Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

850 T5 - Hesitating under hard acceleration

Views : 1170

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 9th, 2020, 23:40   #21
Lmason
L Mason

Default why replace car

replace car isnt the end of problems, its the beginning of problems.
3 hour job to do pvc including tea breaks
also replace smaller bore hoses.
done mine and my standard t5 ovetakes bmws 335 diesels when they start wheezing at 140mph (not on public roads of course)
pps bmw drivers tell me my volvo is crap old mans car, theyve taken their bmw to scrap yard when i still got my ovlov
Lmason is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lmason For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 10th, 2020, 09:33   #22
Cookeh
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taiwan740 View Post
Replacing the rotor helped the misfiring but it still coughs and splutters on all cylinders under heavy throttle. The dizzy cap never arrived so that needs doing. I've left it sufficiently long enough to regain some patience with it as my dad is using it as his potter-about machine.

Someone mentioned in some thread a while ago about the intake manifold bolts being a nice replacement for the water neck torx bolts that are stripped and need drilling out - could that person please let me know where I can find some new intake manifold bolts and what to use to drill out the existing torx bolts?

Timing belt is the next job, i don't think i'm even gonna bother with any old parts and just replace everything I see.
Manifold bolts are around £1 from Volvo. Drill the head off, separate the two housing pieces and then use mole grips or similar to remove the studs.

Hesitation over half throttle could still be boost related, the rubber boost hoses to intercooler can become very soft over time, meaning they actually get compressed before boost pressure builds enough to reinflate them. Makes the car stutter under boost. Vacuum lines are also a huge factor in boost leaks, the TCV to compressor housing one is tricky to see and replace but does fail giving the exact symptoms you describe.
Old Feb 10th, 2020, 20:20   #23
taiwan740

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmason View Post
replace car isnt the end of problems, its the beginning of problems.
Yeah I know what you mean. I have a 940 and a 960 which I'm more than content with though. The 850 was mega cheap, I probably shouldn't have bothered, but my dad has it now anyway and he enjoys it. If the 900 fleet weren't there I'd still for sure rather have the 850 than anything else I see on the road.
taiwan740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2020, 20:28   #24
taiwan740

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookeh View Post
Manifold bolts are around £1 from Volvo. Drill the head off, separate the two housing pieces and then use mole grips or similar to remove the studs.
Thanks, appreciate it.

Yeah, I took it in somewhere local for them to locate the boost leaks, they found one major one (fixed now) and one of the little 4mm hoses that goes to the "boost actuator" (he said) so he replaced it but that lasted a good 12 seconds as you can see its burnt through it again.

There's no way I'm delving that deep into the car to replace it. I just don't have the enthusiasm. As above, my dad has it and he enjoys using it for now. I've got my 940 and 960 and living a generally peaceful life without it for now.
taiwan740 is offline   Reply With Quote