Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General > 850/x70 S1 Wants

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

850 T5 Estate Wanted

Views : 2153

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 8th, 2019, 16:16   #1
Benjybh

Default 850 T5 Estate Wanted

I’m dearly missing my old green 855 T5 (currently SORNed by its new owner and I don’t know how to get hold of them to buy it back ) and need another one in my life.

What have you got?

Cheers
Benjybh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19th, 2019, 23:32   #2
Ropes64

Hi Benjybh,
If your still interested, I have a 1996 Volvo 850 T5, it’s had one owner before myself, has 87000 miles on clock, full service history, ( recently had major service in November 2019) has had timing belts, changed twice in over its lifetime, last one changed in November 2018. Lovely car, lovely condition, only selling as I’ve purchased a new car today. Car is near Edinburgh. Regards David.
Ropes64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th, 2019, 00:04   #3
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ropes64 View Post
Hi Benjybh,
If your still interested, I have a 1996 Volvo 850 T5, it’s had one owner before myself, has 87000 miles on clock, full service history, ( recently had major service in November 2019) has had timing belts, changed twice in over its lifetime, last one changed in November 2018. Lovely car, lovely condition, only selling as I’ve purchased a new car today. Car is near Edinburgh. Regards David.
If it's too far away for OP I'm in Glasgow and could be interested ( 2nd dibs )

Cheers Mark
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th, 2019, 22:18   #4
Ropes64

Hi Mark,
No problem, my car has not been advertised yet, for info it was MOT’d in November when it had its major service at Voltech. It also had a new batteryfitted with a 5 year warranty, two weeks ago. Regards David
Old Dec 20th, 2019, 22:36   #5
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Hi Mark,
No problem, my car has not been advertised yet, for info it was MOT’d in November when it had its major service at Voltech. It also had a new batteryfitted with a 5 year warranty, two weeks ago. Regards David
That's interesting as my office is about 200 yds from Voltech and I drive/cycle past it everyday.

I'll pm you my mobile to arrange a view if that's ok ?

Regards

Mark
Old Dec 20th, 2019, 22:54   #6
Ropes64

No worries Mark.
Old Dec 20th, 2019, 23:02   #7
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
No worries Mark.
PM Sent

Cheers
Old Dec 22nd, 2019, 00:21   #8
taiwan740

I've got an 850 T5 estate, it's a bit scruffy and unloved. I haven't had it that long and could be convinced to part with it as its car number 3 and number 2 (965) is still in storage. Shouldn't have bought it really, but it is pretty fun to drive and have fancied the iconic 850 T5 for a while. If I didn't have the emotional baggage with my other two estates, then I'd probably keep this one and get rid of my 940, not gonna happen though.

It's got 12 months MOT, a slight coolant leak, a gentle exhaust leak (not enough to concern MOTer) and a boost leak at full throttle. Drives fine and accelerates ok even at high throttle, but if you absolutely pin it then it hesitates. Also needs a wheel alignment.

I'm owner number 8 I think, and it's a Cat C salvage, although this accident/repair was some time ago I think. Has 174,500 miles on the clock but
alas the cog has broken and has been for a while, so I'd guess about 190,000 at this point.

Realise the description doesn't exactly paint the Mona Lisa, but it is what it is. I'm not too fussed about the cosmetics so it might just sit until the weather improves and I'll fix the above, as its far from concourse and people seem to like that kind of thing.

I'm based in Milton Keynes.
taiwan740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2020, 10:24   #9
GeorgeT5

Quote:
Originally Posted by taiwan740 View Post
I've got an 850 T5 estate, it's a bit scruffy and unloved. I haven't had it that long and could be convinced to part with it as its car number 3 and number 2 (965) is still in storage. Shouldn't have bought it really, but it is pretty fun to drive and have fancied the iconic 850 T5 for a while. If I didn't have the emotional baggage with my other two estates, then I'd probably keep this one and get rid of my 940, not gonna happen though.

It's got 12 months MOT, a slight coolant leak, a gentle exhaust leak (not enough to concern MOTer) and a boost leak at full throttle. Drives fine and accelerates ok even at high throttle, but if you absolutely pin it then it hesitates. Also needs a wheel alignment.

I'm owner number 8 I think, and it's a Cat C salvage, although this accident/repair was some time ago I think. Has 174,500 miles on the clock but
alas the cog has broken and has been for a while, so I'd guess about 190,000 at this point.

Realise the description doesn't exactly paint the Mona Lisa, but it is what it is. I'm not too fussed about the cosmetics so it might just sit until the weather improves and I'll fix the above, as its far from concourse and people seem to like that kind of thing.

I'm based in Milton Keynes.
Hello, may I ask how much you'd be looking for please? is it an auto or manual?
GeorgeT5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2020, 23:31   #10
taiwan740

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeT5 View Post
Hello, may I ask how much you'd be looking for please? is it an auto or manual?
Sorry for delay in response. I'm treating it as a project for now but I'd let it go for around £750-800. I'd be very interesting in swapping it for something like a 740, 940, 960, V50, S60, V70, XC70 etc.

An overly honest and probably pessimistic description :

It's an automatic, the gearbox is tight and shifts well, best auto gearbox I've ever had.

The coolant leak is now fixed, or at least substantially reduced. The boost leak is more or less fixed as well, but a small pipe for the boost actuator keeps blowing. Alignment has been sorted, but there's still quite a lot of slack in the steering which makes it jump around a bit. It also pulls to the right due to a sticking handbrake shoe on the right hand rear wheel. Exhaust backbox will need replacing for the next MOT.

The engine runs great and still picks up speed pretty well, but it starts stuttering and running too rich with full throttle and you need to back off. It's just had new spark plugs and I replaced one of the boost pipes which had also cracked. Got some service history from the previous owners (I'm number 7 I believe) New brake discs and pads on the front, the drums on the rear are new, but as explained above, handbrake needs some attention as it is dragging.

It is a Cat C salvage car and the mileage cog has not worked for some time, I would estimate 190,000 on the engine at this point.

Once I work out how to do it, I'll send you some pics/video and see what you think. It's a bit scruffy with some mismatching paint repairs, can't see any rust on the body and the underneath (save the exhaust) looks ok too.

Even if you decide you can't be arsed with this lot, I'd appreciate your opinion on it. It probably sounds like a basketcase but not sure if that's par for the course with the 850s these days or not.
taiwan740 is offline   Reply With Quote