Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1996/P Volvo V70 10v Mk1 2.5 petrol manual.

Views : 1341

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 7th, 2019, 16:01   #1
Roderick Plinge

Cool 1996/P Volvo V70 10v Mk1 2.5 petrol manual.

Hi chaps,
I have raised this issue before, and since then I have still been unable to track down the cause of an annoying fault with my V70. I found a mechanic with an OBD II reader, but no fault appears to have been recorded - or maybe it was just that he failed to identify the record.
The car runs very well indeed, if a little 'rich' in my opinion. On an MoT (which it always passes) it takes literally ages to get the engine/cat hot enough to pass the emissions test (the car only does short journeys and the temperature gauge never rises very much, and I struggle to get hot/warm air into the car. I don't believe there are any head gasket issues.
When starting the car it will often turn over, but fail to fire. Sometimes when it does start the engine is running so rough you would think the timing was a mile out, or it was only firing on 3 or 4 cylinders. It then stalls. Turn the key and it generally starts first time and runs smooth as a cashmere codpiece.
I don't believe its fuel either, because when this fault occurs there is a strong smell of fuel, obviously resulting from the engine receiving fuel but failing to start. Recently the car broke down - a failed ignition module, which I replaced. For a couple of weeks the car ran without fault, then it started again. This is the second module fitted to the car.
My own feeling is that this is an electrical issue, and I also feel it may be damaging the ignition module, which then fails. This is all the more annoying as other than this fault the car runs sweetly. It never fails to start, it just takes a couple of goes.
The previous owner has fitted numerous electrical components, sometimes more than once which suggests to me an electrical fault. Any clues please?
Many thanks!
Roderick Plinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2019, 16:43   #2
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

Looking at the symptoms and adding my own experience,-
If the car takes ages to show hot on the temp gauge I'd suspect the thermostat is stuck in the open position. My car took ages to warm up when I bought it, it turned out the previous owner had cut out the centre of the thermostat presumably because it had jammed shut. A new thermostat is relatively cheap and easy to fit. My V70 is up to temperature within a few miles even if it's below freezing outside.
If the car is having trouble starting a big question is just how is it not starting?
If it is not getting warmed up properly on short journeys I might suspect the fabled 'Lawn Mower Syndrome' where a car that runs fine once it's going shows random non starting (after being moved out of the garage to get to the lawnmower). From personal experience with an 850 and a V70 (same engine) I believe it is due to the oil not circulating properly in the hydraulic tappets in the unwarmed engine, which leads to the valves not closing properly, so the next time you try to start it there's next to no compression, if that is the case the engine will turn over more freely than usual but not fire up. In the 850 I had I made a point to drive the long way round just to get the engine warmed through in order to prevent it happening.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DaveNP For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 7th, 2019, 17:33   #3
SteveSarre
Premier Member

Hi Roderick,

I believe that you cannot read codes from a 1996/P Volvo V70 using an OBD code reader.
The socket fits but it is not OBD compliant. Maybe someone else can confirm?

What is the ignition module that you mention? Those early V70s had one coil, distributor, rotor arms and spark plug wires not five individual coil packs. Can you tell us the Volvo part number of what you have replaced?

The temperature gauge should rise to a central position within about five minutes of driving. If it doesn't, then the thermostat is probably stuck open, or is the incorrect one. It is easy to replace. (I would use Volvo or Wahler which is cheaper. I think it should open at 90 degrees Centigrade).

Steve
V70 2.5 Turbo AWD Auto 1998 Green, V70 2.5 10V Auto BiFuel 1999 Red (scrapped) V70 20v Auto 1999 Green (scrapped)

Last edited by SteveSarre; Jan 7th, 2019 at 17:35.
SteveSarre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SteveSarre For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 7th, 2019, 17:36   #4
Roderick Plinge

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNP View Post
Looking at the symptoms and adding my own experience,-
If the car takes ages to show hot on the temp gauge I'd suspect the thermostat is stuck in the open position. My car took ages to warm up when I bought it, it turned out the previous owner had cut out the centre of the thermostat presumably because it had jammed shut. A new thermostat is relatively cheap and easy to fit. My V70 is up to temperature within a few miles even if it's below freezing outside.
If the car is having trouble starting a big question is just how is it not starting?
If it is not getting warmed up properly on short journeys I might suspect the fabled 'Lawn Mower Syndrome' where a car that runs fine once it's going shows random non starting (after being moved out of the garage to get to the lawnmower). From personal experience with an 850 and a V70 (same engine) I believe it is due to the oil not circulating properly in the hydraulic tappets in the unwarmed engine, which leads to the valves not closing properly, so the next time you try to start it there's next to no compression, if that is the case the engine will turn over more freely than usual but not fire up. In the 850 I had I made a point to drive the long way round just to get the engine warmed through in order to prevent it happening.
Thanks for the reply David, greatly appreciated! I will start by changing the thermostat and see if that affects the starting issue - which incidentally happens when the engine is hot or cold. It's great to get some useful feedback as I want to undertake a few cosmetic improvements (i.e. repaint bumpers and replace a dented wing and paint) but I'm not prepared to spend anything until I get this issue resolved. Many thanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to Roderick Plinge For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 7th, 2019, 17:46   #5
Roderick Plinge

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSarre View Post
Hi Roderick,

I believe that you cannot read codes from a 1996/P Volvo V70 using an OBD code reader.
The socket fits but it is not OBD compliant. Maybe someone else can confirm?

What is the ignition module that you mention? Those early V70s had one coil, distributor, rotor arms and spark plug wires not five individual coil packs. Can you tell us the Volvo part number of what you have replaced?

The temperature gauge should rise to a central position within about five minutes of driving. If it doesn't, then the thermostat is probably stuck open, or is the incorrect one. It is easy to replace. (I would use Volvo or Wahler which is cheaper. I think it should open at 90 degrees Centigrade).

Steve
Thanks Steve,
I do not have the part number for the coil (but I did use a non-Volvo one!) It's the module which is located on the nearside inner wing and looks similar to a motor armature. When I purchased the car it was a non-runner and this was the fault. The car has done probably less than 3000 miles, and the module failed again. I am prepared to accept that this is because I am not using genuine parts...but I'm not sure. I have just ordered a thermostat from Eurocarparts which will open at the correct temperature. I will fit this and let you know what happens! Many thanks!
Old Jan 7th, 2019, 18:57   #6
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

Just had similar problems on my V70 1997 petrol: ~ "running too cool" solved by changing the thermostat- the odd start problem can be an issue with the coolant sensor as this will affect fuel mixture readings by the management system. It is advised to also change the sensor with the thermostat & a straight forward inexpensive fix.
You should find further details relating if a search is done.
Regards Bob
Bob Meadows is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bob Meadows For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 7th, 2019, 19:10   #7
SteveSarre
Premier Member

Hi Roderick,

OK sounds like you replaced the coil.

Like this
https://www.partsforvolvosonline.com...4b2f321da0d4d1

I would consider getting a proper Volvo one (but they are expensive when new)
Where are you? I think I have a good used one.

A good thermostat won't cost much
https://www.partsforvolvosonline.com...4b2f321da0d4d1
Make sure you get a new seal with it.

When did you last check or change the spark plugs? (Use Volvo original unless you think you know better).
How old are the ignition leads? The original leads are made by Bougicord (and the week and year of manufacture is marked on each lead).
When did you last check distributor cap and rotor arm? You can scrape the contact points clean if you dont want to buy a new cap yet.

Steve
V70 2.5 Turbo AWD Auto 1998 Green, V70 2.5 10V Auto BiFuel 1999 Red (scrapped) V70 20v Auto 1999 Green (scrapped)

Last edited by SteveSarre; Jan 7th, 2019 at 19:16.
SteveSarre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SteveSarre For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 7th, 2019, 19:31   #8
volvo again
Master Member

Agree with all the posts above, replacing the thermostat should improve warm up...starting may be the cam position sensor...
and I think you need to make a flash code reader to read codes, although the ODB socket is there (this is where you use the flas code reader) a '96 model probably won't be ODB compliant.

How to make a flash code.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=83897
volvo again is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to volvo again For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 8th, 2019, 11:40   #9
Roderick Plinge

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Meadows View Post
Just had similar problems on my V70 1997 petrol: ~ "running too cool" solved by changing the thermostat- the odd start problem can be an issue with the coolant sensor as this will affect fuel mixture readings by the management system. It is advised to also change the sensor with the thermostat & a straight forward inexpensive fix.
You should find further details relating if a search is done.
Regards Bob

Thanks Bob, advice greatly appreciated. I’ll be doing the thermostat and sensor before the MoT next week.
Old Jan 8th, 2019, 11:41   #10
Roderick Plinge

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo again View Post
Agree with all the posts above, replacing the thermostat should improve warm up...starting may be the cam position sensor...
and I think you need to make a flash code reader to read codes, although the ODB socket is there (this is where you use the flas code reader) a '96 model probably won't be ODB compliant.

How to make a flash code.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=83897
That’s great thanks for the advice. I’ll have a crack at this. I think I may have changed the cam position sensor about two years ago, I’ll have to check that. Thanks again.