Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

High pressure diesel fuel lines

Views : 1217

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 19th, 2019, 05:56   #1
Arash79

Default High pressure diesel fuel lines

Hi guys,

I recently pulled the valve over off of my 08 xc90, and now I have been told that I have to replace the diesel fuel lines as they are a single use item. I have called and talked to a number of Volvo mechanics in my area and they say that this isn't true and the lines can be used again...maybe even for a third time too.

I was just wondering if any of you can shed some light on this issue as the Volvo dealer days the car will catch on fire if I reuse the fuel lines.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Arash79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2019, 08:42   #2
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Only new fuel lines are guaranteed to seal properly, and replacing them each time is thus recommended by Volvo. Due to the way they deform and seal when tightened up. That's the official dealer line.

Of course, you are free to choose to ignore Volvo's recommendations, and refit your old fuel lines.

This is what the other garages that you spoke to would do.
There is just no guarantee that they will seal and not leak fuel.

It doesn't mean that they WILL leak fuel - it just means the guarantee is not there.

So if you reuse the old fuel lines and they don't leak, then you are fine.
But if you reuse them and they leak, then you need to replace them.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2019, 08:46   #3
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Volvo policy is to fit new lines and with good reason - this ensures that your car will not have any leaks as a result of work done at a dealer.

However in practice, if refitted carefully and correctly the chances of a leak are low. Make sure the joins are clean, tighten them correctly, let the car tick over for 10 mins checking carefully for leaks. Check again after 20 miles or so.

I have reused them on many cars maybe not hundreds of times but certainly tens with no issues.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2019, 08:49   #4
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

In addition, be extremely careful that there are no leaks when the engine is running because the diesel is under extremely high pressure , allegedly capable of penetrating skin.

Many many on here have reused the existing pipes with no issues whatsoever and that's what I would choose to do if I was doing it BUT it's up to you to decide.

Just ensure everything is done up properly to minimise possibility of leaks if you do decide to go that way.

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2019, 09:42   #5
Zebster
Upstanding Member

I refitted the high pressure diesel lines on my similar vintage Accord (Bosch common rail system running at 1600bar) and, despite instructions in the official Honda workshop manual to fit new ones, there were no leaks.

My thoughts were to try it, then replace them if there was any subsequent leaks. A garage would have to get it right first time.
Old Jan 19th, 2019, 11:14   #6
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

The pressure in the common rail diesel system is considerable when the engine is running.... but the volume of diesel being pumped is very low. Whilst it could easily penetrate skin at full pressure, it would need to be sprayed from a pin hole type nozzle. If the pipes were to leak, the diesel would have to work its way out of the hose union or through the threads by which point it would have lost all pressure and be a "seep". If there was a really bad leak (e.g. open pipe) then the pressure would be very low as the leak volume would be way above the volume the pump is capable of.

So provided you are sensible and methodical, it is safe for home mechanics to work on the high pressure side of the fuel system.
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Old Jan 19th, 2019, 12:18   #7
Arash79

Thanks everybody for your replies. This give me more confidence to reuse the lines.

Just another question...are the lines supposed to be tightened to a specific torque setting or just do them up as tight as you can?
Old Jan 19th, 2019, 19:06   #8
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

I think there is a torque listed for them but it's tricky to do that with a spanner.....

They don't want to be too tight either, I would try to replicate how tight they were when you undid them. You do not want to be stripping threads on your injectors...
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Old Jan 20th, 2019, 01:40   #9
Arash79

Ok I'll give it a go and let you all know how I go.

Thank you for your help.
Old Jan 20th, 2019, 10:18   #10
barrybritcher
Flaccid Member

I have reused them many times on Mondeo TDCI just keep them clean (IPA, carb cleaner etc) and don't wrench the hell out of them you'll be fine.

Just keep an eye on the threads.
barrybritcher is offline   Reply With Quote