy, not to far from you in preston I use them all the time they have vida dice, and a good knowledge , Altys of preston, look on their website,
Night rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th, 2014, 07:16   #8
turbo d
paneuro

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
Hi Kira.
My gaiters were original and had SMI stamped on them and my car was manufactured way the before the changeover so it was an easy assumption.
A decent parts supplier should know though from your reg./chassis number.
Eurocarparts over here also have a specification box so you can confirm compatibility (see pics).
The link to my tool is here http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1312286865...84.m1497.l2649
For some, £28 may sound a lot for a one off (or once every 10 year) tool but it makes the job so quick and easy it was a simple decision for me and the saving I made doing the job myself paid for the tool many times over.
I'll post a dedicated thread for tie rod removal shortly which will include video I made to show how simple a job this is.
you could offer the use of the tool for a fiver + postage both ways! as you might only need it once every 10 years it would easily get your investment back and also help members as well.
turbo d is offline   Reply With Quote