Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Anyone know this car...?

Views : 1364

Replies : 28

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 19th, 2019, 16:32   #21
StatusRed
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by St Evelyn View Post
We only had the keys for about a minute before realising that we'd had a wasted journey and, upon heading back to the salesman got asked "no good?". I advised "not for us, sorry mate" and got met with a tirade of swearing and abuse about how I'd assumed FSH when they hadn't stated it in the advert. Tried to have a sensible conversation with him but he was so obnoxious we walked away as soon as Josh got his refund.

On the plus side, at least we know that buying a car from this clown isn't something that we'll ever be doing.
Wow, what is wrong with people?!

Previous: C70 Coupe 2.4i | Saab 9-5 Aero | Daihatsu SporTrak
StatusRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2019, 16:53   #22
St Evelyn
VOC Member

Indeed, I can't get my head around it - there was clearly a guilty conscience at play; never mind though, a lucky escape.

On a separate note, taking on board the feedback received around buying a petrol rather than diesel C30, what's everyone's view of the T5? I'm guessing it'll be a thirsty beast, but is it a reliable and robust unit? Do the smiles per gallon make up for the miles per gallon? Seen an advert for one with 140K on the clock (definitely FVSH this time, albeit the last one was 18months ago when she was on 117K, prior to that every year on the nose) - is this too many miles or not a problem for these engines? Cambelt done at 93K. Are there any particular things to worry about or look out for on these engines?

Current - 2017 V90 D4 Inscription
Previous - 2011 S80 D3
St Evelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to St Evelyn For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 20th, 2019, 18:17   #23
FunkyMelon
Master Member

The T5 is a cracker, very linear power curve so feels a bit like a diesel due to the torque, turbo is always ready to go.

Generally they're pretty solid, however the PCV system (oil breather housing) is a known fault on them and will go at some point.

Always fit gen Volvo spark plugs, they're fussy engines.

Always warm up before driving them hard, split liners can/do happen on this model due the to increased bore from the older 2.3T. Not hugely common, but can happen...

Yes, they are thirsty, I do 12 miles a day, mixed motorway/city driving and average 24-26mpg, on a run however it'll do high 30's/close to 40mpg all day without much trouble.

TCV (turbo control valve) is pretty much a consumable, around £40, if it's feeling sluggish this is likely the problem, failing that the fuel pressure regulator can also cause this.

Tax is a rip off at over £300 and it gets through tyres pretty quick.

Tthe engine sounds fantastic but Volvo fitted pea shooters for an exhaust....A JT tuning/Ferrita system makes them sound incredible - By far one of the best sounding 5 pots around!

Other than that they're pretty solid cars.
Old Jan 20th, 2019, 20:39   #24
St Evelyn
VOC Member

That's really useful, thanks FunkyMelon.

Josh emailed the guy that was selling the T5 on autotrader but turns out it's now sold - gutted as it was an awesome spec and looked like a bargain - probably why it's sold already.

Here's the link - I know it's already gone, but if anyone can see any downsides (apart from the last service) that I've missed I'd be keen to hear, hopefully it'll give me something else to be mindful of next time around.

Current - 2017 V90 D4 Inscription
Previous - 2011 S80 D3
St Evelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2019, 20:41   #25
steadvex
Master Member

I imagine piston heads is more likely to have a good T5 advertised, might be worth checking it out
steadvex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steadvex For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 20th, 2019, 21:21   #26
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

Don't forget the Focus ST as well. Worth a look.
The Following User Says Thank You to T5R92011 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 21st, 2019, 08:02   #27
FunkyMelon
Master Member

Other than higher mileage that looked like a good one to be honest.

Focus ST's are nice and 80% the same car but for the same car, age and mileage a T5 will be half what the focus ST will be to buy.

The insurance is also quite a bit higher on the ST due to the ST badge and lots of people modifying them. High on the list of accidents and higher on the list of thefts.

The Volvo is a sleeper, a nicer place to be inside and will have significantly more toys, almost all of the go faster ST bits are a direct bolt on too
Old Jan 21st, 2019, 08:48   #28
domhart10
Volvo S40

With a T5 again you need to make sure you pick up a good example, one that has not been run on a budget meeting all its services / oil changes.

again the similar things to watch out for are the air conditioning system, make sure its cold as it could be condenser or worse a compressor issue.

Some of the problems I have had with my T5

Turbo - Previous owner didnt meet oil changes schedual and soon after I bought it the turbo went, but it was under warranty so dealer replaced it without a problem.

That is the only real big thing that has gone wrong so far with the car, I bought it 3.5 years ago now on 45k or 42k cant remember exactly and it is now on 129k soon to tick over to 130k and still running very well.

Small things to look out for. If the car is on budget tires walk away, bad sign that it has been run to a budget ... cheeping out on tires is the worst on these cars. Mine had budgets on when I bought it and the wheels would spin leaving junctions, I now have Pilot Sport 4's all round and have 0 wheel spin.

Generally I changed all things that were brought up in these forums as a common fault right away so I have not had any of those problems and the car is serving very well but I still havent done the PCV change so that is an urgent next to fix as I have only just heard about them being a weakness.

With the T5's they are a lot more rare, so I actually bought mine before even seeing it as I wanted to snap it up before it disappeared. You can hold out for a good example or keep an eye on the Focus ST section, at this point there seems to be a major shift and quite a lot of them for sale cheap or breaking as the value has dropped.

Oh yes these engines are prone to a crack liner so any example that has had a block mod done etc might be a benefit.

Previous Volvo: 2008 S40 SE Lux R Design 2.0D
domhart10 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to domhart10 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 24th, 2019, 15:56   #29
alexstanleyv50

Quote:
Originally Posted by domhart10 View Post
Check alternator right away and battery for that age, when these go ... they go out in a spectaculor display of flashing lights and if you are on the road it is incredibly dangerous.
Its like Blackpool Illuminations....

T5's are worth holding out for. Mine was being sold by an independent dealer, and when I took it for a spin he said, in an astonished sort of way "it goes like and ST!"... they are so under-rated.

If you can you would be well worth holding out for a 6 speed manual too.

2004 V50 T5 SE 6 Speed Manual The Death Star...
2009 S40 2.0i R-Design 5 Speed Manual The Flash Car...

Last edited by alexstanleyv50; Jan 24th, 2019 at 16:00.
alexstanleyv50 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to alexstanleyv50 For This Useful Post: