Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Installation instructions or wiring diagram for towbar cable

Views : 2541

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 7th, 2019, 15:30   #11
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

I'm glad you have found your wiring information. Good.

If you use any method to disconnect the car high intensity rear lamps when towing, please keep that checked regularly. It can lead to the car's high intensity rear lights failing, probably as a hard to find fault, quite likely at MOT time.

Re the socket, I reckon rule one, get a good quality socket and rear gasket. Well worth the extra money. For example Durite. The better rear gaskets have a good lip overlap, about half an inch, up the side of the back of the socket. I sealed mine there with silicone sealant inside the overlap.

I took the seven core out of the rear of the socket via corrugated tube. It fits snugly in the tail of the rear gasket. You possibly might get some sealant in there. And passes through a good grommet through the car bodywork. Taking and protecting the wires further in to the car.

Take your choice about protectant inside the socket, and protectant of the connecting pins between socket and plug. Plus Gas works very well for me.

The screws and nuts holding the socket to the car are, mechanical. I use stainless screws and nuts, with some copper based grease. Just like any other fixing that is exposed to "road filth".

My car's towing electrics have survived well through foul vile weather.

Basically, any number of careful methods re the socket will serve you well. See other people's posts. Many opinions are available. But please get a good quality socket and gasket.

Good luck and enjoy.

Last edited by Stephen Edwin; Oct 7th, 2019 at 15:34.
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote