Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Insurance - a heartfelt warning!

Views : 4247

Replies : 51

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 13th, 2015, 17:00   #11
Dancake
Premier Member

When asked if my car has any modifications, I always reply 'not that I know of'. Most people haven't got a clue about cars. They get in and drive them. Are buyers of second hand cars now going to be expected to acquire every little detail about the car before they buy and insure it? If I rang Vauxhall/Volvo/Ford etc tomorrow asking for a printout of the factory specs of my vehicle, they might want proof of ownership. Then if they are happy they MAY decide to furnish me with this information. Now what happens when these companies start getting 300 queries like this a day? They won't want to be paying admin fees for services like this. If you have anything modified declare it, if you aren't sure make sure you tell them you don't know. Certain modifications can affect vehicle safety, but a stereo? Never heard the likes of it. Wheels keep you on the road, so its understandable that insurance companies are a bit sharp when it comes to them. I do believe however that insurance companies use these supposed modifications as excuses not to pay out.
Dancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 2015, 17:29   #12
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

The claim about the stereo is not true, unless the other driver said it was so loud it distracted him, or it was so powerful it set fire to the wiring.

What the other driver claims does not matter much, it just attracts attention in some cases to the speed factor.

Did you find out what paperwork was filed by the two witnesses, as it needs to be signed and certified statements etc ??

If the car has non standard wheel or tyre sizes that are not listed in the handbook, then alas it's a lost cause in most cases and only the third party part is valid. In real serious cases when you get convicted of somthing like drink driving and the tyres are wrong, they can take legal action against the policy holder to get their money back for 3rd part costs.

Do you have any documentation that can prove the wheels were fitted prior to you buying the car, like an MOT certificate combined with a statement from the inspector or garage fitting receipt ??

I never bother with fully comp insurance for older cars, as the grief involved in a claim can be real bad. Times have changed and insurance companies (Nearly all of them) are investigating far more cases and pushing the limits to try and dodge paying. The attempted fraud marker is nasty though and I would try and find out exactly why they did that, as I can't understand the reason.

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)

Last edited by skyship007; Apr 13th, 2015 at 17:35.
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to skyship007 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 13th, 2015, 17:34   #13
clarkey1984
Premier Member

That's utter bullsh!t to be honest, how are people supposed to know what exact sized wheels your car had when it left the factory if you aren't the original owner, that's really not on at all, ridiculously unfair.

Last edited by clarkey1984; Apr 13th, 2015 at 17:39.
clarkey1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 2015, 17:36   #14
ilikewatch
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyship007 View Post
Do you have any documentation that can prove the wheels were fitted prior to you buying the car, like an MOT certificate combined with a statement from the inspector or garage fitting receipt ??
I'm not sure why any MOT documentation would record wheel size unless it was noted as a failure because different sized wheels were fitted on the same axle.
'18 (68) silver Volvo V40 T3 R Design
ilikewatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 2015, 17:41   #15
clarkey1984
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikewatch View Post
I'm not sure why any MOT documentation would record wheel size unless it was noted as a failure because different sized wheels were fitted on the same axle.
If you've ever had a tyre check as part of a service or anything done somewhere like ATS they will give you the little chart they write on which has the tyre size on and the tread depth for all wheels, unless this is only for fleet or work vehicles, I know my mates company car is like that.
Old Apr 13th, 2015, 17:44   #16
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
I don't get how they're saying your policy is invalid and cancelled due to the stereo non disclosure but they've paid the third party.
Either you have a policy with them and they stump up for everything or you don't have a policy and they don't pay anyone.
If I caused a bump tomorrow, Admiral wouldn't pay the third party because I don't have a policy with them, so why pay the third party on yours?
I find their stance on their own liability very odd.
There are two reasons, firstly the tyres are not listed in the handbook (I forget which V40 model can use 17 inch ones, but it's one of the early sport models I think), so that means the vehicle is non standard in terms of an incorrect initial application.

Fitting the wrong tyres after the policy has been issued is classed as either gross negligence (If they can prove the effect is serious), or an undeclared modification.

Old Apr 13th, 2015, 17:48   #17
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikewatch View Post
I was thinking more along the lines of the garage or inspector providing a signed statement that they were fitted before the MOT. Rather a long shot though.
The bill of sale or initial advertising might also list the tyre or wheel size and if it does then that might be used to cancel the fraud marker. The claim is still a lost cause though.

Last edited by skyship007; Apr 13th, 2015 at 17:51.
Old Apr 13th, 2015, 17:51   #18
volvo145
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyship007 View Post
There are two reasons, firstly the tyres are not listed in the handbook (I forget which V40 model can use 17 inch ones, but it's one of the early sport models I think), so that means the vehicle is non standard in terms of an incorrect initial application.

Fitting the wrong tyres after the policy has been issued is classed as either gross negligence (If they can prove the effect is serious), or an undeclared modification.
A lot of your own model had 17 inch fitted as standard!
What do you mean fitting the wrong tyres?
volvo145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 2015, 17:54   #19
DXMachina
I ate all your bees

I can confirm from my own experience as an Admiral customer that they DO NOT consider an aftermarket stereo to be an upgrade

therefore Admiral are in breach of contract

I recommend you sue them for breach and damages resulting
they will without doubt fold and settle out of court as their position in this is untenable
Old Apr 13th, 2015, 17:58   #20
kieran40
I've Been Banned

My insurance company are as good as gold always have been only engine mods they are interested in not aesthetics and stereos lol, if it was me mate I'd get on to the ombudsman or some such body and complain like merry hell especially if this is youre first claim, all insurance company's are crooks they know you have no choice but to have it so they call the shots.
kieran40 is offline   Reply With Quote