Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Does anyone really want heated seats?

Views : 2322

Replies : 56

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 21st, 2023, 15:33   #1
Offgrid
Offgrid camper

Default Does anyone really want heated seats?

The fuse holder for the seat heaters in my 740 saloon is burnt out. That's probably the result of a leaking sunroof wetting the seat, and overloading the fuse. I had heated seats in my Scorpio, and I found them uncomfortable and annoying. I gather that their use can result in you developing piles. In all my years of driving, I've never felt to need to heat my bum. Using the car heater in extremely cold weather is usually sufficient. So who wants these unhealthy devices? I gather some modern manufacturers even charge a monthly fee to use them - that's madness imho.
Save Old Cars
Offgrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21st, 2023, 15:39   #2
Whippy
Premier Member

I use mine a lot, it's helps take the chill off the leather and if your back was like mine you'd understand. Still, each to their own.
Old Dec 21st, 2023, 16:28   #3
ITSv40
VOC Member

Yes, love mine in cold weather.
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 21st, 2023, 16:31   #4
Whyman
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSv40 View Post
Yes, love mine in cold weather.
So do I, particularly with leather seats.

Plus if you have a bad back it is great for easing the symptoms.
Old Dec 21st, 2023, 16:44   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offgrid View Post
The fuse holder for the seat heaters in my 740 saloon is burnt out. That's probably the result of a leaking sunroof wetting the seat, and overloading the fuse. I had heated seats in my Scorpio, and I found them uncomfortable and annoying. I gather that their use can result in you developing piles. In all my years of driving, I've never felt to need to heat my bum. Using the car heater in extremely cold weather is usually sufficient. So who wants these unhealthy devices? I gather some modern manufacturers even charge a monthly fee to use them - that's madness imho.
The original reason Volvo pioneered heated seats in all their cars since 1976 is to take the chill off them rather than pump heat into you. however they got more effective from around the mid 1980's but still had a low setting you could use.
A volvo is the only car you can get into with a bad back and when you get out the other end its ok ! no doubt the subtle heat helps.
Old Dec 21st, 2023, 17:03   #6
Phil Croxley

I love heated seats, and in all my years of driving I've never suffered with farmers as a result!
Old Dec 21st, 2023, 17:16   #7
100K+
Premier Member

Default ....and steering wheel too...

I love my heated seats and even more if possible the heated steering wheel on my new V60.
I can't believe I'm saying this, as I gave my Ex son in law so much skit when he opted for a heated steering wheel in his Corsa, but it quickly gets my cold hands lovely and warm without the need for gloves. I suffer from a bad back and really appreciate the heated seats too which as other have commented on does ease the old back.

Cheers
Bob
2002 V70 T5 SE now sold
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 100K+ For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 21st, 2023, 17:39   #8
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

My wife loves the heated seats and heated steering wheel in her KIA but she does have circulation problems which mean she is a lot more sensitive to the cold, personally I'm not so bothered but I have used them a couple of times just to take the chill off when I get in so I'm not sitting tensed up against the cold. Compared to the regular heater they have the advantage of being virtually instant against the ten minutes it can take to get the engine warm enough to heat the interior. On the flip side in the Volvo truck I used to drive the heated seat could get very hot to the extent of being uncomfortable, I soon learnt to flick it on when I got in and off before I left the yard, trying to drive standing up while it cooled down wasn't good

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21st, 2023, 17:49   #9
Chris1Roll

Love them, specifically chose them as options in my last 2 company cars.
Chris1Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21st, 2023, 18:02   #10
GrahamBrown1
VOC Member

Yeah use them daily in winter just to take the chill off the leather and then I normally reduce the heat until turning off. We also have a Mazda and that has a heated steering wheel. Wish my s80 had this also.

Current- 05 XC90 D5 Exec, 12 XC70 D4 AWD Se Lux, 14 S80 D3 Se Lux
GrahamBrown1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
740 seats, heated seats