Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Wing mirror - spontaneous combustion

Views : 1693

Replies : 32

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 4th, 2019, 12:40   #11
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob12 View Post
Does that mean that it was heating continuously as the thermal cut-out (if that's what it is rather than a timer) wasn't working?

The mirror frame looks like the 'old' style' with the screw driver up the base to lock and unlock the mirror. As the later style fitting ring doesn't fit should you find a replacement supplier grateful you let us know where you found it.

Bob
Very good question Bob! I'm also after the earlier type of mirror glass for my 760, tried a couple of ebay sellers and they keep sending through the later type where you have to break the mirror glass to remove it from the motor like on the later 940s.

As for why the OPs mirror glass seemed to be heating, even with the ignition off, that's another problem!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 4th, 2019, 13:00   #12
bob12
bob12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Very good question Bob! I'm also after the earlier type of mirror glass for my 760, tried a couple of ebay sellers and they keep sending through the later type where you have to break the mirror glass to remove it from the motor like on the later 940s.

As for why the OPs mirror glass seemed to be heating, even with the ignition off, that's another problem!
Like yourself over recent years I have not found one supplier who can provide the old style mirror glass with the older fitting on the back. Of course, you can still buy those awful stick on mirrors.

When I run out of mirrors I will fit the more modern 940 door mirror complete (a stock item!). Unfortunately, you do have to shorten the 700 Series door trim/window scraper (another stock item!) slightly so that it fits into the hole and terminates inside the re-styled 900 Series mirror faceplate. Other than that it's a straight swap.

Bob
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 4th, 2019, 13:37   #13
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Like yourself over recent years I have not found one supplier who can provide the old style mirror glass with the older fitting on the back. Of course, you can still buy those awful stick on mirrors.

When I run out of mirrors I will fit the more modern 940 door mirror complete (a stock item!). Unfortunately, you do have to shorten the 700 Series door trim/window scraper (another stock item!) slightly so that it fits into the hole and terminates inside the re-styled 900 Series mirror faceplate. Other than that it's a straight swap.

Bob
When i got my beast, the passenger side mirror glass didn't defog so had to replace that glass, found one online but it was literally the end of the line and doesn't have the extra "blind spot" wide-angle section at the end of the mirror. Annoyingly the original did so i lost out there.

More annoyingly, i went to a shop in the village a few days later and some clumsy tractor driver managed to smash the drivers door mirror glass - previously that was the opposite hand of what was originally on the passenger side.
Bought a replacement mirror on fleabay, was for a 740 or early 940 but the glass was transferable so i did that. Sadly though some person of unknown origin and even less certain paternity had fitted one of those horrible stick on things over the original - it's not even lined up with the original glass, just slapped on there!

Been looking for a proper glass ever since.

To add insult to injury, the previous owner of mine painted the mirror backshells black - with what looks like blackboard paint!

It's slowly coming off thankfully and the body colour is underneath as it should be but i think i might have to get busy with a sanding disc!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 4th, 2019, 18:22   #14
kelvinp

Quote:

Bob
I've just got a complete early mirror assembly from a seller on ebay as a spare for mine which was hit and as my driver's one often gets hit - the seller had both types and helpfully put photos so that I could identify the correct early type (having previously bought a wrong one without realising they were different) I've got a collection of motors which I have managed to make a few good ones out of. I've also kept all the broken mirrors just for the back plates so want to try and fit one of those replacement glasses and see how they go - I've seen the wide angle ones without backing plates so these should stick on.

The original type with the locking ring are still available from Genuine Classic Parts in Sweden but they're not cheap - they cost more than the complete mirror did.
kelvinp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kelvinp For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 4th, 2019, 18:37   #15
bob12
bob12

Yes, that's the problem you can actually get them from a few sources but, I am not prepared to pay stupid prices for just a different bit of plastic drive connection. It's cheaper to get a whole 900 Series if you don't mind shortening the door trim a bit.

If you can find someone selling an old unit in good condition at a sensible price that is the same as yours go for it. You do have to watch out for non and motorised as well as heated and non-heated.

That's why I have a couple or so in stock (and several knackered ones!!) from a few years ago when I realised they were becoming few and far between.

Bob
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 4th, 2019, 19:05   #16
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelvinp View Post

The original type with the locking ring are still available from Genuine Classic Parts in Sweden but they're not cheap - they cost more than the complete mirror did.
Some stuff from GCP is reasonably priced, i've seen the price Volvo want for them from GCP and it's ŁOUCH!

Have you got a link to the wide angle jobbies without the backing plates and are they available heated?

I like Bobs idea of buying a whole 900 series but i've nowhere to park another car!

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 4th, 2019, 19:27   #17
kelvinp

These were the mirrors that I was going to try.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/c/1969616611

Without the backing plate they should stick on the old backing plate, would give me a couple more spare glasses.
kelvinp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kelvinp For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 4th, 2019, 19:36   #18
bob12
bob12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post

I like Bobs idea of buying a whole 900 series but i've nowhere to park another car!
Oh .. it's the way I tell 'em Dave! Currently, I don't have time to analyse post content!!

Bob
The Following User Says Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 4th, 2019, 19:38   #19
bob12
bob12

Quote:

Without the backing plate they should stick on the old backing plate, would give me a couple more spare glasses.
They are fine if you are happy with a stick on and are of a sober nature. Bob
The Following User Says Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 4th, 2019, 19:39   #20
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:

Thanks for that, i've added this one to my Waatch List :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/For-Volvo...e/391968577158

Think it's the same as Bob will need for his facelift 740 then it's a matter of working out how to remove the remains of the old glass from the backing plate!

Stick it in the oven at about 100-120C for a while i think!

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: