Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Reminder to check exhaust mounts

Views : 1132

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 30th, 2019, 15:10   #1
Forrest
VOC Member

Default Reminder to check exhaust mounts

My two “daily driver” 940s have recently suffered exhaust problems. The first was caused by the failure of the rubber hangers on the middle silencer. This ultimately caused the exhaust to break in half on a rutted lane. Repair at the garage cost £400. Seeing the new exhaust appeared to hang much higher than the one on my other 940 I investigated the latter. On that one the metal hanger on the rear silencer had broken. Fortunately, I caught that one in time and an easy DIY repair only cost £13.99 for a new silencer bracket from eBay.

Might serve as a helpful reminder to others about “a stitch in time”.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 30th, 2019, 15:39   #2
gpl1968
VOC Member

Also, if like me you have a stainless exhaust, check the clamps holding the sections together. A few years ago the MOT inspector drew my attention to the clamp on the section behind the cat which was nearly rusted away.
A friend of mine has a land rover which also has a ss exhaust and it fell off one day due to corroded clamps and hangers, which were not ss.

1997 945 CD (B230FK) [RIP: 1991 945 Turbo (B230FT) 1992 945 SE turbo (B200FT)]
gpl1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gpl1968 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 30th, 2019, 22:49   #3
Ian21401
Premier Member

Just had to replace all four rubber hangers on my 940, again. They were aftermarket ones by Klarius from my local factor. Seems the two for the centre box are different (thicker) than the two for the rear box and hence have different part numbers.
The whole exhaust system is Volvo with the exception of the cat.
Another anomaly is: the rear box has hanger hooks at it’s extreme rear on the out pipe at 180 degrees to each other. The car’s subframe has the hanger hooks welded to it at points about halfway along the length of the rear box, BUT, they are not opposite each other. They are offset by about 40 mms. This means that two separate oval support bands need to be fitted to the rear box with their hooks in positions relative to the chassis hooks. I mentioned this when I bought the system from my main dealer sometime ago but I was assured that it was the correct system for my car.
I think that I will order some Volvo rubbers for next time.

Since 2005: 1992 Volvo 940 estate 2.0L. Manual. Daily driver and workhorse.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 30th, 2019, 22:58   #4
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian21401 View Post
J
Another anomaly is: the rear box has hanger hooks at it’s extreme rear on the out pipe at 180 degrees to each other. The car’s subframe has the hanger hooks welded to it at points about halfway along the length of the rear box, BUT, they are not opposite each other. They are offset by about 40 mms. This means that two separate oval support bands need to be fitted to the rear box with their hooks in positions relative to the chassis hooks. I mentioned this when I bought the system from my main dealer sometime ago but I was assured that it was the correct system for my car.
I think that I will order some Volvo rubbers for next time.
You only need one support band on the rear silencer Ian, it also has offset hooks to line up withh the hooks on the bodyshell. Use the ones above/halfway along the silencer box.
The hooks on the rear-most end that are closer together are for a different version of the back box only available on certain 740 Turbo models with twin tailpipes, as i discovered on my last 740 when a NOS Turbo tailbox came up on ebay as i was about to order the new back box to complete the system
I struggled to try and fit the oval band to it until i realised i didn't need to!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 1st, 2019, 10:23   #5
Ian21401
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
You only need one support band on the rear silencer Ian, it also has offset hooks to line up withh the hooks on the bodyshell. Use the ones above/halfway along the silencer box.
The hooks on the rear-most end that are closer together are for a different version of the back box only available on certain 740 Turbo models with twin tailpipes, as i discovered on my last 740 when a NOS Turbo tailbox came up on ebay as i was about to order the new back box to complete the system
I struggled to try and fit the oval band to it until i realised i didn't need to!
Dave, is that support band you refer to a Volvo part?
When I originally raised the issue with the main dealer I was advised that no such item existed. I tried shopping around but could only find bands with one hook so fitted two bands with their hooks aligned with the chassis hooks.
So, despite what the dealer said about the back box being the correct one for my car it appears that they were wrong.

Since 2005: 1992 Volvo 940 estate 2.0L. Manual. Daily driver and workhorse.

Last edited by Ian21401; Dec 1st, 2019 at 10:26. Reason: Add text
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 1st, 2019, 10:56   #6
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian21401 View Post
Dave, is that support band you refer to a Volvo part?
When I originally raised the issue with the main dealer I was advised that no such item existed. I tried shopping around but could only find bands with one hook so fitted two bands with their hooks aligned with the chassis hooks.
So, despite what the dealer said about the back box being the correct one for my car it appears that they were wrong.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Exhaust-H...2/401445707709

That's the sort of thing Ian, the OE part is similar. Should fit straight on to the back box you have.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 1st, 2019, 19:05   #7
Forrest
VOC Member

I wasn’t aware of the hooks on chassis being offset. This is the part I used which, whilst non-oem, looks identical to the genuine Volvo part just fitted to my other car by the local garage.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOLVO-740...9/274066516433

It seems to fit just fine. However, the part which I removed and which was broken looks exactly like the offset one in the link posted by Laird Scooby. I wonder whether Volvo used a mixture of offset and straight. If mine had the wrong part fitted last time it might explain why it broke.
Old Dec 1st, 2019, 19:25   #8
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
I wasn’t aware of the hooks on chassis being offset. This is the part I used which, whilst non-oem, looks identical to the genuine Volvo part just fitted to my other car by the local garage.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOLVO-740...9/274066516433

It seems to fit just fine. However, the part which I removed and which was broken looks exactly like the offset one in the link posted by Laird Scooby. I wonder whether Volvo used a mixture of offset and straight. If mine had the wrong part fitted last time it might explain why it broke.
Are both of your cars the same year, fuel, engine etc? I know i had one of those "straight" clamps/straps from Charlton Volvo, it wouldn't go anywhere near fitting mine because of the offset (i'd ordered the offset one originally) and they sent me the correct one after i pointed this out.

Sadly exhaust fitters often go with "what they're given" assuming it to be all correct and just fit it and hope.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 1st, 2019, 21:54   #9
bob12
bob12

Think I put up a post about all this stuff a couple of years or so ago when one of the off-set 'rubbers bonglers' on the back box clamp hanger of my 745 (same a 940's) gave up the will to live whilst driving (the noise of the tailpipe dragging on the road and effect sends strange vibration up the driver's seat!!).

Fixed the back box on the road with some wire enough to 'do' a 40 mile round trip. One 'bongler' was still attached to the a snapped clamp hanger and the other had left company with the remaining hanger and the chassis.

Basically, the off-set back box hanger bracket as ^^^^ had failed at the minimal electro spot weld on one side and the other side couldn't cope with the stress.

Subsequently, I welded the hanger back on to the clamp (that will never snap off again!!).

Trouble was that the stress very shortly cause the mid-box hanger clamp bracket to play up. As it was Winter and, after a preliminary skirmish underneath to assess the extent of the 'problem', I took the sensible decision to get my mechanic to attend to it once and for all (or at the least until rust and age reappeared!!). For £100 he put in a new mid-box and set-up the length of exhaust pipe and silencers without stress.

Two years later with only a new mid-box we are still happily motoring!!

Bob
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 1st, 2019, 23:19   #10
Forrest
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Are both of your cars the same year, fuel, engine etc?
The one that just had the new Volvo exhaust is a 1997 2.3 LPT estate and the one I fixed myself with the bracket from Charlton Volvo is a 1994 2.0 Wentworth estate. I wasn’t aware of having to force anything to get the new bracket to fit. I think it was probably the offset one that was wrong.