Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Nightmare with radio in our XC90

Views : 70144

Replies : 65

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 11th, 2010, 12:46   #31
pdrvolvo
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexlouislisa View Post
For anyone interested,
I was told by my volvo main dealer that the ICM was faulty and needed replacing at a cost of........£850>>>>>aaagh
Bought one from a salvage yard,fitted it and it works perfectly,no coding ,no software download,
Personally think that main dealers mislead people on purpose.
PS unit from salvage yard was £100
Hope this helps anyone
ICM unit can affect certain dash functions,in my case the dashboard itself suffered intermittent power loss,no speedo etc.
not suer how volvo justify £850 for a part that must cost them nowhere near this,and is easy to fit.
well done that man.justice will always triumph over evil.lol.

peter.
Old Mar 11th, 2010, 17:19   #32
Clan
Experienced Member

The only problem is next time you have a software download , the foreign module wont be recognised and the whole car could shut down and costa fortune to wake up again .. so stay well away from any software work , that includes key programming ..
Old Mar 12th, 2010, 01:47   #33
GSMGuy
Master Member

Beat me to it there Clan....

Mike
GSMGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2010, 18:13   #34
Phil Longford

Default ICM failure

The car is back, and due to go back to the dealers to have a new ICM fitted when it arrives. The symptoms are really strange and not always the same. Generally, the controls on the dashboard do not work (apart from volume knob), but the ones on the steering wheel do work, and, when CD reaches the end, it will change to next CD. Park assist still works, but I do not think it is turning down the stereo like it used to. From time to time, the CD goes mental, and skips all over the place. As it does occasionally seem to function almost normally, I am reluctant to spend nearly a grand having it fixed! I have noted Clan's remarks about future software issues, so I'm reluctant to play around with the system, or change it for a non-standard unit, although you can get a lot of kit for £1,000!
Phil Longford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2010, 14:22   #35
stevieb_143

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy dougan View Post
The reason I know is because I had it done on my xc90 last week,
software part nr: 8696093, cost 10.76 + labour.

I can let you know which dealer if you like, they were very helpful.
Paddy
I know this is an old thread but Paddy do you know the dealer that you had this softwre applied to your volvo as my local dealer is refusing to apply this..

Thanks

steve
stevieb_143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2010, 01:50   #36
GSMGuy
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieb_143 View Post
I know this is an old thread but Paddy do you know the dealer that you had this softwre applied to your volvo as my local dealer is refusing to apply this..

Thanks

steve
Sorry to burst your bubble, but I really think you are wasting your time and money with this - The units are designed NOT to be interchangeable, and thats why the dealers will not recode them - Just had a peek at my invoice for ICM replacement, and the software cost was £34 with labour to "reload" charged at £80, both plus VAT and in Nov 2007..

So I don't see where Paddy gets his figures from..

Incidentally, the cost of the replacement ICM fitted to my car in Nov 2007 was £779+ vat for the part alone, part no V30732644

Mike
GSMGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2010, 16:00   #37
stevieb_143

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMGuy View Post
Sorry to burst your bubble, but I really think you are wasting your time and money with this - The units are designed NOT to be interchangeable, and thats why the dealers will not recode them - Just had a peek at my invoice for ICM replacement, and the software cost was £34 with labour to "reload" charged at £80, both plus VAT and in Nov 2007..

So I don't see where Paddy gets his figures from..

Incidentally, the cost of the replacement ICM fitted to my car in Nov 2007 was £779+ vat for the part alone, part no V30732644

Mike
I just want the ICM removed from the car so i can install a normal radio.. So i can trade it in with a working stereo and no faults

To be honest i have had the car for 18 months and it has been the worst car i have owned for problems..

I had a 500 banger when i was 18 and that gave me no problems at all.. But spend Thousands on a car and so far it has cost £7000 in repairs. Thankfully the warranty covered it!

I can not wait to get shot of the car, and will never buy a volvo again!
stevieb_143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13th, 2010, 21:59   #38
nigelrushby

Default Music System & Parking Sensors not Working

Have read through all of the problems and advice offered for these problems.
If the only alternative is a new ICM unit would it be feasible/possible to install something to completely replace both the radio/cd player and the parking sensors at a cheaper cost.
To be honest I might just forget the reverse sensors if they are too much and just replace the radio/cd player.
Does anyone know if I can by-pass the ICM unit and operate a new music system using the same buttons/controls for the cd & radio.
Alternatively can anyone provide the name and number of a person/mechanic/dealer who I can speak to about resolving this issue.
There must be someone who won't charge me an arm and a leg just to diagnose the fault, let alone fix it.
If you have any information that can help me please contact me directly on nigelrushby@hotmail.com
regards
Nigel
nigelrushby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th, 2010, 13:04   #39
Gue4

Unhappy XC90 stereo problems

I was driving around quite happily on Sunday listening to an AM radio station when the display on the stereo went haywire:

- instead of the actual station frequency it showed "88.0" irrespective of band or frequency selected
- on the FM band, "88.0" is shown for all frequencies; and instead of the RDS supplied station name I always get "á_TZ" and no radio text at all

The good news so far is:
- I can turn the stereo on and off as normal; and I do get radio reception
- the steering wheel controls still work
- the knobs and buttons on the unit all appear to work, including the setup menus, etc
- I can select presets on the radio and it will tune to the required station; and the preset number is shown at the top right of the display
- CD changer works and all the display items are as they should be when a CD is playing. So clearly the display itself is fine
- the rear park assist continues to function

I parked the car, turned off the engine and waited a minute; then restarted the car, hoping a reset might fix the problem, but no such luck. The problem persists.

The problem I'm seeing is quite minor compared to other examples reported on this thread and elsewhere. Frankly, if it stays as it is I could live with it - although it's annoying. But my questions are:

- Has anyone else seen these same symptoms
- Is this just the start of a degenerative ICM - will other problems start to occur [e.g. stereo not turning on/off, park assist fails, ...]
- Could removing and refitting the stereo fuse help reset the problem?
- does anyone know of a fix that doesn't involve my Volvo dealer relieving me of £1000 or so for a new ICM
- if the only solution is a new ICM, and given so many people are reporting this issue, will Volvo do anything to contribute towards the cost as a goodwill measure

For info, my car is a XC90 D5 SE, registered Mar 2006 [with the later engine] and has done about 65K miles.
Gue4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2010, 06:53   #40
Gixxer Rolle

Here can you find used parts.

http://en.bildelsbasen.se/?link=sear...e=1&vc1=204&vc

Last edited by Gixxer Rolle; Jul 2nd, 2010 at 06:56.
Gixxer Rolle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gixxer Rolle For This Useful Post: