Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Five number alloy wheels.

Views : 2034

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 31st, 2016, 14:52   #1
FuManchuria

Default Five number alloy wheels.

Think these are what are called 'Turbine' design; at least that's what I thought when I bought the car in 1980.
They clearly need refurbing but are not in bad condition anyway. One tyre is actually OK and would well do as a spare.
I think they should be worth in region of £20 each or make an offer. Best to collect or I will get a delivery charge if asked.
Regards,
Frank.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wheels1.JPG (66.0 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg Wheels2.JPG (53.5 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg Wheels3.JPG (67.5 KB, 43 views)
FuManchuria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14th, 2016, 15:25   #2
FuManchuria

Default Assuming there is no interest in these wheels;

Looks as if nobody is interested. I will accept pretty well any reasonable offer, although I appreciate that transport is an issue. Otherwise they are going in the skip. Shame as it would prefer somebody to have use of them.
Old Nov 14th, 2016, 15:33   #3
paddingtonbear

They are worth that scrap I believe although I guess there are not many metal recycling facilities in Farnborough :-)
paddingtonbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14th, 2016, 16:40   #4
Antz
No I'm not the redhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddingtonbear View Post
They are worth that scrap I believe although I guess there are not many metal recycling facilities in Farnborough :-)
Scrap at my local yard is £5 per wheel.

Swap a T5 motor into your RWD Volvo:The Guide
Antz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14th, 2016, 20:46   #5
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

When I was buying Scorpius I searched the interweb and they seemed to sell at a low price. You just need a buyer who appreciates the value rather than the usual lowish price. I paid a bit more than the highest comparable price I could find.

They are good wheels. Easy on the eye. They don't distract from the 240s iconic design. Indeed they complement the 240 degign. They look especially good on the saloon 240. And they are said to give a particularly comfortable ride.

As for me I've got Scorpius on the 240SE and six spare Scorpius. I'm getting good second hand tyres fitted to the spares as I find them. So that I'll have a full set of spare wheels and tyres in case of need. I'd like to have winter tyres on the spare set.

In time people will turn away from the Stalinist industrial era Virgo design ...

Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2016, 19:24   #6
FuManchuria

Default Yeah, I hadn't thought of that.

I can see that they would look really nice polished and lacquered or perhaps chromed?
Anyway, if they'll make such a scrap value maybe that's the way to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Edwin View Post
When I was buying Scorpius I searched the interweb and they seemed to sell at a low price. You just need a buyer who appreciates the value rather than the usual lowish price. I paid a bit more than the highest comparable price I could find.

They are good wheels. Easy on the eye. They don't distract from the 240s iconic design. Indeed they complement the 240 degign. They look especially good on the saloon 240. And they are said to give a particularly comfortable ride.

As for me I've got Scorpius on the 240SE and six spare Scorpius. I'm getting good second hand tyres fitted to the spares as I find them. So that I'll have a full set of spare wheels and tyres in case of need. I'd like to have winter tyres on the spare set.

In time people will turn away from the Stalinist industrial era Virgo design ...

Old Nov 16th, 2016, 23:05   #7
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Default Sorry ...

Sorry ... my Scorpius posting was in the wrong thread. Sorry.

The wheels in this thread look interesting. Like the plastic wheel covers but actual alloy wheels and far far far better looking. Are they 14" ?

Surely somone will want them in time?

Are we talking about £5 per wheel?? Really??? Then if we can find somewhere reasonable between you and the Dartford Crossing to meet, I will find/make room for them for the future. Does that help?
Old Nov 18th, 2016, 14:38   #8
FuManchuria

Default So, I can store them now.

Have found a corner where they won't be in the way, so I can store them, for as long as. Somebody commented that people might be falling over each other for these in a year or two.

Nonetheless Stephen, I would let them go now for a tenner each. Make it £60, which is the eBay reserve, and I could meet you somewhere between here and Dartford. And I'd be pleased that my wheels were being put to good use.

Those wheels have been all over; Algiers, the Sahara, Tunis, Fes, Morocco and most of Europe. They could tell a story and still looking quite good!
Old Nov 18th, 2016, 20:18   #9
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Yes I do think that it time the price of those wheels really should go up. They give the authentic look of the standard wheel cover design, but they are alloy not EEK plastic covers.

If you can store them I don't need to. I would partly rather like to have them to give the jam jar an occasional alternative look compared to the Scorpius.

If you suggest where to meet, I can guestimate how much I might pay.

Are they 14" ?

Does anyone know definitively the name of these wheels please?
Old Nov 30th, 2016, 19:39   #10
FuManchuria

Default The wheels have found a good home.

They are going to grace what sounds like a rather special rally car. I think that, if they are diamond cut they are going to look really great.
They could certainly tell a few stories from my time in North Africa with my dear old 245DL.
Apologies to anybody that I did not properly or fully respond to.