Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1961 Volvo PV544 in Holland

Views : 83808

Replies : 750

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 19th, 2018, 15:24   #521
Army
marches on his stomach

Default Pictures of the original trim

As I said earlier I took some pictures of the original trim today

This stuff looks to me like stuff that was originally put on the vehicle by Volvo - the cutting isn't very DIY. I'm certain it has been on the vehicle since it was painted red in the 1980s - I'm guessing they reused the original factory trim
1992 Mercedes 190E The car that works!
Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19th, 2018, 16:06   #522
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

OK, so maybe I was being overly cautious...I just hate rust...anything I can do to prevent/delay it, I like, and anything that remotely promotes it, I'm against...its as simple as that!

Cheers
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th, 2018, 10:45   #523
Army
marches on his stomach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Kwas View Post
OK, so maybe I was being overly cautious...I just hate rust...anything I can do to prevent/delay it, I like, and anything that remotely promotes it, I'm against...its as simple as that!

Cheers
I don't think you're being overly cautious - just wait and see what I'll be doing to try and add in some level of water tightness to this system
Old Dec 20th, 2018, 10:53   #524
Army
marches on his stomach

Default The wiring begins...

...this might bring a bit of Christmas cheer - it might not.

I've never re-wired a whole car before so there's been a whole lot of procrastination going on.

For the reasons stated earlier in the thread I'm starting from scratch. I've decided to take things slow and start trial fitting wires where I think they need to go.

I'm planning to use the same colour coding that Volvo used but there will be additional wires in the loom for some modern extras. To help me along I've found a heat shrink labelling system that I hope is going to allow me to keep meaningful tabs on the slowly developing rats' nest...

...with any luck a label with "LH FRONT HL" on it will help jog my memory a bit more than a piece of 2.5mm^2 red wire (!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1961 Volvo pv544 custom wiring loom1.JPG (198.8 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg 1961 Volvo pv544 custom wiring loom2.JPG (190.3 KB, 59 views)
Old Dec 20th, 2018, 13:33   #525
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Army

Am I to take from this that you are using Heat-Shrink tubing to "add in some level of water tightness to this system"?

Ahem...I don't mean to rain on your good intent, but the sleeving used for harness doesn't need (and doesn't even want) to be, HS, because 1. HS shrinks (obviously!) when exposed to heat, but it gets unnecessarily hard (I suggest you get and use standard PVC electrical sleeving in various IDs, rated to UL 94V-0 [105Deg C], same as used in SW-EM Kits), and 2. along the length of harness is not where excluding moisture is important (wire insulation, if undamaged already does a good job at that...moisture exclusion is important at the ends and terminals, and crimps, where copper conductor is exposed and crimped into connectors, and if you have taken a look at any of my writings on electrical subjects on the SW-EM page, you will see that I highly recommend ACZP for this.

Combined with proper stripping, and use of that pro crimping tool to crimp quality connectors (see also: http://www.sw-em.com/Wiring%20Notes.htm#Wire_Strippers ), that will result in a quality, reliable harness, which will give troublefree service for a loooong time.

The label maker is a nice touch, but if you are going to keep the standard color code (very good practice!) I'd be happy with just a Wiring Diagram (modified to show any changes or additions), because this gives me a complete overlook...

Cheers!
Old Dec 20th, 2018, 15:01   #526
Army
marches on his stomach

Quote:
Army

Am I to take from this that you are using Heat-Shrink tubing to "add in some level of water tightness to this system"?

Nope not at all - the anti-water ingress steps are for the different previous subject - the silly vinyl trim between body and wings.

Thanks for the tips about wiring - I'll look into getting some Anti Corrosive Zinc Paste for the connections - I take it you think I should also use it before crimping on terminals as well as using it for screw / slide connectors?

The labelling system (different system!) is to help me and my short term and long term memory loss because I'm not at all accustomed to using wiring diagrams - in fact more often than not for modern cars in particular my head goes into overload panic mode when I see wiring diagrams for the first time - it takes a bit of time for me to calm the f down...

Test piece for the labelling shrink tube =>

^^^That's gonna be nice and neat and can be hidden under external wrap if I decide it looks too custom^^^

The labelling is 100% for my benefit because I am not at one with electrickery and I need the equivalent of a comfort blanket (!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1961 Volvo pv544 custom wiring loom3.JPG (146.8 KB, 60 views)
Old Dec 20th, 2018, 18:01   #527
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Army;

OK on anti-water ingress measures for body...

Use ACZP when crimping terminals onto wires! See: http://www.sw-em.com/Wiring%20Notes....a_Proper_Crimp

My "comfort blanket" is the fact that the entire wiring diagram for these cars fits on a single piece of paper!

Cheers
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron Kwas For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 20th, 2018, 20:06   #528
Army
marches on his stomach

Quote:
Army;

OK on anti-water ingress measures for body...

Use ACZP when crimping terminals onto wires! See: http://www.sw-em.com/Wiring%20Notes....a_Proper_Crimp

My "comfort blanket" is the fact that the entire wiring diagram for these cars fits on a single piece of paper!

Cheers
Oh I know the wiring on a PV can hardly be considered to be complicated these days but small steps - small steps (!)

As for finding that zinc oxide assembly paste - seems at the moment to be pretty much impossible on this side of the water. I have found a Permatex dielectric grease and more promisingly a carbon enriched MG chemicals assembly paste

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MG-Chemical...assembly+paste

Would either be of use?
Old Dec 20th, 2018, 21:11   #529
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Army;

Although often recommended, dielectric grease is most definitely not the preferred material as specifically explained here: http://www.sw-em.com/anti_corrosive_paste.htm

Eurosource for Penetrox A which Derek found and publicized a while back: http://www.bicon-uk.com/BICON-Compounds-and-Resins/ see BX1. I believe this is repackaged Burndy product with zinc (not zinc oxide!...that's what surfers put on their noses...so lets not mix these things up!). With some research, a Burndy OEM source can surely be found. Else contact me through e-mail directly, and I'll send you some!

As far as "carbon enriched MG chemicals assembly paste" I am not familiar with that product in elec service, but it sounds like an assembly lube...again, not what I'm calling for.

Cheers

Last edited by Ron Kwas; Dec 20th, 2018 at 21:14.
Old Dec 21st, 2018, 11:09   #530
Army
marches on his stomach

Quote:
Army;

Although often recommended, dielectric grease is most definitely not the preferred material as specifically explained here: http://www.sw-em.com/anti_corrosive_paste.htm

Eurosource for Penetrox A which Derek found and publicized a while back: http://www.bicon-uk.com/BICON-Compounds-and-Resins/ see BX1. I believe this is repackaged Burndy product with zinc (not zinc oxide!...that's what surfers put on their noses...so lets not mix these things up!). With some research, a Burndy OEM source can surely be found. Else contact me through e-mail directly, and I'll send you some!

As far as "carbon enriched MG chemicals assembly paste" I am not familiar with that product in elec service, but it sounds like an assembly lube...again, not what I'm calling for.

Cheers
Thanks Ron,

I've just banged out an email to Bicon - I'll see what they can do for me