Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo 940 potential PCV issue

Views : 4453

Replies : 30

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 23rd, 2016, 21:26   #21
Delta66

The Italian tune-up is well within my mechanical abilities.
Delta66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24th, 2016, 09:50   #22
nawfalathifabdulla

After clean the pcv
Use good oil and change every 4k
nawfalathifabdulla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nawfalathifabdulla For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 31st, 2016, 22:01   #23
Marc87

This is something i need to do to my car. Am i better off getting rid of the pcv system and fitting a catch can setup??
Marc87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31st, 2016, 22:29   #24
Delta66

So far I have not had any issues since I cleaned the pipe from the air filer and the y piece it goes into. That is easy to do, so try that first.
Delta66 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Delta66 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 1st, 2016, 10:10   #25
barkster1971
VOC Member

Default engine

That's not a 940 engine though. is it a b230fk or na engine that has the issue?
Old Sep 5th, 2019, 18:37   #26
Ian21401
Premier Member

Default PCV & Flame Trap. Resurrection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
I did mine on my last 740 and relocated the "valve" - they roughly "Y" shaped bit with a thick leg and wo smaller bore hoses the other end. I moved it up from sitting on the oil separator on the block to just above the inlet manifold and with the cleaning etc and new hoses, relocation it improved matters no end.

Well worth doing it yourself and as others have said, very satisfying when you reap the rewards.

Also make sure your engine oil and filter is changed regualrly as that helps a lot too.
Dave,
940, B200F, non turbo.
I’ve just cleaned the PCV system whilst I had the throttle body and idle air control valve off for cleaning and I’m interested in re-locating the flame trap as you did, however,
When you elevated the flame trap what spec. hose did you use to connect it to the oil separator?
The OE hose is still available but it is only 78 mms long. Although it is the same ID at each end.
Also, how did you extend the breather hose (from the flame trap to the air intake trunking)?
This hose is also still available but it has a preformed 90degree bend and is a larger ID at the flame trap end than the remaining length of the hose and it will not be long enough to connect to the dedicated connection on the air intake trucking.

Thanks, Ian.

Last edited by Ian21401; Sep 5th, 2019 at 18:43. Reason: Add text.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 5th, 2019, 19:06   #27
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian21401 View Post
Dave,
940, B200F, non turbo.
I’ve just cleaned the PCV system whilst I had the throttle body and idle air control valve off for cleaning and I’m interested in re-locating the flame trap as you did, however,
When you elevated the flame trap what spec. hose did you use to connect it to the oil separator?
The OE hose is still available but it is only 78 mms long. Although it is the same ID at each end.
Also, how did you extend the breather hose (from the flame trap to the air intake trunking)?
This hose is also still available but it has a preformed 90degree bend and is a larger ID at the flame trap end than the remaining length of the hose and it will not be long enough to connect to the dedicated connection on the air intake trucking.

Thanks, Ian.
The short, honest answer Ian is i can't remember! I think i used a bit of heater hose to "lift" the flame trap and a joiner and some hose of the right size for any other bits. Got a feeling the hose from the flame trap to the air filter actually needed shortening on mine as i had a B230E (K-Jetronic so a bit different to yours) but looking back to page 1 of this thread where i posted one of the pics (near the bottom of the page) it seems i used a bit of clear PCV hose stuffed into the ends of that hose after cutting it in half so i could use any bit of hose and have the right ends - if that makes sense!

There's not a great pressure or temperature in it so any basic hose will do the job as long as it holds up to normal engine bay temperatures.

If memory serves the hose between the flame trap and oil separator on the block is 15mm bore so you could even use a bit of domestic 15mm copper piping to extend it with a Jubilee clip on the hose to ensure no leaks.

It's amazing how much cleaner the flame trap stays and if memory serves, i'm sure PFV used to sell a conversion kit at one time. Obviously neater than my cobbled together method (which was done to test the theory and never "finished") but served exactly the same function.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 5th, 2019, 20:58   #28
griston64
Premier Member

I have some of the hose that goes into the oil separator box if its of any use ?
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 5th, 2019, 21:05   #29
griston64
Premier Member

This hose

Capture.jpg
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 6th, 2019, 09:34   #30
Ian21401
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by griston64 View Post
Thanks. It’s no.5 in the diagram. I’ll come back to you if I have a problem.

Ian.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post: