Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Rough idle when cold

Views : 1843

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 13th, 2023, 14:37   #1
pphilpot
Premier Member

Default Rough idle when cold

Hi all - I bought a 1.6D2 (D4162T) last week, and its idle is lumpy when cold, for about 30 seconds to a minute, but then fine once a little warmed up.

I plugged in my DiCE and ran Vida and no faults are stored - which is good and bad. Good as there are no faults stored, and bad as I have no idea where to start

I searched around on here, and saw a recent thread about testing glow plugs, and all 4 of my measure at 2.2 ohms, with my multimeter leads measuring 0.2 ohms. I guess this means that they are okay...?

The car is high-milage at 155,000 miles, and has had an injector replaced recently (ish) (I assume as it's cleaner then the other three).

Any pointers as to what to check/clean to move down a list of things to tick off to try to solve this?

Many thanks for any help in advance!

Paul

Last edited by pphilpot; Feb 13th, 2023 at 14:43.
pphilpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2023, 15:44   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pphilpot View Post
Hi all - I bought a 1.6D2 (D4162T) last week, and its idle is lumpy when cold, for about 30 seconds to a minute, but then fine once a little warmed up.

I plugged in my DiCE and ran Vida and no faults are stored - which is good and bad. Good as there are no faults stored, and bad as I have no idea where to start

I searched around on here, and saw a recent thread about testing glow plugs, and all 4 of my measure at 2.2 ohms, with my multimeter leads measuring 0.2 ohms. I guess this means that they are okay...?

The car is high-milage at 155,000 miles, and has had an injector replaced recently (ish) (I assume as it's cleaner then the other three).

Any pointers as to what to check/clean to move down a list of things to tick off to try to solve this?

Paul
There was a fix for these symptoms around 2014 about injector calibrating whilst driving, Your dealer should know about it. Have you got the latest software? There could be some smoke too, have you noticed?
Old Feb 13th, 2023, 15:49   #3
pphilpot
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
There was a fix for these symptoms around 2014 about injector calibrating whilst driving, Your dealer should know about it. Have you got the latest software? There could be some smoke too, have you noticed?
Thanks Clan (I was hoping that you'd chip in ). Yes, I noticed yesterday morning while starting it on the drive, as small about of white smoke during cold idle...

So does this mean a trip to the dealer rather than my Vida, or a local mechanic?
Old Feb 13th, 2023, 21:42   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Thanks Clan (I was hoping that you'd chip in ). Yes, I noticed yesterday morning while starting it on the drive, as small about of white smoke during cold idle...

So does this mean a trip to the dealer rather than my Vida, or a local mechanic?
I have a feeling it hasn't seen a volvo dealer about this problem and that someone has assumed it is the injectors and thrown some perfectly good injectors out and fitted some cheap ones and given up and passed it onto you.

This problem was cleared up around 2015 with a software update which added more effective self calibrating routines. Your dealer will have the relevant Technical Journal on this problem cold start and smoke and rough running. especially in colder weather. No one has better info than the dealer ... That's the most likely cause from my experience, one or two faulty glow plugs could cause similar symptoms but you would get a fault code logged sooner or later for that. Good luck.. 👍
Old Feb 14th, 2023, 09:29   #5
pphilpot
Premier Member

Quote:
I have a feeling it hasn't seen a volvo dealer about this problem and that someone has assumed it is the injectors and thrown some perfectly good injectors out and fitted some cheap ones and given up and passed it onto you.

This problem was cleared up around 2015 with a software update which added more effective self calibrating routines. Your dealer will have the relevant Technical Journal on this problem cold start and smoke and rough running. especially in colder weather. No one has better info than the dealer ... That's the most likely cause from my experience, one or two faulty glow plugs could cause similar symptoms but you would get a fault code logged sooner or later for that. Good luck.. 👍
Thanks again Clan for your input. I phoned my nearest dealer yesterday, and the service dept secretary said that she would get back to me after speaking with a technician. I may have to call again I guess
Old Feb 14th, 2023, 11:18   #6
pphilpot
Premier Member

Quote:

So my local dealer says that there isn't an update available for my car, and that updates are only performed at services.

I phoned another dealer further away, and they said that there ARE updates available for my car, and one of them is for an ECM Diesel Update. The technician on the phone thinks it's the one that you are referring to 👍 At £100 inc VAT plus a required Diag @ £90 inc VAT it's not eye watering I just hope that I see a difference from it when I find a time to book it in!

Thanks again, Clan
The Following User Says Thank You to pphilpot For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 14th, 2023, 11:49   #7
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
So my local dealer says that there isn't an update available for my car, and that updates are only performed at services.

I phoned another dealer further away, and they said that there ARE updates available for my car, and one of them is for an ECM Diesel Update. The technician on the phone thinks it's the one that you are referring to 👍 At £100 inc VAT plus a required Diag @ £90 inc VAT it's not eye watering I just hope that I see a difference from it when I find a time to book it in!

Thanks again, Clan
It is shocking the lack of knowledge in the dealers in recent years, you spoke to someone behind the desk who has only been there a couple of years probably, If they don't know they should ask someone who does know rather than make up things . Make sure they read and follow the technical journal rather than just do a software update, there may be a calibration road test required.. perhaps that is what the extra £90 is for. The car has been poorly serviced, you wouldn't be having this problem and forking out £200 if it had been.
Old Feb 13th, 2023, 20:09   #8
Lancee
Premier Member

Quote:

Paul
The recent purchase/injector change may be of some concern ? However:

I had similar on my (long ownership 240,000 miles) V70 D5, where it recently developed rough idle on starting, with an occasional cut out and re start necessary. All glow plugs were (Vida) tested good, no (Vida) errors logged.

Solution, try a dose of, specifically, Liqui Moly DIESEL PURGE. It cured the issue for me. In my experience this stuff works. I have used it before in my other diesel Volvos. Ideally change the fuel filter and fill the filter housing with the LM when refitting, then run the engine as per the instructions.

I know there is a "snake oil" association with a lot of additive products, but I know this stuff has worked for me. Of note I have no affiliation with the manufacturers.

I am not saying it will cure your problem, but for around £10.00 it might literally be worth a shot, and worse case I doubt you will be any worse off, other than the £10.00 !

Last edited by Lancee; Feb 13th, 2023 at 20:12.
Lancee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lancee For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 13th, 2023, 20:14   #9
pphilpot
Premier Member

Thanks Lancee. Seeing that I'm ging to give it a full service over the next few weeks, I see no reason why I shouldn't give this a go ;-)