Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Climate Control Issue

Views : 8440

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 4th, 2018, 11:45   #1
zapcity1

Default Climate Control Issue

Hi all, I have a problem with the climate control on my '09 XC70 D5.

When starting up, everything works as expected. The blowers push out hot air and the cabin gets up to temp (set at 21-23) in about 10 mins. All as expected.

When the cabin temp is reached, the vents on top of the dash start to pump out cold air (was hot). It appears that the cabin temp then reduces as it definately becomes colder. I can manually reduce the flow of cold air by turning the fan speed down to minimum and manually directing the air, but I still get a cold draft from the dash top vents enough to make it uncomfortabe.

I've run a VIDA diagnostic (I'm no expert in VIDA by the way!!) with the following result (see attachement): -

CEM-B10EA14 - Positive Temperature Coefficient heater - General Electrical Failures - short circuit to open or ground

I know my car has the PTC heater fitted (as confirmed by VIDA), but I thought this was used to supplement the car heating from cold, as it's effectively a high kW heating element. Therefore I can't understand why I'm getting the issue I am. I would have though that if the PTC heater is faulty I would get slow initial heating follwed by normal heating once the conventional system is up to temperature but this is not the case. Once my cabin is up to the set temp., then it starts to blow cold.

This PTC element is buried in the dash (item 29 on attached pic), but I don't know if the error code relates to this or the CEM itself. VIDA gives no instruction on replacing the PTC element either.

I've seen this issue on a couple of older threads on other forums, but not with any resolution.

I have the option to recalibrate the CC, but VIDA doesnt show this as being an issue.

Just wondering if anyone else has seen this issue, or can offer advice before I get the dealer involved. Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg volvo1.jpg (33.9 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg volvo2.jpg (38.7 KB, 112 views)
Old Apr 4th, 2018, 17:30   #2
Tatsfield
Premier Member

More logically it would be the electric heater which is initially providing the heat from cold and when it achieves its working temperature, it turns itself off and leaves the engine coolant heat source to take over. As this is not happening, it could be that the fault is with the flow control system providing the flow of hot coolant through the heater matrix.
Old Apr 4th, 2018, 18:15   #3
tt82
Forum Support Team

I get this sometimes as well.

It isn't stated in the manual but with my old 2001 V40 it stated that the dash air vents always take a feed from the outside. If you look in the owners manual, pg 129 it shows that when you manually choose the direction of air flow, if the dashboard air vents aren't selected, it states "Some air flows from the dashboard air vents." I believe this refers to the same airflow from outside that older models had. If you manually select the dashboard air vents, then the air coming out warms up.

My personal opinion, based on using the auto mode of climate control is that you get in the cold car and get warmer as it warms, generally by using the windscreen and dashboard air vents, possibly the floor vents as well. Once the car reaches the required temperature it moves the air from the dashboard air vents to the floor vents to maintain a comfortable temperature. This allows air drawn in from outside to pass through the dashboard vents. Depending on where these vents are directed, the draft makes you feel cold even though the car is maintaining a set temperature.

There is a warning in the manual about the B-Pillar vents and small children being sensitive to air flows or draughts. Perhaps you also are quite sensitive to them or you have the vents aimed differently because generally I can drive for up to 2 hours before getting this sensation.

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tt82 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 4th, 2018, 19:15   #4
zapcity1

Default Follow up

Had a little play and discovered the following.

When the temp is set to the same each side (22 for info. outside temp. indicated at 12), the cold air was only coming from the drivers side vents. The passenger side had a very slight airflow as expected.

Cranking up the heat to 30 both side the air delivered got hot very quickly.

It seems that I can't stop the air coming from the vents (in auto mode) on the drivers side.

As each side is individually controlled, I'm wondering if there is an issue with the actuators on the drivers side.

I think these can be tested in VIDA, so will take a look tomorrow.
Old Apr 6th, 2018, 23:36   #5
Model flyer
Master Member

Try moving heat from lo to hi a couple of times and blower controls to their limits to re-calibrate as servos can get out of sequence. Also is your battery OK as low voltage can cause all sorts of gremlins and strange problems .

