Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

High oil level warning

Views : 16402

Replies : 48

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 16th, 2019, 22:44   #1
taylora

Default High oil level warning

Got an oil level warning tonight for being too high rather than low. My car was serviced in November 3k miles ago. I recall at the time I checked the oil level just after the service and it was showing about 90%. When I check now it's saying oil overfilled.

I hope this is not diesel dilution caused by the DPF regeneration - my car does not use Ad Blue. Had that once before on a C30 2.0D which was a result of a DPF pressure sensor fault.

Oh well, better call the dealer in the morning. Anyone else heard of it on their car?
Old Jan 16th, 2019, 23:28   #2
Dibble
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylora View Post
Got an oil level warning tonight for being too high rather than low. My car was serviced in November 3k miles ago. I recall at the time I checked the oil level just after the service and it was showing about 90%. When I check now it's saying oil overfilled.

I hope this is not diesel dilution caused by the DPF regeneration - my car does not use Ad Blue. Had that once before on a C30 2.0D which was a result of a DPF pressure sensor fault.

Oh well, better call the dealer in the morning. Anyone else heard of it on their car?
Yes, it has been discussed on here but not for some time. Perhaps you will find some info on here but I'm sure some guys who know about it will let you know.
I have a sticker on my D5, S80 which tells you how much oil to put in but I'm also aware that somehow diesel gets into the sump.
Dibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2019, 23:31   #3
taylora

I did search for high oil level but nothing much came up that looked relevant.
Old Jan 21st, 2019, 09:38   #4
taylora

In case anyone else gets this problem it was indeed caused by diesel dilution of the engine oil caused by DPF regeneration, hence the level going up.

The receptionist says they did change the engine oil, however the job sheet says they drained one qtr litre and no mention of oil. The two don't add up, I'll need to check for myself.
Old Jan 21st, 2019, 09:51   #5
LordLucan

I wonder how the DPF regen cycle leads to diluted engine oil. Surely that isnt going to be good for the engine.
Old Jan 21st, 2019, 10:00   #6
elotro

I had a smilar problem in a Ford Focus but mine caused by a faulty DPF. Aparently, when it has to do the regenration, it injects some diesel to the DFP to do so. Mine wasn´t working but the car keept injecting more diesel to the DFP up to a point it was full and instead of going to the DFP it was falling into the oil tank. Or at least that is what they told me, I know near to nothing about how it works to be honest.
elotro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2019, 10:47   #7
nu11eaf
Premier Member

An article about DPF regeneration, there is some confusion about how diesel gets into the sump oil and this will explain it, I was also confused when people refer to diesel being injected into the DPF as this is in the exhaust system and would get burnt and blown out with the exhaust.
This article explains it better, the diesel is injected into the combustion chamber after the combution stroke which then emits it via the exhaust stroke to the DPF, this can allow diesel past the piston rings and to run down the bores and into the sump.

https://www.autoguru.com.au/car-advi...lter-explained
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2019, 11:20   #8
Quacker
Premier Member

Volvo has a very close coupled DPF that is very efficient, because little heat is lost between the turbo's and it. Therefore most regenerations are probably passive and don't require much fuel to start a regen. I suspect because it is so efficient that they get away with just injecting some extra fuel in late combustion to the cylinder in order to raise the exhaust temperature. Some brands with more remote DPF use an extra fuel injector in front of it to inject fuel directly to ignite in front of the DPF, but that is not needed on the Volvo design.

The problems with fuel dilution occur when the DPF cannot attain sufficient temperature to regenerate. Not even enough with the supplementary fuel through the engine. What happens then is that the system makes multiple unsuccessful attempts and the fuel runs down the cylinder walls and past the piston rings into the sump.

There may be a couple of reasons why the system will not work as it should. First is that the car is not driven for sufficient distances and/or worked hard enough. It would help if the car was driven some 20 miles minimum at least once every 100 miles or so and particularly at a reasonable speed and load. Using Sport mode might help here. In general, lightly driven cars with automatic transmission [which keeps revs very low] which potter around on short and urban journeys are very prone to this. Diesel engines are not recommended for pottering around doing short journeys.

Secondly there may be a mechanical problem such as a leaky injector nozzle. It is vital that such an issue is diagnosed and remedied quickly, before serious damage to the pistons and bearings is done.
Old Jan 21st, 2019, 12:13   #9
taylora

Most journeys are short, however I do go into the office twice a week, that's a 45 mile journey each way, pretty much all motorway at 70ish so they car does get a decent run twice weekly.
Old Jan 21st, 2019, 14:25   #10
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylora View Post
Most journeys are short, however I do go into the office twice a week, that's a 45 mile journey each way, pretty much all motorway at 70ish so they car does get a decent run twice weekly.
It really shouldn’t give any trouble in that case. Have your dealer check the injectors for dribbling