Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New 145 Restoration Project Of 'Margo'

Views : 8469

Replies : 57

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 9th, 2023, 20:19   #51
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve 940 View Post
Oh you really know how to rub it in……. Probably similar to Margo once her shiny paint is removed, but a third of the price 🙁🙁 albeit it’s missing a few parts, but not insurmountable.

Hey ho, Cheers
Steve
Margo's interior is worth the differential in price alone. And she is running.
ITSv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 9th, 2023, 21:13   #52
Steve 940
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSv40 View Post
Margo's interior is worth the differential in price alone. And she is running.
Reassuring words, thank you, and yes her interior is wonderful, been calling in to start her up every week, but the weather has been so awful I haven’t been able to get her out in the sunshine for her photoshoot.

Every time I get in, the interior springs another pleasing detail, wonderful delicate steering wheel rim, down to the organ pedal type of accelerator.

She’s a runner yes, but I need to get my head round that I have to manually pull the choke, after driving moderns for so long, the habit has been lost. Used to tool around in Minis and ubiquitous clothes pegs were essential😀

Cheers
Steve
Steve 940 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve 940 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 10th, 2023, 05:53   #53
Othen
Premier Member

Good morn Steve,

Your 145 (Margot) looks fine, I would not worry about comparing it with others that might or might not have been.

I'm a bit confused about the storage and insurance at the moment. Perhaps I've missed something, but I got the impression your new garage is not finished yet - and that the 145 is stored under cover somewhere fairly locally. In that case why would you be thinking of moving it this month? If that is the plan don't do it (that is my humble opinion)!

A 50 year old motor car will not survive winters being left uncovered - this isn't at all like a modern one. I'd say don't be hasty: leave Margot where it is until you have the new garage complete or Easter - whichever comes sooner.

I hope I have misunderstood something and you have a plan to keep your nice 50 year old motor car under cover - at least for the winter months.

Yours aye,

Old Nov 10th, 2023, 07:57   #54
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Good morn Steve,

Your 145 (Margot) looks fine, I would not worry about comparing it with others that might or might not have been.

I'm a bit confused about the storage and insurance at the moment. Perhaps I've missed something, but I got the impression your new garage is not finished yet - and that the 145 is stored under cover somewhere fairly locally. In that case why would you be thinking of moving it this month? If that is the plan don't do it (that is my humble opinion)!

A 50 year old motor car will not survive winters being left uncovered - this isn't at all like a modern one. I'd say don't be hasty: leave Margot where it is until you have the new garage complete or Easter - whichever comes sooner.

I hope I have misunderstood something and you have a plan to keep your nice 50 year old motor car under cover - at least for the winter months.

Yours aye,

Just my take on things.

I understand Margo is in brother-in-law's barn until Steve's garage is finished. I also understood that Steve is planning a little road trip to Southwold - while she is road legal - to get to know her a little better and see how she drives. It will be a useful exercise as a 'to do' list can be formulated and actioned ready for next season.

Again my understanding is that Steve is going to get her to a usable standard and drive her before embarking on a full body restoration.

Last edited by ITSv40; Nov 10th, 2023 at 07:59.
ITSv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 10th, 2023, 09:34   #55
Steve 940
Premier Member

Well I couldn’t really have put it much better, yes she had a new MOT just in Oct when I picked her up, so is currently resting in my brother in laws barn.

In a moment of madness, I toyed with the idea of collecting it by train to P’Boro then just drive her back, so I insured her on my Multicar policy for about £7, that expires 14th Nov.

I will get her insured separately on a classic policy as I do want to use her on nice sunny days over winter, basically as a fault finder, so I can get an idea of what needs doing, parts needing sourcing etc.

Of course I could get to like her foibles / patina, and just keep her as she is, but I know that shiny paint is hiding all sorts of sins

A few trips in Margo to sunny Southwold with the better half and the hounds over winter for a fish n chip lunch can only be a good thing👍👍. Oh yes easily pleased😀😀

Cheers
Steve
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Steve 940 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 10th, 2023, 14:11   #56
Moomoo
VOC Member

Once you’ve had a look over the old girl and found things which need addressing in the future the less the present condition of her will matter. Using her on non salty days in winter is the best way to assess what’s what !👍🧐
Old Nov 10th, 2023, 15:16   #57
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSv40 View Post
Just my take on things.

I understand Margo is in brother-in-law's barn until Steve's garage is finished. I also understood that Steve is planning a little road trip to Southwold - while she is road legal - to get to know her a little better and see how she drives. It will be a useful exercise as a 'to do' list can be formulated and actioned ready for next season.

Again my understanding is that Steve is going to get her to a usable standard and drive her before embarking on a full body restoration.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve 940 View Post
Well I couldn’t really have put it much better, yes she had a new MOT just in Oct when I picked her up, so is currently resting in my brother in laws barn.

In a moment of madness, I toyed with the idea of collecting it by train to P’Boro then just drive her back, so I insured her on my Multicar policy for about £7, that expires 14th Nov.

I will get her insured separately on a classic policy as I do want to use her on nice sunny days over winter, basically as a fault finder, so I can get an idea of what needs doing, parts needing sourcing etc.

Of course I could get to like her foibles / patina, and just keep her as she is, but I know that shiny paint is hiding all sorts of sins

A few trips in Margo to sunny Southwold with the better half and the hounds over winter for a fish n chip lunch can only be a good thing👍👍. Oh yes easily pleased😀😀

Cheers
Steve
Thank you chaps. I'm so pleased I had completely misunderstood the plan. A few day trips to Southwold over the winter before returning to the barn would be a would be a really good idea.

I should keep up with the news more
Old Nov 19th, 2023, 16:43   #58
Steve 940
Premier Member

Default First Test Run Out, no tow rope required👍👍

Well after a few weeks of ownership a dry day at last, so decided to give old Margo her first test run on the road.

Fuel gauge had been registering full when I had started her up each week, but I’m pretty sure the prior owner didn’t top her up on sale. 10 litres of finest e5 Shell Super should be enough for a run out.

Well I knew the engine wasn’t running the smoothest, and still the same even after a few miles run, however starts first turn with the choke around half way out. Oil looking good, clean and to level, coolant topped up as I know there’s a small leak on hoses to the matrix, heater on cold to limit losses.

Circular test route of circa 5 miles, so off we went with a notebook to list the faults. Worst fault is the auto box, it’s a 3 speed column change, but won’t change into top for some reason now?? Hopefully will just need cable adjustment….. after a few miles temp gauge showing just under midway, but fuel had no change. Strip speedo is fantastic old thing, and works, (I think) the indicator line I had assumed would be vertical, but it’s at a sort of 45 degree angle??

Limited myself to one lap to preserve my hearing😀 but overall a happy chap, yes, she’s one heavy old thing to steer when slow manoeuvring, but once rolling it’s fine.

Parts required list getting longer😀😀

Cheers
Steve
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Steve 940 For This Useful Post: