Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Broken Subframe Bolt

Views : 5860

Replies : 48

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 9th, 2018, 22:07   #21
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Spotted these broken screw removers in Aldi today, they are cheap enough to buy just in case needed. They screw in and grip anti clockwise. Could be used for broken bolts as well, if bolt drilled.
20180709_120309(1).jpg
20180709_120318(1).jpg
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10th, 2018, 08:48   #22
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
Spotted these broken screw removers in Aldi today, they are cheap enough to buy just in case needed. They screw in and grip anti clockwise. Could be used for broken bolts as well, if bolt drilled.
Attachment 113970
Attachment 113971
why did the bolt break? did you apply so much massive torque with a long bar and the thread was seized so that the bolt sheared ? If so , no extractor will get it out unless you heat up the nut within the chassis . remember you will have to put a lot more torque through the extractor than the big bolt head would allow so the extractor will break off in the remains of the bolt and you won't even be able to drill it out then .
Old Jul 10th, 2018, 10:04   #23
AidXC90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
why did the bolt break? did you apply so much massive torque with a long bar and the thread was seized so that the bolt sheared ? If so , no extractor will get it out unless you heat up the nut within the chassis . remember you will have to put a lot more torque through the extractor than the big bolt head would allow so the extractor will break off in the remains of the bolt and you won't even be able to drill it out then .
Hi Clan,

Yes, I sheared off the head with a breaker bar. The three other subframe bolts came out easily after using the same breaker bar, so I had no reason to think the passenger's side front one would be any different.
However, there is no nut within the chassis in this situation. Instead, the bolt screws into a threaded sleeve or tube, the lower end of which forms the subframe bushing locator spigot, while the far end of the sleeve protrudes about half a centimetre above the chassis metal. The bolt's tip sits slightly recessed in this sleeve and together they form a little pond of moisture inside the chassis which rusted the bolt from the end downwards. I still can't attach pictures but when I am able to, all will become clear. .

It's very difficult to get to that end of the bolt, but I did manage to soak it in Plusgas several days ago and I can only hope it's worked its magic in the meantime. The subframe bushing locator spigot surrounding the bolt from below the car is flush with the sheared end of the bolt. I may be able to get a small kitchen blowtorch flame in to heat up the rusted end in the chassis as I think that's where the trouble started with the rust. I'll try that today. The extractors arrived yesterday but I agree that they also might fail. I watched a video on YouTube yesterday where just such an extractor snapped twice, so they are not necessrily the panacea I'd like them to be. I have to drill out the hole one more time to accomodate the extractor anyway, and if it fails to move the bolt with a fair amont of force, I'll stop using it and resume drilling the bolt to try and weaken it enough to get it out by destruction without damaging the hole's threads. That's all I can do.

I'm not in a happy frame of mind right now, but short of reassembling the subframe, steering rack, discs, pads, ball-joints, hub bearings, and control arms then taking it to a garage to have them drop the subframe again and tap the hole, I have no option. I may have to do that anyway but I owe it to myself to give it one last go.
AidXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10th, 2018, 10:08   #24
AidXC90

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
Attachment 113970
Attachment 113971
Thanks for the help nu11eaf, but the two different types of extractors I have now are more robust than these. I hope to upload some pictures of the whole thing when I find out why I can no longer post pictures. But see my reply to Clan's post for an update on extractors etc.

Thanks again for trying to help. It's a really good forum because people are so willing to help and pitch in with ideas to assist members who are stuck.

Aidan
Old Jul 10th, 2018, 10:08   #25
Clan
Experienced Member

yes I called the tubular nut a nut :-)
there should be locktite on the old bolts , which will stop water going all the way into the thread , heat melts the locktite and eases things as well as the expansion but you will need a proper oxy-acetenyl flame ..
Old Jul 10th, 2018, 11:25   #26
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

Aidan: ~ after the extractors are locked in place ( I believe the type you have are held tight- parallel) it is better to try removal by initially rocking the same i.e. left—right in small amounts rather than a major push/pull, once you detect movement keep rocking it out until you are sure it will come away.

Want to borrow a Tap? Plenty here but would be Imperial (no metric) but a suitable bolt would not be a problem.
Regards Bob

Last edited by Bob Meadows; Jul 10th, 2018 at 11:45.
Bob Meadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10th, 2018, 11:35   #27
IainG
Premier Member

Hi
The other problem with some extractors, as they are tapered, the more force you apply to the extractor the more it expands the bolt and makes it tighter in the thread. We used to use a hex extractor that hamered in to the drilled hole. Like a cut off Allen key. We found these gave a good rotational force without expanding the bolt too much. And you can turn either way, sometimes it is easier to let the sheared bolt carry on through the hole. Also if it moves a bit you can work it backwards and forwards with penetrating oil to free it up

Similar to these, but they were hex shaped as opposed to spline

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=he...UKtVbhiEPflgM:

Iain

Last edited by IainG; Jul 10th, 2018 at 11:43.
IainG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10th, 2018, 13:15   #28
AidXC90

Default Failed

Thank you to all the members who have advised me and tried to help but I think I've really hit the wall now.
I finished drilling through the bolt this morning, but before I got all the way through, I noticed the colour of the fluid exiting the hole changed to a rusty brown. I thought this might have been because the drill bit was overheating, which it was, so I changed to a new 9mm bit and proceeded.
I did drill through to the end of the bolt but it seems I was not drilling perfetly straight, no surprise there , and somewhere up towards the top I must have drilled throught the side of the bolt and into the hole's threads. That broke the dam and it must have been the rusty Plusgas flowing out of the bolt hole via the drilled hole inside the bolt.
I did try the extractor and it worked to an extent in that about 3cm of bolt came out - see pics - after snapping off from the remaining 4cm which is still lodged securely in the now buggered hole. I don't think drilling an even bigger hole will help so I presume the only option now is to reassemble the car and take it slowly to a pro to get them to drop the subframe again, finish the extraction and re-tap the hole?

I'm am not a happy person
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3cm Removed.jpg (208.8 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg Crooked Hole.jpg (178.2 KB, 56 views)
Old Jul 10th, 2018, 14:18   #29
AidXC90

Forgot to mention that after I removed the 3cm portion of the bolt, I did reinsert the extractor and tried to move the remaining portion but it didn't want to budge so I stopped trying to force it in case the extractor snapped off in the hole. I've been in touch with my local Volvo dealership to see if they can remove the bolt and tap the hole.
Old Jul 10th, 2018, 14:54   #30
luggsey
The truth is out there...

Have you tried running a new bolt up there to see if it snags the edge of the bolt that's left and drives it out?
Not much to lose now?

It's a dogs life!

XC70 D5 2006 244K Still chugging!
CRV 2.2 2006 216K Reactivated.
luggsey is offline   Reply With Quote