Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Car Rack or Roof Rack xc90 54 plate

Views : 3588

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 12th, 2012, 13:27   #11
Beavis
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by strepsi View Post
Thanks for all the replies, I did not mention that we will be buying a trailer for our two kids to ride in, so putting the bikes in the car sadly would not be an option.

I am 6'4'' so I think the roof option would not have been a problem, but then I did not consider low bridges and parking.

I think it may have to be a detachable towbar, I have looked on various websites and it appears that you can pick one up for about £200, not wanted I wanted to do but I think it probably would be my only option.

Cheers
i originally went for the Mont Blanc Barracuda roof carriers as they were about £120 for both. You will need roof bars though which are about £100 for Volvo Aero ones.

I've just sold those though, as i found it was a tad of a stretch to ge tthem on the roof, and whilst in France most of their tourist cark parks have barriers which i couldn't enter.

I've just bought a fixed towbar from PJonesfor £110; 13 pin electrics c.£70 ish, trailor module c.£30 ish, and the Volvo 3 bike tow bar carrier c.£260 ish(which is a Volvo branded Thule Euroclassic).

So for £500 ish, i've now got a towbar mounted bike carrier, which is much easier to fit and use on a weekly basis, can be upgraded to 4 bikes in the future. I also find the fixed towbar asthetically okay - makes it look a bit more butch - but the fixed one is not everyones cup of tea! Plus i can now take the bikes and the roof box on holiday. http://www.volvocars.com/uk/all-cars...4-874b330fb9f0 Plus mine is tiltable so i can easily access the boot.

If you want to take a trailor, then search for one which fixes to a Fixed Flange towbar bracket - this will then keep the towball free to tow a trailor.
Beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2012, 10:40   #12
strepsi

I have managed to find a company near where I live that will fit detachable tow bar for £280 inc electrics and will come to our home, I think this is a good price?

Can anybody recommend then a decent towbar rack, for two mountain bikes we will be going for Thule brand.

Cheers
strepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2012, 11:17   #13
Beavis
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by strepsi View Post
Can anybody recommend then a decent towbar rack, for two mountain bikes we will be going for Thule brand.

Cheers
i can highly recommend the Volvo one in my post ^^^^^above^^^^. it is a Thule Euroclassic with Volvo printed on the side. I ordered my from FRF VOlvo - try calling Simon/Rufe. I think mine was £260 + delivery for the 3 bike version. I don't know what the cost is of the 2 version. The Thule version - idential is over £350. The LED light THule version is £450.

this is the thule labelled version. My Volvo one is itentical - just a fair bit cheaper. http://www.skidrive.co.uk/cycle/prod...?partno=909000

Last edited by Beavis; Sep 13th, 2012 at 12:12.
Old Sep 13th, 2012, 12:08   #14
GerryS

My Thule 3 bike one is this on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Thule-TH9503...7534149&sr=8-3

£169 with free P&P.

I actually bought mine from Halfrauds a few years back at a very good price. They had a special offer on and I also had an extra 10% discount card from buying something (small) from them the previous week.

Gerry
GerryS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2012, 12:17   #15
GerryS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryS View Post
My Thule 3 bike one is this on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Thule-TH9503...7534149&sr=8-3

£169 with free P&P.

I actually bought mine from Halfrauds a few years back at a very good price. They had a special offer on and I also had an extra 10% discount card from buying something (small) from them the previous week.

Gerry
P.S. Have to say, that the Thule 4 bike hang-on towbar mounted carrier looks very good value at £92, but I've obviously got no experience of it. I suppose you also have to add a number plate/light board to it...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Thule-TH9708...=pd_sim_auto_4
GerryS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2012, 12:34   #16
toxophilus
Anti-Social Genius

It's always useful to have a towbar, even if you don't tow.

They're great when it comes to tailgaters and can minimise damage to the bodywork in the event of a "rear ender".

Given that the OP lives in Bradford, the UK's "crash-for-cash" capital I would have thought it would be a wise investment...

toxophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2012, 14:00   #17
Beavis
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxophilus View Post
It's always useful to have a towbar, even if you don't tow.

They're great when it comes to tailgaters and can minimise damage to the bodywork in the event of a "rear ender"...
thats partly why i went for a fixed one, as my old chap had his Shogun hit whilst the person behind was parking. It very slightly scratched the towbar cover, but the person behind front bumper had 2 big cracks in. Luckily he was sat in the car so saw it all.
Old Sep 13th, 2012, 19:59   #18
chb
Master Member

Smile

fixed towbar and thule euroclassic G5 here. Brilliant towbar mounted rack.
chb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2012, 21:15   #19
Beavis
Premier Member

apologies for those not interested......

this is the Thule Euroclassic 929 - bike carrier - badged as Volvo - but still has the Thule badge on it.

Got this one from FRF for c.£260+delivery (£15 i think). If you check it on ebay, they are at least £350-400 for the non LED light version.

The LED version is at least £50-100 more.

I know some people don't like seeing the towbar, but i got the fixed Witter one from http://www.pfjones.co.uk/ and i don't think it looks too bad. If i had found it aesthetically unpleasing i would have paid the extra £100 for the detachable version.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 11.jpg (288.2 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg photo 10.jpg (323.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg photo 12.jpg (312.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg photo 1.JPG (113.7 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg photo 2.JPG (148.4 KB, 8 views)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Beavis For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 16th, 2012, 21:18   #20
Beavis
Premier Member

towbar pic - just put on because i couldn't find any pictures of what a fixed towbar looks like on the XC.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 2.JPG (148.4 KB, 4 views)