Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo no longer makes diesel engines...

Views : 1954

Replies : 41

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 28th, 2024, 16:36   #11
Bagheera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotosound View Post
Why do I think that this is all going to end very badly?

The 2020s might well go down in history as the decade of virtue signalling, and also the decade when that virtue signalling led to the downfall of The West. It feels as though the only time that people look up from their phones and tablets is to virtue signal. Not a good way to deal with the world around them.

(And why won't my iPad let me position my cursor where I want it to be?)

(And why do I feel so negative about things?)
Well said.
Old Mar 28th, 2024, 17:52   #12
don kalmar union
Trader

Default What suits Volvo Car's Chinese owners?

Little thought is given to Volvo Cars being one hundred percent owned by the Chinese and will only... ever... ever make decisions in the interests of chinese investors and with the approval of the chinese communist party. Give it a thought before you buy one of their cars..... wherever they infer that it may be built, assembled... whatever.

It will not end well for those who buy a new Volvo.... maybe you will get away with it on a relatively short finance/PCP or whatever.... but.... but in the longer term beware.

MTE performance software , TME and Ferrita stainless exhausts, AP heavy duty clutch kits, KU single mass flywheels and LSDs. 01494 785508. email don@kalmar-union.com

www.kalmar-union.com
don kalmar union is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to don kalmar union For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 28th, 2024, 18:53   #13
baggy798
🤍💙💗

Doesn't every car manufacturer make decisions in the interests of it's investors? Are the CCP pushing for electrification? Either way, diesel's days are numbered for passenger cars in the west.
Old Mar 29th, 2024, 01:04   #14
Whippy
Premier Member

It might be worth throwing into the mix that China's economy is teetering on the edge at the moment. With the bankruptcy of not only Evergrand but also most of the property finance what will be the effect on Chinese auto makers?
Old Mar 29th, 2024, 01:53   #15
GMcL
0's and 1's

The Chinese government is throwing billions at EV and the supply chain. Volvo can be bullish about the shift to EV as they are relatively well protected by their owners, Geely and Li Shufu.

Edit: That VEA four cylinder won't be missed, not a patch on the Penta motor.

Previous: 2005 Volvo S60 D5 Sport - 2017 Focus RS

Last edited by GMcL; Mar 29th, 2024 at 01:58.
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 2024, 07:09   #16
Lost Medic
Proud Volvo owner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
Shell are supposedly closing petrol stations too. It seems like there's a shift to electric with no proper infrastructure plan.

I've definitely come across more EV's on the road. Its actually surprising how many there are around here.
I live in the Czech Republic and EV's are few and far between due to the extreme cold and lack of charging stations.

A few weeks ago it was -17 when I left for work and the neighbour has a Tesla S. No charge and unable to unlock it. Would not charge up at all and only showed errors. He had to call recovery.

It has now been returned under Czech consumer law.
Lost Medic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lost Medic For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 29th, 2024, 08:05   #17
Fika

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamBrown1 View Post
...The nordics really have taken electric on...I just can’t see electric taking hold here mainstream, forget the infrastructure argument, it’s our routines we don’t like to change...
I spent some time in a "Nordic region" and found they have cheaper electricity and source most of their electricity from things like hydroelectric/renewables which makes it economically and environmentally feasible for them. But they also walk and cycle alot, even in subzero temps, seen a few people pootling along @ -35degC...

In the UK we demonise cyclists, walking is for peasants, and any attempt to encourage us to use cheaper and healthier modes of transportation is a "woke liberal agenda" as opposed to a "patriotic" (we need to be fighting fit, right?) and fiscally responsible one.
Fika is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fika For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 29th, 2024, 08:33   #18
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

I can't be the only one here old enough to remember when diesel engines were viewed as only fit for trucks, taxis and tractors, then along came a government/green movement pushing diesel as the saviour of transport and now no one wants to get rid of it.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DaveNP For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 29th, 2024, 10:39   #19
The Thong
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNP View Post
I can't be the only one here old enough to remember when diesel engines were viewed as only fit for trucks, taxis and tractors, then along came a government/green movement pushing diesel as the saviour of transport and now no one wants to get rid of it.
The early diesels that were fitted in Ford cars were awful. Sods to start on cold mornings, Smokey and were susceptible to cracking their heads. I had a Transit with a York in it. It was a reliable old chunk but it was a pain when cold starting, noisy and not particularly economical. Once the likes of VW and PSA got their teeth into making diesels better they became viable.
Once they started fitting EGR, DPF, Adblue etc etc for me the problems began. I had a Peugeot 206 car van. It had an old skool mechanical injection pump, none turbo diesel engine. It was very economical and reliable. It went survive to service without any issue only requiring the usual consumables. After that I had a Berlingo Hdi and it was a disaster. It lived in the dealership, it wasn’t a patch on my 206.
We had an issue with one of our 2021 Transit Connects. Adblue sensor went on it. Near two grand to supply and code it. The van kept throwing up warning lights and then one day the engine blew up. The report come back that something (haven’t got the details) and it caused the engine to burn one of the pistons and then….. Boom!! It strikes me that modern diesels have become so over complicated that even dealers struggle with em. Back to petrol for me in that case

TT
Old Mar 29th, 2024, 12:34   #20
Sotosound
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fika View Post
I spent some time in a "Nordic region" and found they have cheaper electricity and source most of their electricity from things like hydroelectric/renewables which makes it economically and environmentally feasible for them. But they also walk and cycle alot, even in subzero temps, seen a few people pootling along @ -35degC...

In the UK we demonise cyclists, walking is for peasants, and any attempt to encourage us to use cheaper and healthier modes of transportation is a "woke liberal agenda" as opposed to a "patriotic" (we need to be fighting fit, right?) and fiscally responsible one.
As a former cyclist myself, I don't regard the use of them as "woke", and I'm not sure who does. They're cheap to run and keep their owners fitter.

The problem in 2024 is that many, many cyclists use the pavements, which they shouldn't do, rather than roads, although this is probably in part because of the state of the roads.

Some cyclists also disregard safety such as observing traffic lights or walking their bikes across pedestrian crossings.

Five years ago, I therefore accidentally hit a cyclist, who was riding across a pedestrian crossing after the lights had gone against him. He got a bruise on his shin and my V70's front got badly misshapen as it absorbed the impact of him landing on it. It took many months, but he eventually paid up through his mum's household insurance.

So, in my view, "woke liberal agenda" aren't relevant and nor are bikes per se. It's more about riders who should know better but who might actually have been raised to care less.