Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Re-mapping

Views : 2676

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 10th, 2015, 17:43   #1
Danielpsmith
Master Member

Default Re-mapping

Hi this post isn't directly linked with a Volvo so sorry if it upsets anyone I had a meeting at work last night on how to achieve better mpg from the fleet of trucks obviously it comes from the driver ultimately but they were asking for suggestions on how to improve it so I suggested re-mapping them for better mpg I was arguing this saying you don't have to map them for all out power so I am doubting myself now can you map a Diesel engine to get better mpg or won't it really work thanks a lot

Daniel
Danielpsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2015, 19:11   #2
kenny
Master Member

You are quite right, many national companies are having economy maps done to save fuel and cut emissions.
Strangely a performance map can also save some mpg, the explanation being you don't have to push a more powerful engine as much as a standard one.
kenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2015, 19:25   #3
Danielpsmith
Master Member

Thanks for the reply that is what I was saying but he was having none of it I was starting to think I was wrong thanks again
Old Mar 10th, 2015, 20:53   #4
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny View Post
You are quite right, many national companies are having economy maps done to save fuel and cut emissions.
Strangely a performance map can also save some mpg, the explanation being you don't have to push a more powerful engine as much as a standard one.
Performance maps also increase the torque and that allows the use of a higher gear for the same rpm which cuts fuel consumption. 5% to 10% improvement is the quoted figure.
Old Mar 10th, 2015, 23:18   #5
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

I gather most Fire Engines are remapped as are many large fleets.
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2015, 13:17   #6
Shadeyman
VOC Member

A remap alone cannot increase MPG as there's only one way to increase engine power, burn more fuel.
If you burn more fuel you lower MPG.

So the only way to truely increase MPG is to drive appropriately using the extra torque a remap provides by selecting a higher gear when possible.
Shadeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2015, 14:45   #7
Danielpsmith
Master Member

Thanks for the replies had a look at some websites and they say 8-15% better mpg with more power and torque I thought they could be mapped to pull smoother with more power but better mpg I know they all come with generic maps half our trucks pour out black smoke under load which Is un burnt fuel so I thought you could map them properly to eliminate this a burn more efficiently thanks again for the replies
Old Mar 11th, 2015, 15:02   #8
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadeyman View Post
A remap alone cannot increase MPG as there's only one way to increase engine power, burn more fuel.

So the only way to truely increase MPG is to drive appropriately using the extra torque a remap provides by selecting a higher gear when possible.
It's the way in which the fuel is burned that makes the difference - cars leave the factory in a state of tune to meet the emissions regulations, and that's not just about CO2 it's nitrates and all sorts of other stuff too. To do that the car is programmed to burn a certain amount of fuel in a specific ratio with a certain amount air that will give the desired balance of low emissions of certain key pollutants. This is usually not the ratio that gives the best power/economy - in Petrol engines it usually means effectively running them slightly lean. Hence we have a strange situation where the lowest polluting engines aren't necessarily the most economical....

By adjusting the fuel/air ratio, on some cars it is possible to gain some improvement in combustion efficiency and hence power and MPG. There is also the factor of increasing the engine power at lower RPM by supplying more fuel and boost means that for the same power output the frictional losses in the engine/gearbox are lower and it is turning slower. A driver of a more powerful will shift lower and autoboxes will shift lower too as the shift points are calculated from engine speed, throttle position etc.

The difference to MPG though? Probably not even 10%.
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2015, 19:44   #9
Chesney46

A lot also depends on the age of the truck (I take it we're talking HGVs here?)
Anything after Euro 5 is not easy ,if not possible, to remap, due to emission regulations. I worked for a large distribution company and our trucks were dropped to 50 mph. The argument there was that a lower motorway cruising speed would help lower consumtion. The downside was that in the south east, you don't really spend enough time on a motorway to really gain any beneifts.
Old Mar 12th, 2015, 21:35   #10
Curly59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadeyman View Post

Spot on Shadey. Now driven 50k on shark remap. No obvious difference. Do shift up the gears early to use torque but this is countered by using the performance at other times and you really do want to use the performance!