Previous Volvos 740 GLE . V40 CD ,V70 2.4 SE LPT.V70 D5 P2. V70 D5 Se Lux P3. Current Jaguar XF Sportbrake but still like Volvos

Last edited by Model flyer; Apr 6th, 2018 at 23:38.
Model flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Model flyer For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 7th, 2018, 22:06   #6
zapcity1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model flyer View Post
Try moving heat from lo to hi a couple of times and blower controls to their limits to re-calibrate as servos can get out of sequence. Also is your battery OK as low voltage can cause all sorts of gremlins and strange problems .
Thanks for tip. Yes my battery voltage is lowish. I get the headlight failure warning flash up when starting, which I understand is due to the battery voltage. It doesn't affect starting etc, but I had planned to replace it at some point.
Old Apr 8th, 2018, 22:48   #7
apersson850
Premier Member

When the car is warming up the passenger compartment, warm air is coming out of the vents. Heating up a cabin is done mainly by letting warm air in at the floor level, as hot air goes upwards.

When equibrilium is reached, the car lowers the temperature on the incoming air, to avoid overheating. It may also, at a greater rate, allow air to enter through the dashboard vents, in order to keep the temperature in the car according to the good old rule "keep you feet warm and your head cold".

If you are sensitive to draught, or have the dashboard vents aimed directly at yourself, you may experience this as a chill.

If the incoming temperature is different from one side o the other, then that may depend upon that the sunshine is hitting the car from one side. Now assuming the temperature is set the same on both sides, that is.

Aim the dashboard vents into the ceiling and, if you still feel you need that, throttle the air flow in the vents. At least on cars with Sensus (from MY 2012), you can also set the fan speed the system applies automatically.
apersson850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2018, 12:20   #8
Joe Harding
Premier Member

Simple check, see if the cabin sensor, which on our series 2 is located behind a tiny grille in the climate console, is fluffed up. It normally draws air into the unit over a thermistor. When it gets fluffy it can't sense air temperature. I'm not saying this is the problem but it might just help.

Then get a VIDA unit and run a calibration of the CCM. All sorts of things happen and then on ours the heated seats burst back into life.

If you need more info, can I respectfully suggest CheshireD5 who knows a lot more about this than I do.
Old Apr 11th, 2018, 13:46   #9
zapcity1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Harding View Post
Simple check, see if the cabin sensor, which on our series 2 is located behind a tiny grille in the climate console, is fluffed up. It normally draws air into the unit over a thermistor. When it gets fluffy it can't sense air temperature. I'm not saying this is the problem but it might just help.

Then get a VIDA unit and run a calibration of the CCM. All sorts of things happen and then on ours the heated seats burst back into life.

If you need more info, can I respectfully suggest CheshireD5 who knows a lot more about this than I do.
Thanks. This was on my list of things to try. Sods law the AC compressor has started whining now, so in friday for repair!
Old Jan 21st, 2019, 15:07   #10
zapcity1

Smile Problem resolved!

Well it seems like I've sorted this issue, so would like to close it off and document for those who may have a similar problem down the line.

I went through the summer without fixing it as a lack of heating wasn't an issue! Lived with it until Christmas, but then it seemed to get worse. Freezing cold air delivered from dashtop and windscreen vents only tempered by switching to 23 degree manual heat from dash vents.

As the cabin temperature sensor in the centre console is an easy change, I decided to do this first. Not sure it was the problem, but a 2nd hand part from eBay was only £10, so nothing to lose (FoMoCo part 6G9N-19C734-AB used on lots of Volvos, Fords and Land Rovers).

I had a small rattle/buzzing from the bottom of the centre console, so decided to fix this at the same time.

When changing the temp sensor, I noticed the original part had a rattle when shaken, which was not there on the replacement. Could this be my mystery noise?

Anyway, temp sensor changed and reassembled and the rattle has gone. Test of the CC and all is working as expected. CC now set at a sensible self-regulating 20 and very comfortable.

Original fault code also disapeared from VIDA: - CEM-B10EA14 - Positive Temperature Coefficient heater - General Electrical

Fantastic result!! Thanks to all that helped.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to zapcity1 For This Useful Post: