Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Re-fitting the Windscreen Trim on a 244

Views : 397

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 6th, 2020, 15:14   #1
Othen
Premier Member

Default Re-fitting the Windscreen Trim on a 244

Some advice if a may: the 1980 244 saloon I acquired yesterday has the nice chrome trim for the windscreen, the problem is it is on the back seat and otherwise not attached to the car.

It is in good condition and the PO told I would just need some clips to re-fit it. I wonder, are these the clips he was talking of:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121110544328

Here is a photo of the windscreen trim:

Alan
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7th, 2020, 20:39   #2
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

Default Windscreen Seal:~

Alan I may be wrong on this so ignore if so: ~ looking at your previous mail & pictures the windscreen seems to be fitted with a replacement wider rubber seal (I believe a recognised modification- see other mail details) if it is then you may not be able to fit the trim with a chrome insert- if the new rubber is just a surface seal then you may be able to change over with the addition of the clips??
Good Luck with the car- Bob.
Bob Meadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7th, 2020, 20:58   #3
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Meadows View Post
Alan I may be wrong on this so ignore if so: ~ looking at your previous mail & pictures the windscreen seems to be fitted with a replacement wider rubber seal (I believe a recognised modification- see other mail details) if it is then you may not be able to fit the trim with a chrome insert- if the new rubber is just a surface seal then you may be able to change over with the addition of the clips??
Good Luck with the car- Bob.
Thanks Bob,

I had a feeling that might be the case as I couldn't see how some clips would hold the chrome strip onto a broad rubber surface. I think you are probably right - which is a little bit of a pity because it would have been nice to have the 244 looking more or less original, but that being said the more modern seal looks smart as well. I suppose what I should do is offer up the chrome trim in case anyone needs it for a very original car.

I'm glad I asked the question - I have dozens of similar questions that aren't covered in the technical manual - that is the value of a web site like this.

I'm enjoying the 244 - both fixing it and driving it - the car steers like the Royal Barge, but is so cool that my Porsche Boxster has not been out of the garage since I bought it :-)

Best wishes,

Alan
Old Feb 7th, 2020, 21:27   #4
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

Ok Alan:~ one on ebay at present https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-240...cAAOSw9GhYeNAh they seem to go for about this price but postage is doubtful?

I would hang on to it as you never know with windscreens & stones.
The car looks good-- Regards Bob
Bob Meadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8th, 2020, 07:00   #5
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Meadows View Post
Ok Alan:~ one on ebay at present https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-240...cAAOSw9GhYeNAh they seem to go for about this price but postage is doubtful?

I would hang on to it as you never know with windscreens & stones.
The car looks good-- Regards Bob
Thank you for that Bob. I think you are right about the windscreen surround - it won't eat anything stored in the garage roof space. I'm guessing the car has had a new windscreen sometime (quite likely in 40 years), which looks just fine.

The car came with a bunch of assorted spares:

I'll sort through them over the next few days.

Alan