Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D5: Puff of blue smoke upon cold start with Video

Views : 1351

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 11th, 2024, 21:58   #21
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daim View Post
Did your car show the check engine light or were they hidden codes?
On my dad's V70, especially on cold mornings, it would rumble or shake for a few seconds on startup. There was no warning light on the dash, but when I hooked up diagnostics, it said there was a fault with cylinder 2 glow plug.

If you have diagnostics available, its worth checking. Some fault codes don't display warning messages, which sounds odd, but its true.
Old Jan 12th, 2024, 11:50   #22
bananarama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daim View Post
Did your car show the check engine light or were they hidden codes?
Nothing! Same as Kev0607 actually, rough-ish starts on cold mornings with no check engine light or anything. If I plugged the OBD reader I could see the glow-plug-related error-codes.

In case it helps I use Veepeak OBDCheck BLE+ along with the Car Scanner ELM OBD2 app on my phone. Ideally I should get VIDA...
bananarama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bananarama For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 12th, 2024, 16:28   #23
Daim
Brit in Germany

Okay, cheers! I'll then see if I can get codes checked. Just to make sure...

2010 V70 (Type 135) D5 (D5244T10) Automatic (TF-80SC)
Daim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daim For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 19th, 2024, 14:10   #24
Daim
Brit in Germany

Checked the plugs today, looks like the workshop didn't replace them, like charged. Great 'stealership'. I also had my exhaust off to replace it found pieces of the DPF in the pipe between the DPF and the rear axle. On top of that, parts of the DPF have broken out of the wafer. We'll, new DPF required then.

Old Feb 16th, 2024, 13:01   #25
Daim
Brit in Germany

Okay guys, the results are in.

I first checked the glow plugs. My results were that two didn't work. So I was assuming, that the car had 2 dead glow plugs. Then again, I couldn't check the OBD so I couldn't see if the car had stored any issues/fault codes.

My next step was to replace the exhaust anyway. In this moment I found out, that the DPF had broken. That would explain the soot and black smoke out of the exhaust. The DPF had deiced to break into several pieces and the result was it didn't work - oddly the regeneration of the DPF was still triggered but it didn't ever tell me do do so.

As I needed a new DPF and wasn't prepared to do it myself, I went to Volvo and also told the tech expert (long long time in the Volvo trade) about the blue smoke upon coldstart and that I seem to have found dead glow plugs.

I picked the old bugger up half a day later and was told: the blue smoke thing is easily solved with an update, which was missing on my V70. Seems the previous owners didn't even bother getting updates. In the end, a new DPF was required - I knew that - and the glow plugs are all good. Cold starts are now totally smooth and it doesn't stink of unburnt fuel nor is there any blue smoke. He basically said it would probably just be an update thing... and seemingly was right.

So sometimes going to the experts from the brand is the best thing to do. Especially if they have all that experience of working on D5s.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Daim For This Useful Post: