Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New To Group Volvo 760 Turbo Intercooler 1986

Views : 2213

Replies : 50

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 11th, 2019, 20:10   #11
Volvo760AF

New dizzy cap installed anyway.

I am a total newbie.

Any help and the advice is appreciated!

For above post, yes a new V90 R Design Lovely too but the mrs can drive that most of the time !
Volvo760AF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Volvo760AF For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 11th, 2019, 20:40   #12
Volvo760AF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
The dizzy cap won't be a problem on that one, it's a block mounted jobby and it should have the B230ET K-Jetronic turbo engine, very, very early beast indeed!

Good point about the spaceship bushes and PCV system too
Is this for sure as I could do with noting the engine type ? As I said, I'm a newbie.
Old Aug 11th, 2019, 20:52   #13
Aubergine S70

Hi, great to see one with such low mileage especially only one owner.
With experience owning my 1987 760 turbo is that they’re pretty reliable as long as the oil and filter are changed regularly. Another point is to check the exhaust manifold studs as one of mine snapped inside the head, I’m not sure if this is true but on a few other forums they become loose and whilst under boost they move and can weaken the studs, again don’t know if this is completely true. Apart from that the B230ET lump is strong and very easy to maintain.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 96F97085-FCF8-4335-883E-C09116E0F5B1.jpg (124.6 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg E96177F4-9B95-4D29-BA21-E503D761C2DE.jpg (134.4 KB, 14 views)
Aubergine S70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11th, 2019, 20:52   #14
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvo760AF View Post
Is this for sure as I could do with noting the engine type ? As I said, I'm a newbie.
The best way to confirm what i suspect and what you need to know is to lift the bonnet. The engine type should be on a label on the timing cover.

If it's missing for whatever reason, a few engine bay pics should confirm it.

If it is a B23ET as i suspect then you will get people telling you no such animal exists, simply because it was rare and later replaced by the B230ET which is much better known.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 11th, 2019, 20:56   #15
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubergine S70 View Post
Apart from that the B230ET lump is strong and very easy to maintain.
Is that a block mounted dizzy on yours too?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Aug 11th, 2019, 23:21   #16
Volvo760AF

Thanks all

I'll get some pics of the bay when I get it back.

Mechanic is trying to source gearbox oil cooling pipes that go into radiator as he has fitted new belts but the pipes needed replacing.

Waiting to hear off I'm, but if anyone knows a source or fix for these pipes that'd be great.

Thanks again for the help.
Old Aug 11th, 2019, 23:37   #17
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvo760AF View Post
Thanks all

I'll get some pics of the bay when I get it back.

Mechanic is trying to source gearbox oil cooling pipes that go into radiator as he has fitted new belts but the pipes needed replacing.

Waiting to hear off I'm, but if anyone knows a source or fix for these pipes that'd be great.

Thanks again for the help.
Pirtek will make pipes up on site. Alternatively if your mechanica has a brake pipe flaring kit to put a swage on the end of the pipes (optional as there's very little pressure in the cooling side of the ATF circuit, it simply returns to tank) just cut out the corroded section of the cooler flow and return pipes and replace with fuel hose, think it's 8mm bore but i'd have to check.
Even without the swage on the pipes, decent fuel hose held on with decent Jubilee clips won't come undone or leak, as i said, there's very little pressure in the coling/return section.

What ATF has he used in the box?

Old Aug 12th, 2019, 06:43   #18
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Being 1986 I think it will be a B230ET with Motronic 1.0 Dave they changed to the low friction b200/b230 in 85 I think. It will have skinny 9mm rods and no oil squirters in the block but it has the 531 head and Garrett T3 turbo. I have broke 2 of these... much regret now for the 2nd one but I wanted the engine for my 360 and I was only 17. I was 15 or 16 when the first one got broken.

The bottom end on these is the weakest turbo bottom end possible and I know Dai's brother sent a rod through the block in a standard B230ET. I will be swapping 13mm rods in to mine when it goes in to my 360. However I don't believe from the introduction that this car will be abused at all so no need to worry about it just keep on top of servicing.

Only use a genuine Volvo oil filter as it has a non return valve to reduce engine wear on start-up.
360beast is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 12th, 2019, 07:53   #19
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

It may well be an early B230ET Luke and not the B23ET, all depends on when exactly Volvo made the change and how long the car was hanging around before 1/1/86 which is what the MoT history shows as the date of registration.

The rest is speculation until the OP either shows us some underbonnet photos or finds the engine code on the timing belt cover.

Old Aug 12th, 2019, 12:12   #20
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post

If it is a B23ET as i suspect then you will get people telling you no such animal exists, simply because it was rare and later replaced by the B230ET which is much better known.
Back in the early 1990s I acquired a 760 Turbo with a B23ET for nothing as it struggled to start and ran like a lawnmower.

There was zero compression on Number 1 cylinder and pulling the head revealed a hole the size of a 2pence piece in the piston crown, probably the result of running the car on unleaded instead of 4-star petrol.

The local main dealer(!) denied the existence of the 760 Turbo, claiming it was a 740 Turbo, even though the VIN identified it as a 760.

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post: