Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2.4d Overboost issues

Views : 1337

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 1st, 2024, 11:40   #1
bigbeat

Default 2.4d Overboost issues

Happy new year everyone!

As a treat a few months ago I treated myself to a remap for my V70. (2.4D 163KW version).

It had ben driving fine up until this morning. Under light load I'm getting a flutter. So I cannot get on a steady 'boost' pressure. The car then goes into overboost protection. So that I cannot get any boost pressure.

Using the Torque app I ham getting the following codes;

P0234 Overboost condition
P0101 Mass air flow performance problem
P2A00 O2 sensor circuit range

P0234 was the only code first displaying. I'm now getting the other two. Which makes sense, If I have too much air the mixture will be off and foul the o2 sensor.

In my root cause findings I initially thought there is a boost control valve on these engines but cannot find one.
Am I right in saying there is not one? Or is there something located on the turbocharger?

I cannot see any vacuum lines to anything and going to assume that there are none.

So my thought train is;

Check air leaks and make sure everything is tight
MAF sensor clean / replacement
Wastegate issue?
bigbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1st, 2024, 13:25   #2
seanc

In case this helps, I had only P0234 on my D3 5 cylinder S80 which was caused by the Pierburg boost controller (think that's the correct name) it lives at the back passenger side of the engine bay.
I replaced mine, but I have read that you can dismantle it to access and clean a filter screen that can become clogged.
Old Jan 1st, 2024, 14:31   #3
bigbeat

Was it attached to the engine or to the bulkhead?
Old Jan 1st, 2024, 15:04   #4
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbeat View Post
Happy new year everyone!

As a treat a few months ago I treated myself to a remap for my V70. (2.4D 163KW version).

It had ben driving fine up until this morning. Under light load I'm getting a flutter. So I cannot get on a steady 'boost' pressure. The car then goes into overboost protection. So that I cannot get any boost pressure.

Using the Torque app I ham getting the following codes;

P0234 Overboost condition
P0101 Mass air flow performance problem
P2A00 O2 sensor circuit range

P0234 was the only code first displaying. I'm now getting the other two. Which makes sense, If I have too much air the mixture will be off and foul the o2 sensor.

In my root cause findings I initially thought there is a boost control valve on these engines but cannot find one.
Am I right in saying there is not one? Or is there something located on the turbocharger?

I cannot see any vacuum lines to anything and going to assume that there are none.

So my thought train is;

Check air leaks and make sure everything is tight
MAF sensor clean / replacement
Wastegate issue?
As far as I know, there is no boost control valve (some refer to it as a solenoid) on a euro 4 and newer engine. The turbo actuator is electronically controlled on these engines, whereas the older euro 3 had all kinds of vacuum lines that go to the vacuum engine mounts, vacuum pump, turbo control valve, boost solenoid and eventually the turbo. Assuming your car is a euro 4, you won’t have all these vacuum lines. You’ll have a vacuum pump and that’s about it.

Have you checked the boost pipes that go to the turbo and intercooler for splits?

I’d suspect the MAP sensor (Manifold Absolute Pressure), if the pipes all look fine. Someone recently had a PO234 code and that turned out to be the issue. Its not easy to access though, so expected some skinned knuckles. Its on the intercooler, behind the passenger side headlight. Could be worth giving it a clean and/or replacing it.

Note: The original is Bosch, so replace it with the same. Its not a job you want to be doing again in a hurry.

See post number 40 on this thread.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...=302878&page=4

Last edited by Kev0607; Jan 1st, 2024 at 15:46.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1st, 2024, 16:04   #5
bigbeat

Thanks for this. I have ordered some cleaner , give it a clean first and see what that does.

That looks nice a tricky to get to! The pipes look in good condition from what I can see. The only one really leaking is the crankcase breather. I'll give everything a clean and see what happens.

The pipes are not easy to get off!
Old Jan 1st, 2024, 20:10   #6
seanc

Quote:
Was it attached to the engine or to the bulkhead?
Yes, it's on the bulkhead and it looks like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/402365987...mis&media=COPY
Old Jan 2nd, 2024, 11:05   #7
bigbeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanc View Post
Yes, it's on the bulkhead and it looks like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/402365987...mis&media=COPY
I've looked and have not got this. Will try the MAP sensor first and feedback if it fixed the issue
Old Jan 2nd, 2024, 14:09   #8
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
I've looked and have not got this. Will try the MAP sensor first and feedback if it fixed the issue
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/402365987...mis&media=COPY

I think that's a DPF pressure sensor. I watched a chap doing a DPF clean on an XC90 and that part looks the same as what he put the chemical cleaning additives into (via the tubes).
Old Jan 14th, 2024, 12:07   #9
bigbeat

Talking

I've gotten a bit further. Using Torque app I have completed a before and after of changing the map sensor.

Before it was sitting at 78 Celsius. Now after changing it on idle it is sitting at a more respectable 17 Celsius so one thing cured sort of.
I cleaned the MAF and it looked okay however my next step would be to replace this?
I'm still getting a wastegate noise flutter even on gentle throttle.

Am I right in saying the wastegate is electronically controlled?
New MAF sensor first or ECM?
Old Jan 14th, 2024, 20:45   #10
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
I've gotten a bit further. Using Torque app I have completed a before and after of changing the map sensor.

Before it was sitting at 78 Celsius. Now after changing it on idle it is sitting at a more respectable 17 Celsius so one thing cured sort of.
I cleaned the MAF and it looked okay however my next step would be to replace this?
I'm still getting a wastegate noise flutter even on gentle throttle.

Am I right in saying the wastegate is electronically controlled?
New MAF sensor first or ECM?
Its electronically controlled on the euro 4 and newer engines. What year is your car? If its a euro 3, its vacuum controlled.

Are there any codes relating to the MAF? If not, there's not much point in changing it. Same with the ECM... that would be very expensive.