Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D5 185 Engine Noise (Thud, Thud Noise from airbox area)

Views : 11364

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 18th, 2014, 09:30   #11
ukdido

In my head manifold or turbocharger leak.
V70 2.4 170bhp 1998
ukdido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th, 2014, 09:23   #12
Torsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5cilinder View Post
If it sounds like an exhaust sound out of the inlet , then its almost 100% faulty/soft hydraulic valve lifters if some exhaustvalve lifters lift somewhat later you get some exhaustpressure releaving via the inletvalves
If you remove the pipe after the egr and to the valvecover and run your engine and the tumpnoise comes out of the valvecover your pretty sure it is what im suggesting
Just to make sure you dont have a leaking inletvalve measure the compression if its bad the good news is that its not your lifters but the bad news is that you need to lift the cilinderhead and replace the valve but thats a tiny chance
Post a videoclip to clarify the noise

There was an internal volvo bulletin pointing at a bad batch of lifters in the early euro4 d5's /2005/2006 engines according to a volvomechanic

I had the problem myself too and indeed the lifters where soft and replacing cured the problem
Also read on some dutch forums about some early euro4 diesels with the same symptomes and replacing lifters worked for them too
Dont replace only the faulty ones replace all of them ,because its a bit of work and you have to replace the commonrail injector piping too to get under the valvecover and it needs to be refitted new to prevent leaking
So replacing some and then a year later replacing more is expensive
Hi
Can 2002 mod, 2.4d have the same valve issue? Mine gets more thud-thud for every day and engine is shaking. Tryed new injectors på cylinder 4 and 5 but the same. But the injectors looks very dirty with soot when I take them out again to have a look.
Torsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th, 2015, 16:41   #13
Culha

@Torsen

your injectors are leaking or they are filthy.
Culha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th, 2015, 19:43   #14
GJB
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culha View Post
@Torsen

your injectors are leaking or they are filthy.
This thread is over 6 months old would have thought the problem would have been fixed by now!
GJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th, 2015, 20:25   #15
Nickthecook

I have an early euro4 V70 185bhp with 198k miles on the clock. I also have the noise coming from the air box. I've put mine down to a worn exhaust vlave lifter. The valve doesn't open for long enough to allow all the exhaust gases to flow out. This leaves some gases remaining when the inlet valve opens, which then escape through the industion system. Sounds worse than it is as the noise is amplified by all the pipework before hitting the airbox. If it is the lifters on yours, you should notice it louder when the engine has warmed up.

The lifters themselves aren't very expensive. I paid £180 for 20 new ones. You will also need 3x new camshaft.oil seals and a new rocker cover gasket. My cambelt has only done 18k so I plan to reuse it. If yours is anywhere near needing to be replaced, I'd do that also. If you plan to do the job yourself, allow a few days. There's alot to remove to get the old ones out. Everything is set out in the Haynes manual. You will need also, the crank stop tool and cam lock tool. I had mine made up at a local machine shop for £15, the dimensions for them are in Haynes. If you take it to a garage, you will be looking at 14-16 hours of labour. One guy on here got quoted £1200 + parts by Volvo. I was told by the local Police mechanic to allow 6hrs to get to the point of removing the camshafts. He's worked on plenty of D5's. You will also need to allow 12hrs after the jobs completed, before turning the engine over. This is to allow the new lifters to settle and drain.

Although it's not ideal to keep running the car as it is, it won't get any worse, unless more lifters fail. Diesels after all, recirculate exhaust gas through the egr valve.

Mine will be going off the road in the next week to have them replaced. Myself and a friend plan to do the job. There is a thread I started a few weeks ago. As soon as we start, I'll be uploading pics and commenting on any problem areas we stumble upon.
Nickthecook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th, 2015, 22:02   #16
Culha

@Nickthecook

Hi, thanks for your info, a local volvo-dealer said me the injectors are the resource of the sound.

Last edited by Culha; Apr 6th, 2015 at 22:31.
Old Apr 15th, 2015, 00:03   #17
Rooster
Speed freak

The D5 tug boat noise
07 CB600 Hornet --- 2 wheel fun
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rooster For This Useful Post:
Old May 3rd, 2015, 21:09   #18
volvo for ever
Premier Member

rooster spot on tug boat noise renewing lifters etc helps this big job though
volvo for ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2015, 23:18   #19
Rozgi

Default Resolution

I sorted out my problem completely.
So the THUD THUD noise came from the airbox due to an overcharging turbo.
The following had to be fixed:
* Swirl adjusting motor (had little to do with the noise but it was dead)
* Leaking intercooler (due to overcharge) replaced by a new
* Turbo (jammed VTG mechanism) exchanged to a refurbished piece

and it was nothing with the valves, end or EGR (despite it was told me quite a few times).

So I suggest to check all error codes and think about what could be the root cause. The system is quite tricky (with the turbo and the EGR and valve cross opening) but possible to cure. My one runs like charm now.

Last edited by Rozgi; May 5th, 2015 at 23:23.
Rozgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2015, 18:53   #20
Culha

Look this videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75sm5CxxMt0 & https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ji1ucw7Obt8